2.35 field monitor? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old April 18th, 2003, 02:03 AM   #1
Regular Crew

2.35 field monitor?

Hey all,

With Optex having finally made a 16:9 adapter for the XL1s, my next feature is going to be shot 2.35:1 using that with the in-camera 16:9 added. Does anyone happen to know if there is a field monitor available that can resolve an anamorphic 2.35 signal so I don't have to look at everything all skooshed?

Thanks in advance,

Shawn
Old April 18th, 2003, 02:31 PM   #2
Wrangler

I had my Sony 9" modified with a switch to handle anamorphic images, but I don't know of any CRT monitors that are built with this capability.
Old April 18th, 2003, 06:53 PM   #3
Wrangler

This may not be what you're looking for, but the following site has info on all the "secret codes" needed to access hidden service menus on major brands of TV sets. You could use this to adjust the vertical size of the image and get the desired aspect ratio on a small screen TV: http://209.145.176.7/~090/awh/how2adj.html#5
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2003, 07:35 PM   #4
Trustee

The new monitors have switchable aspect ratio .I know the JVC's do for sure.

This is a canadian site but they're all the same spec.
http://www.jvc.ca/en/pro/product-detail.asp?model=TM-910SU

For less than $600 US you can get underscan, blue check and switchable aspect ratio.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bh2.sph/FrameWork.class?FNC=ProductActivator__Aproductlist_html___127285___JVTM910SU___REG___CatID=1981___SI D=F4DAB5891A0
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2003, 11:49 PM   #5
Obstreperous Rex

Try this, for $600:

http://www.nebtek.com/7inch/neb70.html

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2003, 01:04 AM   #6
Trustee

The CRT will still knock the pants of of any LCD. The LCD will not have bluecheck or underscan..
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2003, 01:22 AM   #7
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Bryan,
The unit that Chris points to is actually a Panasonic 7" LCD monitor. I own one and can say that it's head-and-shoulders above its peers in brightness and resolution. It can be operated off a/c or 12v power as-is. Nebtek can also adapt it to run off of standard 7.2v BP series Canon batteries making it a very handy accessory, especially for XL1s owners.

True, it does not have the same calibration facilities that a CRT monitor features (ex: blue-only and underscan display) but it shows pretty darn true colors and it does display the entire video frame wall-to-wall (unlike built-in camera LCD's). Most germane to Shawn's original question, it does feature several built-in display modes, one of which is 16:9 (just like a Sony production monitor).

So, no, it's not appropriate for use as a color-correction platform. But it -is- a very good, compact, lightweight alternative to schlepping (in my case) a 12 lb 8" Sony 8042Q field monitor.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2003, 01:34 AM   #8
Obstreperous Rex

Quite right, I did not mean it as a replacement for a pro CRT field monitor. Just offering a relatively inexpensive alternative is all.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2003, 05:30 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanks for all the replies everyone...
Unfortunately, a monitor with anamorphic 16:9 will only unsquish my image halfway, does anyone know of a monitor that will handle a full 2.35:1?

Thanks again for any help anyone can offer.

Shawn
Old April 19th, 2003, 10:39 AM   #10
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Unfortunately, I think we're back to where Charles started. No, I know of no monitor that will display this image correctly.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2003, 11:42 AM   #11
Wrangler

Sorry if I'm missing something, but why don't you just use a 16:9 monitor and mask it off to 2.35:1 with tape or something? Then in post you can crop as needed. Unless I'm mistaken there is no advantage to using the "electronic 16:9" anyway (although I'm aware of some controversy on this topic :-)
Old April 23rd, 2003, 10:36 AM   #12
RED Code Chef

Boyd is correct. Instead of cropping you could also resize it in post
for the same effect.

I also know of no monitor that can display anamorphic 2.35 signals.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2003, 09:16 AM   #13
Major Player

2.35:1 anamorphic

You might try using a 1.77x anamorphic fresnel...I've seen a number of companies that make cylindrical fresnels...I believe you can take two of them , invert one, and you get an anamorphic image. I'm currently researching this...I'll post the info if I have a quick answer or if I start selling corrective kits.
Brandt Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2003, 12:28 PM   #14
Wrangler

Re: 2.35:1 anamorphic

<<<-- Originally posted by Brandt Wilson : You might try using a 1.77x anamorphic fresnel -->>>

Problem with this is that he wants 2:35:1. If you add a 1.77:1 lens (isn't it really 1.78 or 1.7777 :-) to an existing 1.78:1 image the resulting aspect ratio should be 3.16:1, more like Cinerama...
Old April 28th, 2003, 02:34 PM   #15
Regular Crew

I thank you all for your replies, but it does seem as if I'm out of luck on this one. Does anyone maybe know of a device that will convert a 16:9 image for display on a 4:3 monitor? If something like that exists, perhaps I could use that in conjunction with a 16:9 monitor to achieve my 2.35 image. And if nothing like that exists, then why not? Some one must be slipping.

-Shawn

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software