Cheap HD monitor for JVC Pro HD - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old March 23rd, 2007, 03:30 PM   #16
Regular Crew

HD LCD monitor

SWIT now make a range of 8" HD LCD monitors that will take a range of inputs including HD-SDI and component input. I'd classify these as mid price range.
http://www.swit-battery.com/swit2006...ewproducts.asp
Phil Balsdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2007, 08:34 AM   #17
Trustee

What 800x480 VGA monitor are you referring to for $90 or am I mis-understanding?

Also, I have an XLh1 and was thinking of using the mayflash device to hook to a 1280x720P LCD. How does the Mayflash handle 1080i to 720P conversion?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jad Meouchy View Post
Just to follow up, I purchased a Mayflash YUV->RGB converter from SewellDirect for ~$55 and it works well. While it does appear to be a european model, the necessary AC adapter was included. The unit is very small, very light, and the picture quality is excellent. Its little power adapter feeds it 6VDC, so it should be able to run directly off four AA batteries or a step-down from 12+VDC coming out of a battery pack.

For field previewing, I plan to use an 800x480 16:9 VGA monitor ala Xenarc/Lilliput. Resolution should be sufficient for focusing, especially if I can disable scaling and run at x720. Color accuracy will not be expected from a $90 monitor, though they are very adjustable.
Marty Hudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2007, 12:17 PM   #18
Major Player

I bought a 7" off ebay and got it for $90 because of a bad touchscreen. I just bought a non-TS 9.2" with RCA as well as VGA inputs for 150 shipped. If you buy new, with working touchscreens, you can find them for ~210 shipped. Lilliput, Xenarc, Dynamix, TView -- they are all basically the same internals.

I'm not sure about 1080i->720p, but I would not expect the device to do that. It basically just converts YUV to RGB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Hudzik View Post
What 800x480 VGA monitor are you referring to for $90 or am I mis-understanding?

Also, I have an XLh1 and was thinking of using the mayflash device to hook to a 1280x720P LCD. How does the Mayflash handle 1080i to 720P conversion?

Thanks!

If there is demand, I could probably do a bulk buy for the monitors, Mayflashes, and power converters, and pass along some of the savings as a 'kit'. I'm buying as many different monitors as I can to figure out the best one(s); I will report on this soon.
Old March 30th, 2007, 01:05 PM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jad Meouchy View Post
I'm not sure about 1080i->720p, but I would not expect the device to do that. It basically just converts YUV to RGB.
So if I took a Canon that outputs 1080i and plugged it into a Mayflash to take it from YUV to RGB it would output a 1080i RGB signal. How does a small 800x480 or 1280x720 handle an RGB 1080i signal? Does it scale it? Or does it just not work because it is not a supported resoution?

Thanks.
Old March 30th, 2007, 07:23 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Hudzik View Post
So if I took a Canon that outputs 1080i and plugged it into a Mayflash to take it from YUV to RGB it would output a 1080i RGB signal. How does a small 800x480 or 1280x720 handle an RGB 1080i signal? Does it scale it? Or does it just not work because it is not a supported resoution?
It depends on the monitor. I assume the cheaper monitors would attempt to stretch or simply display 'mode not supported'. I believe the HD100 can convert on the fly to 480/60p and that should be good enough for most purposes. There are very few LCD panels that can display a full 1280x720 let alone 1080i in < 8", so it's not like that Marshall monitor is going to give you any more pixels. It will just be able to better stretch those larger formats into the common 800x480 size (and offer inputs/outputs galore).

'Native resolution' is the real resolution of the panel. 'Max resolution' means nothing.
Old March 30th, 2007, 10:07 PM   #21
Trustee

I have my eyes on a cool little 17" Widescreen Gateway for under $200 that is native 1280x720. It would be perfect for the HD100 but I have a Canon XL-H1. I wish I could find out how it would react to a 1080i signal before I invest in it.

Thanks!
Old April 4th, 2007, 09:24 PM   #22
Major Player

So I got my 9" widescreen and the mayflash and hooked it all up... and realized that I cannot get the HD100 to downres its component outputs to SD in realtime. It can do it for playback, but not live. The cheap LCD cannot downres from 1280x720; it is expecting 480p. Is this something that was changed in the HD110? Is there an unlock in the service menu?

Doh!
Old April 23rd, 2007, 12:38 AM   #23
New Boot

Gateway Monitor from Costco Canada works wonderfully!

It says" HD Monitor" and is the 1680x1050 and it recognises the 720p through component inputs. This works great for focus and composing shots.

It swivels to the side and other directions too. It goes well in a pelican case with the foam fitted perfectly...

The wife doesn't mind using it here and there for my projects. It did come with the Gateway computer at Costco Canada.
Scott Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2007, 07:15 AM   #24
Wrangler

I have the Gateway 21" widescreen monitor (1050x1680) which I assume is the same as yours. I have used it with my Sony Z1 and at first it seemed very nice. But the more I used it I realized I couldn't quite calibrate the brightness correctly. With the brightness turned all the way up the screen is still too dim. The only thing you can do is turn the contrast up higher, and at a certain point it will start blowing out the highlights.

I've tried playing with all the controls, and have come to the conclusion that the image always looks too dark on this screen, or else too contrasty if you crank the contrast way up. But it works fine for focus, and it is also fine as a second computer monitor.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software