Broadcast monitor for color correction at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old March 23rd, 2007, 01:41 PM   #1
New Boot

Broadcast monitor for color correction

I am ideally looking for the all-in-one solution - a monitor that can be used for field use as well as for CC in post. A couple people have suggested the JVC TM910SU. While I considered a 9" monitor specifically for its portability in the field, I think a more realistic solution for me is to use a small cheapo TV (ouch!!!) for framing my shots in the field and a larger broadcast monitor in post for CC.

Thoughts on this?

For post, I was looking into these monitors:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...goryNavigation
OR
OR

Does anyone have any experience with any of these monitors or any other suggestions of what to look for in a monitor?

Thanks all!

Eric
Eric T. Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2007, 02:01 PM   #2
Major Player

Where are you using it for? HD or SD?
Vincent Rozenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2007, 02:10 PM   #3
New Boot

Ahh yes Vincent. Great question. I guess I left that out. SD. I use a DVX100.
Eric T. Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2007, 02:30 PM   #4
Major Player

The size of the monitors you listed are harder to work with in the field. Having a monitor along, while sometimes a hassle, is very helpful because it gives you greater confidence with lighting, focusing, and framing than an on-camera LCD can. I would be lothe to trust a small consumer TV for these critical tasks.

I have a 9" Ikegami that I got from B&H that I have been quite happy with. I use it in my sudio and in the field (with a nice portabrace bag). It has blue gun (makes calibration easier) and switches 4:3 to 16:9. The smaller size has not proved to be a limitation in studio because I sit close to it.
Peter Wiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2007, 05:43 PM   #5
Major Player

You really need the underscan option for field work. Getting the exact right distance between the top of the screen and the person's head sometimes needs to be viewed in underscan.

Also, sometimes there is something just out of view that you don't want to enter frame and without underscan you won't know how close you are to having it in frame.

I've actually allowed the tip of a microphone to barely enter the frame (when it's been mounted to a c-stand) but I needed to know that it was barely in underscan rather than barely within the picture.

Last edited by Alessandro Machi; March 24th, 2007 at 07:43 PM.
Alessandro Machi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2008, 11:40 AM   #6
New Boot

What broadcast monitors would you recommend for color correction and color grading?
Ravi Kiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2008, 11:28 PM   #7
Major Player

I've got a sony 8045 with a petrol bag for $700 shipped on ebay which you can use the live.com discount for 30% off. This is arguably the best sd field monitor ever created. marstaton4@hotmail.com if interested.
Marshall Staton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software