Which Video Monitor to buy ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old April 27th, 2003, 08:07 AM   #1
New Boot

Which Video Monitor to buy ?

I do semi-prof DV editing and want to upgrade from my standard Sony Trinitron TV as output monitor to a proper Video-Edit monitor. anything bewteen 14" and 17" is ok.

I have 2 candidates now and don't know which to chose.

Sony PVM14L4, a 14" for 1659 euro
and
Panasonic TM-H1750CG, a 17" for 939 euro

Of course the Panasonic looks a much better deal, but what's the catch here ?

Anybody any suggestion, even for another monitor.
Any help will be appricated,
Thanks,
Peter
Peter Dorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2003, 08:26 AM   #2
Warden

Be sure and do a search on monitors, using the search function in the upper right corner. The immediate disadvantage I notice is the 17" size is too large for the average studio. The editor would be setting too close to get an accurate view. I would suggest the 14" on that basis alone, for a small studio. Sony has other models (many of which have been mentioned here before) that would be closer in price.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2003, 05:40 PM   #3
Hawaiian Shirt Mogul

don't know the euro models but for US
in general the more you pay the more resolution, gamma/color accuracy & features you get ...
do you want 16x9 ? do you want blue only ( to adjust hue/satuation) , underscan, switching for 2-3 inputs , RGB inputs ? component in ?

14m4u ( note it has SMPTE-C phosphors= excellent for doing color correction)
14" (13"V) Trinitron color production monitor features over 800TVL resolution. SMPTE-C phosphors for accurate color matching. Knob type controls for easy setup, menu driven CPU with on screen display (OSD). accepts NTSC, NTSC (4.43), PAL, SECAM in Composite, Y/C and RGB and Y/R-Y/B-Y formats. Pulse cross, underscan, 16:9, remote and tally. EIA rack mountable, metal cabinet $1500

14m2u
14" (13"V) Trinitron color production monitor features over 600TVL resolution. Dark tint CRT with P22 phosphors. Knob type controls for easy setup, menu driven CPU with on screen display (OSD). Accepts NTSC, NTSC(4.43), PAL, SECAM in Composite, Y/C and RGB and Y/R-Y/B-Y formats. Pulse cross, underscan, 16:9, remote and tally. EIA rack mountable, metal cabinet. $1200

14m5u
14" (13" viewable) Trinitron color monitor features: 500 TV lines resolution, accepts 4 color standards (NTSC/PAL/SECAM/NTSC4.43), 6500K color temperature, on screen display in 5 languages, beam current feedback, metal cabinet, universal power supply 100-240V (UL listed for 120V/50Hz only), audio, inputs: 2 composite, 2 Y/C. New features include: new picture improvement IC and short cut operation menu. $580

14m6u
14" (13" viewable) Trinitron color monitor features: 500 TV lines resolution, accepts 4 color standards (NTSC/PAL/SECAM/NTSC4.43), 6500K color temperature, on screen display in 5 languages, beam current feedback, metal cabinet, universal power supply 100-240V (UL listed for 120V/50Hz only), audio, inputs: 2 composite, 2 Y/C, 1 RGB, 1 Ext. Sync for RGB, contact closure remote control, 4:3/16:9 switchable aspect ratio. New features include: new picture improvement IC and short cut operation menu. $680
Don Donatello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2003, 06:45 PM   #4
Major Player

so what place has the PVM-14m4u for sale that is trust worthy. I couldn't find it on the sony business site but maybe it is a hidden link or something. Maybe I just didn't look.

Rob:D
Robert Poulton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2003, 07:46 PM   #5
Wrangler

B&H
Old May 2nd, 2003, 08:58 PM   #6
Major Player

Might want to look at this Pansonic H 1390YN

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bh2.sph/FrameWork.class?FNC=ProductActivator__Aproductlist_html___154344___PABTH1390YO___REG___CatID=1981___ SID=F5231ACFFF0

It's listed as used (at the winter olympics) but the one they sold me looks and acts new. 700 lines, component in plus the other good stuff and for less than $700. I love it.
Rob Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2003, 03:59 AM   #7
Major Player

Yah I looked on the BH site but all they had was the side bars that would hold the monitor. Is there any other place I could get it or did they stop making the monitor. Thanks Rob. Is the description right? Is it SMPTE-C and all the other features it lists?
Let me know I would like to buy this if they still have them.

Rob:D
Old May 3rd, 2003, 09:36 AM   #8
Wrangler

CAll B&H. They are open tomorrow IIRC.

Or you can try HT Electronics in Fremont or Reno or Snader in Marin (may hae a Sacramento office too). These are full-price places.

I have a friend with a very nice Sony monitor that auto switches between 4:3 & 16:9 and has all the nice inputs except 1394. Don't know the model number but it was around $1200 IIRC. The very newest monitors will also 1394. The good part about 1394 is it carries both video and audio. Only one (albiet not too robust) cable/connector to hook up. I understand the daisy-chaining or hub connections for 1394 are not fully foolproof yet.

Another alternative is to consider a field monitor. Something in 8 or 9 inches is just enough for editing if it is reasonably close and it sure makes a difference in the field when you have time to set it up.

I first bought a 14" JVC B-Stock unit for about $800 that is superb. All the bells and whistles.

I like it better than the very expensive Sony we bought at the community college that is going bad after being run about 2 hours per week during the school year over about 7 years. The CRT cathode is running out of electrons. Almost too dark to use as the master monitor.
Old May 3rd, 2003, 10:22 AM   #9
Major Player

Do some sony monitors now carry firewire, i have never seen that.
That would be fantastic for me, i am in the market to buy one, and i can save all the money of buying a advc 100 converter as well, do you have links to any of these monitors?

Zac
Zac Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2003, 10:28 AM   #10
Major Player

Rob D,

B&H's web site still lists them as in stock. Pretty good deal when you consider all the features and that they retail at over $1100. Correction - 750 lines, not 700 and yes SMPTE phosphors.
Old May 4th, 2003, 01:51 AM   #11
Major Player

Hey thanks Rob.
LOL I will have to call them this week. Oh that D is suppose to be :D for smilie but it doesn't work on this forum. Habbit.

Rob
Old May 4th, 2003, 03:43 AM   #12
Major Player

I have a question, which people may be able to answer who are watching this thread.

How close can you keep a tv monitor, to a computer monitor and/or your computer as well.

Zac
Zac Stein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2003, 10:32 AM   #13
Contributor

<<<-- Originally posted by Rob Wilson : Rob D,

B&H's web site still lists them as in stock. Pretty good deal when you consider all the features and that they retail at over $1100. Correction - 750 lines, not 700 and yes SMPTE phosphors. -->>>

Hi Rob,

Where are you seeing them on B&H's site? I've been trying to track down either a 14M2U or 14M4U and it seems that they've been phased out by their new L5 (?) series.

Any suggestions on where to find one of these - either new, refurbed, or gently used - at a good price would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Clayton
Clayton Farr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2003, 10:36 AM   #14
Major Player

Clayton,

Here is a link to B&H's page

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bh2.sph/FrameWork.class?FNC=ProductActivator__Aproductlist_html___154344___PABTH1390YO___REG___CatID=1981___ SID=F52B2F94A70

Hope this helps
Old May 4th, 2003, 06:41 PM   #15
Contributor

Thanks Rob.

I guess I had misunderstood your previous post, I thought you meant that the PVM-14M4u's were still available at B&H. None the less, this monitor looks like a great deal too.

At the risk of starting yet another mfr mud-slinging session, what have most people's experience been with non-Sony production monitors? They certainly are more bang for the buck...

The major reservation I seem to keep hearing is that each mfr's monitor has its own 'look' and that the Sony's are the look that most expect. This seems somewhat counter intuitive since the whole point of such a monitor is consistency to standards, right? But I've only had experience with Sony so I'm a bit in the dark.

If I could rationalize that I wouldn't be painting myself into a corner with the Panasonic or a similar featured JVC, the savings would be significant and it would be nice to know that I am not purchasing just on blind label loyalty...

Any insights, testimonials, or caveats would be appreciated.

Thanks again,
Clayton
Clayton Farr is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software