Is this monitor adequate for HD ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old April 26th, 2007, 10:49 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Is this monitor adequate for HD ?

I am really leaning towards this JVC TMH-150CGU
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

I only need the monitor for calibration the colors and not for field use (focus ...etc).

I have the Canon XH- A1 and PAnasonic HVX 200 which are both HD. I know, but I cant afford $2500 monitor right now.

Would this monitor do it for my needs ?
Jason Strongfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2007, 02:46 PM   #2
Wrangler

That looks like a standard definition monitor with s-video input, so you would need to send it a downconverted signal somehow. Depending on how you want to connect it, that might be a problem and of course you would only be seeing a 720x480 image.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2007, 03:53 PM   #3
Regular Crew

the hvx200 would down convert HD to SD, so I can plug that cam to the firewire on the computer and then via component to the monitor.

I know its going to be lowered resolution, but for just the purpose of color calibration and general framing, would this monitor be adequate ?
Jason Strongfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2007, 05:39 PM   #4
Wrangler

This really gets beyond my technical knowledge, but I believe HD and SD have different colorspaces so that might be a problem. Maybe someone else can help with this?

Also, to the best of my knowledge you cannot monitor HDV via firewire in realtime. I think you can do this with DVCPro sequences however.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2007, 07:24 PM   #5
Inner Circle

There's three differences between HD and SD. In practice, most people only cover the first.

1- Rec. 601 versus rec. 709 luma co-efficients. The short story is that you have to convert correctly between them. If you don't, then HD color bars will never be calibratable (is that a word?) and then you'll know your colors are wrong.

2- Different primaries (the exact color/chromaticity of red, green, and blue).
(modern) HD = Rec. 709 primaries
For SD, NTSC = SMPTE C primaries/phosphors while Europe and Japan are EBU primaries.

In practice, a lot of high-end HD work is done on Sony BVMs with SMPTE C primaries. As well, HD-->SD downconversion is often done without compensating for the different primaries. It's because we don't notice the color (in)accuracy differences.

3- Different transfer functions (see Poynton's gamma FAQ). Again, Sony BVMs have a single transfer function (the inherent CRT transfer function)... so these monitors don't account for this difference.

The largest Sony BVM (32") is the most expensive monitor on the market and it doesn't account for these very small differences (#2 and #3) between SD and HD colorspace.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2007, 11:12 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Strongfield View Post
I am really leaning towards this JVC TMH-150CGU
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

I only need the monitor for calibration the colors and not for field use (focus ...etc).

I have the Canon XH- A1 and PAnasonic HVX 200 which are both HD. I know, but I cant afford $2500 monitor right now.

Would this monitor do it for my needs ?
This monitor has slots for card options (Component Video- Option w/ IF-CO1COMG provides 3-BNC (x 2 input, 2 output). I wonder how the 16:9 mode looks with this card installed.

Maybe some day I'll run down to JVC in Cypress & see if I can get them to try & sell me one if... ONLY IF, they let me check it out with the component option card installed :) Then again, the card is probably as much, if not more than the monitor :-\

Bill

*edit* I just found a ball park price for the component card... $250 or so.
Bill Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2007, 08:04 PM   #7
Regular Crew

So guys, Just for the purpose of color calibration, Would this JVC work with the Hvx200 or not ??
Jason Strongfield is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software