DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   The View: Video Display Hardware and Software (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/)
-   -   Can my computer be a monitor? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/view-video-display-hardware-software/96171-can-my-computer-monitor.html)

Lisa Bennett June 9th, 2007 10:39 AM

Can my computer be a monitor?

For an onlocation shoot I'm not shooting in HD, using DV with the jvc gy-hd100u. I just need a monitor for the basics....

Is anyone using their laptop as a monitor? What program are you using on laptop to view while shooting?
Lisa

Craig Roblewsky June 9th, 2007 11:07 AM

DV Rack is what we use and I have no complaints. Cheers.

Andris Krastins June 12th, 2007 11:31 AM

What about using a conventional laptop as a HDV monitor, is it possible?
Thanks

Cary Lee June 15th, 2007 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig Roblewsky (Post 694512)
DV Rack is what we use and I have no complaints. Cheers.

I also use DVrack HD on my laptop..but I found it to be good when looking at the meters and for clipping purposes. In addition to have it monitor overall settings..but for critical focusing..it is not as good as my Nebtek because DV compression kills the resolution when feeding the output to the laptop using firewire.

Jim Andrada June 19th, 2007 12:32 PM

I might be missing something, but wouldn't the DV compression also be what you see on tape? And if so, wouldn't focusing at the same net "resolution" as the final product be adequate?

I can understand how the compression could make it harder to focus accurately than the raw analog image, but would think that you wouldn't see the difference in the final images.

I'm not in any way taking issue with what you've said, just trying to understand better.

Robert Thomas Baumer June 28th, 2007 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andris Krastins (Post 695746)
What about using a conventional laptop as a HDV monitor, is it possible?
Thanks

I wanted to get more info about the same thing. I think if you shoot in 720P an Lcd montor can handle that because it
has those resolution capabilities ( depending on what brand of monitor you have ), but I think you would still need a HDMI connector.

I'm hoping someone with more knowledge can post here with more info. My monitor just broke yesterday and I'm doing this through my T.V.

Joe Busch June 28th, 2007 01:19 AM

Computer monitors have been "high definition" for a long time...

Any 17-19" LCD will do 1280 x 1024 (which will fit 1280 x 720 with letterbox 1:1 pixel scale)

Most bigger CRT's go up to 1600 x 1200... some 21" go 2048 x 1568 (I think that's the resolution, I'm guessing)

I have a widescreen 24" CRT that does 1920 x 1200 for now... Fits 1080i with letterbox :) (16:10 ratio, not 16:9)

If you got a spare LCD, it should work through DVI... snag an HDMI to DVI cable... I think that'd work..