Can my computer be a monitor? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old June 9th, 2007, 10:39 AM   #1
Major Player

Can my computer be a monitor?

For an onlocation shoot I'm not shooting in HD, using DV with the jvc gy-hd100u. I just need a monitor for the basics....

Is anyone using their laptop as a monitor? What program are you using on laptop to view while shooting?
Lisa
Lisa Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2007, 11:07 AM   #2
New Boot

DV Rack is what we use and I have no complaints. Cheers.
Craig Roblewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12th, 2007, 11:31 AM   #3
Major Player

What about using a conventional laptop as a HDV monitor, is it possible?
Thanks
Andris Krastins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2007, 12:30 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Roblewsky View Post
DV Rack is what we use and I have no complaints. Cheers.

I also use DVrack HD on my laptop..but I found it to be good when looking at the meters and for clipping purposes. In addition to have it monitor overall settings..but for critical focusing..it is not as good as my Nebtek because DV compression kills the resolution when feeding the output to the laptop using firewire.
Old June 19th, 2007, 12:32 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I might be missing something, but wouldn't the DV compression also be what you see on tape? And if so, wouldn't focusing at the same net "resolution" as the final product be adequate?

I can understand how the compression could make it harder to focus accurately than the raw analog image, but would think that you wouldn't see the difference in the final images.

I'm not in any way taking issue with what you've said, just trying to understand better.

Last edited by Jim Andrada; June 19th, 2007 at 12:33 PM. Reason: subscribe to reponses
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 12:33 AM   #6
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andris Krastins View Post
What about using a conventional laptop as a HDV monitor, is it possible?
Thanks

I wanted to get more info about the same thing. I think if you shoot in 720P an Lcd montor can handle that because it
has those resolution capabilities ( depending on what brand of monitor you have ), but I think you would still need a HDMI connector.

I'm hoping someone with more knowledge can post here with more info. My monitor just broke yesterday and I'm doing this through my T.V.
Robert Thomas Baumer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2007, 01:19 AM   #7
Major Player

Computer monitors have been "high definition" for a long time...

Any 17-19" LCD will do 1280 x 1024 (which will fit 1280 x 720 with letterbox 1:1 pixel scale)

Most bigger CRT's go up to 1600 x 1200... some 21" go 2048 x 1568 (I think that's the resolution, I'm guessing)

I have a widescreen 24" CRT that does 1920 x 1200 for now... Fits 1080i with letterbox :) (16:10 ratio, not 16:9)

If you got a spare LCD, it should work through DVI... snag an HDMI to DVI cable... I think that'd work..
Joe Busch is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software