Dell 2407 LCD as HD focus assist monitor? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old June 22nd, 2007, 11:55 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Dell 2407 LCD as HD focus assist monitor?

I may have my first HD shoot coming up soon and am thinking about taking my Dell 24" along to help with focusing.

Anyone here tried hooking an HD camera (like say the canon A1 or HV20) up HDMI->DVI to the dell 2407 using an adapter cable?

I know my dvd player with HDMI-out and 1080p uprezzing works fine with it but I wanted to try it with 720p and 1080i sources and preferably a camera.

Also, since the monitor will be plugged-in will I have to worry about electrical hum in my audio?

--Shayne

http://weykervideo.com
Shayne Weyker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2007, 08:09 AM   #2
Trustee

Shouldn't be any worries about electrical hum.
One issue you might strike is that although the DVI input on the 2407 is claimed to support HDCP for some obscure reason cameras such as the V1 don't seem to recognise it and therefore only output SD.

Component in will give you full res HD however the component input on the 2407 isn't a good as the digital inputs.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2007, 09:19 AM   #3
Regular Crew

The HD component looks nice on the dell and should work well for focus.
I have 3 of these and the default settings out of the box are very GREEN so
tweak them up before hand.
Also..... you need to set the monitor size to the 1:1 setting because it defaults to FIT and that will stretch the image to the native 1920 x 1200 size
< NOT what you want see. >
The 1:1 setting will give you a slight black border, be will size the image
ratio correctly.
Brian Jansen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software