Dual Monitor suggestions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old July 4th, 2007, 06:59 PM   #1
Major Player

Dual Monitor suggestions

Hello everybody...
I've ordered an HP wX9300 workstation, and the included video card is a Dual DVI out NVIDIA Quadro FX1400...

Question:
I've been mulling around, trying to figure out if it's better to dish out the cash for a 22-24" Widescreen monitor, dual 19" or dual 19" widescreens.

I'm not familiar with spanning, or dual monitor setups, but when working with Premiere Pro, I lose valuable real estate quickly....

To add to this mess, i'm currently monitoring my video output through a broadcast CRT via my ADS Pyro A/V Link hardware.
In near future, i'll be ramping up to HDV, and will hope to be able to use the existing setup, without having to submit to an expensive HDTV CRT...

Perhaps any suggestions for now??
Peter Manojlovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2007, 08:18 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I was going to recommend a matrox MXO for HD monitoring. But that's mac only, at least for now. As for 2 small vs 1 big monitor. I prefer one big monitor because I like having lots of unbroken space for timeline windows. That and not having windows maximize to monitor edge when I wanted it to go to desktop edge.

--Shayne
http://weykervideo.com
Shayne Weyker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2007, 04:13 AM   #3
Major Player

I prefer 2 smaller monitors (preferably identical) to one big one, you just get more space to work with (i am talking about 2x19" compared to one 24" or similar setup). I have PPro monitors and timeline on the left and clip/effects window & tools on the right monitor.

That said, I just upgraded the old 21" trinitron main monitor to Dell 24" HD monitor to be able to view clips in full HD resolution. Not while editing, but to go thru the tapes before capturing and to view final output. The "tools & clips" monitor is a 17" LCD.

Money no object I would get two 24" HDs..., actually they are not all that expencive anymore.
Petri Kaipiainen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2007, 07:45 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks for the suggestions...

Since i'm about 18" from the monitor face, i might opt for the twin 19" widescreens.....Any bigger, and i'll need "pop-bottle" glasses....

Thx...
Peter Manojlovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2007, 09:38 AM   #5
New Boot

I actually have 2 - 22" Widescreens. I love have all the extra space, but it does take that much more room. They are only Acers (not my favourite, but they work out well and were cheap - C$270 each from Costco). I have also been toying with returning these and purcahsing a 32" TV with DVI input.
Heath Taylor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software