Can someone give me a push? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software

The View: Video Display Hardware and Software
Video Monitors and Media Players for field or studio use (all display technologies).

Old July 12th, 2007, 12:01 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Can someone give me a push?

I'm fairly new to videography and I'm in need of some editing hardware advice and simple explainations. I'll be doing mainly weddings (first one coming up this weekend) and I need to know what kind of equipment I'll be needing for editing? I have Adobe Premire but I'm not sure how it all works when it comes to equipment to edit.

For example: I'll need a 2nd monitor to work with right? I see alot of people have mixer boards, what are those for and what are good brands to start out with? Is there a faster way to upload the footage onto the computer (I have two miniDV sony VX2100s) And to upload all that footage will take a long time.

I looked around for some advice but couldn't get what i'm looking for... I'm sure if somebody explains it simply everything else will come together!

Thanks in advance.
David
David Kovalev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2007, 12:31 AM   #2
Inner Circle

1- While a second monitor is convenient, you don't need it.

It is very useful to have an external monitor to view your footage on. What you see on your computer screen is not necessarily what you get due to overscan, interlace flicker, Premiere not showing everything correctly, etc. So check your work on a TV... you can hook your TV up to your camera up to your editing system and do an external preview.

Better yet get a broadcast monitor since it doesn't screw around with the image. But for now you can do without. Just check your work on a TV when you're done.

2- Mixer boards: You don't need one. For routing signals (and for recording VO), some people like using an audio mixer. For audio mixing, some people like to use control surfaces. But you don't need them.

3- Uploading footage: Capturing a miniDV tape is reasonable (go away and do something else during capturing; or make notes). There are slightly faster methods like shooting on a Firestore unit (or similar) or DVRack.
Glenn Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2007, 02:57 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks

Thank your for the quick reply. So I dont need any of that stuff huh? Well I guess as time goes by I'll get into it but I like the idea of having a monitor to see exactly how it will look... I'll look into that.

If anyone else has any tips or advice... please let me know.

Thanks.
David Kovalev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2007, 03:01 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I'm using premiere pro/encore which is all I need for my basic editing and putting it on a dvd. I also have a 2screen setup because that gives me much more room to spread all the windows in premiere and I can have a much bigger preview of the image I'm working on. One screen is a plain old crt and the other one a lcdtv with possibility to connect to my pc, that screen also gives me the most reliable image to check the exposure and colour. It's not a broadcast monitor but for my purpose its good enough.

Any basic pc with dualcore will do fine if you are working with dv, beside that there not much more you need if you want real basics, most important part was what glenn allready pointed out is that you use a tv to view your work on because it will differ from what you see on you pc monitor. My crt f.i. gives the impression everything is underexposed while on a tv it looks allright.
Noa Put is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > The Tools of DV and HD Production > The View: Video Display Hardware and Software