Most recent trailer at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery

Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
For video clip sharing and feedback -- VIMEO links will automatically embed a player.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old November 25th, 2008, 01:15 AM   #1
Most recent trailer
Glen Elliott Glen Elliott is offline November 25th, 2008, 01:15 AM

Just finished cutting a trailer for a couple who had a beautiful event at a gorgeous venue in Central Jersey. I have to say- I think it's the first time I've seen a sunset over the water (darn you left-coasters!). lol Anyway it was shot with XH-A1s, and cut in Final Cut, enjoy...

http://www.gmelliottvideo.com/alifranktrailer.mov
__________________
Glen Elliott
Cord 3 Films

Glen Elliott
Wrangler
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,898
Views: 2063
Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2008, 01:34 AM   #2
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 2,933
Good stuff, Glen. On the opening shot I couldn't help but notice you weren't locked down on a tripod. For those establishing "still" shots I think that's just about a requirement. I know how it is shooting run'n'gun, though. I'm just trying to make a rule for myself now not to cheat and try and shoot off the tripod when I should be on the tripod, ya know?

Anyways, the rest was great. I don't know if this couple was all about family, but you did an excellent job of capturing the faces and emotions of the people who were there. I thought you did especially well at capturing the boy, who I'm sure is pretty important to them.

You labeled this video a trailer, but it plays more like a highlights video to me. I expect a trailer to be fairly short (30-90 seconds) and really skip through the day quickly. Not a big deal .. just the length and format surprised me.

You mentioned A1's and FCP, so I have two questions.

First, are you using a preset with the A1's or shooting flat and grading in post?

Second, are you doing your titling within FCP or something else? I tried LiveType and it feels like more of a hassle than it's worth, especially when Motion actual has more variables/effects for type.
__________________
Black Label Films
www.blacklabelweddingfilms.com
Travis Cossel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2008, 01:49 AM   #3
Wrangler
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel View Post
You labeled this video a trailer, but it plays more like a highlights video to me. I expect a trailer to be fairly short (30-90 seconds) and really skip through the day quickly. Not a big deal .. just the length and format surprised me.

You mentioned A1's and FCP, so I have two questions.

First, are you using a preset with the A1's or shooting flat and grading in post?

Second, are you doing your titling within FCP or something else? I tried LiveType and it feels like more of a hassle than it's worth, especially when Motion actual has more variables/effects for type.
Hey Travis, thanks for watching and commenting. I do indeed get carried away when I cut "trailers" and they end up being quite close to a highlight. A highlight is usually an entire song (3-4 minutes) and use a great deal more audio- vows, toasts/speeches, interviews (if applicable). I need to limit the trailer lengths to 90 seconds- that way it wont take a work-day to complete them. Very good point you brought up.

Regarding the A1's- I think I'm very different in my approach as I like to get the image as close as possible to ideal right out of the camera. The only filters I used in this were an occasional vignette, and light sky grad (MB looks) on the beach stuff. Usually the only filter I use is a vignette when I feel the shot can benefit from it. Otherwise the colors and exposure are AS-IS directly out of the camera.

My workflow is this way because, as you see, I don't apply heavy filtering or color grade my work. I don't feel the heavy graded look is conducive to my style- which I try to keep light (not overly "cinematic") with an emphasis on shot progression and story-telling.

Regarding titling I keep it simple in this regard as well. I use the built in "text" tool in FCP. All in all in the past 2 years I've moved into a very straight forward, stripped-down approach to my work. I don't work with slow-motion, dissolves, or heavy filtering. So really I could be editing on pretty much any NLE out there, I just so happen to prefer OSX over Vista/Windows.
__________________
Glen Elliott
Cord 3 Films
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2008, 07:12 AM   #4
Major Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: College Park, Maryland
Posts: 913
Hey Glen,
Fantastic job on the trailer. It did feel like more of a trailer as Travis pointed out but it was quite engaging. Love the transition you did to get to the reception with the sunset. Very goo cut of the bride feeding the cake. You hit that cut to the next angle seamlessly. Who helped you on this job? Was it Darrell or your other assistant? Thanks for sharing Glen. I always enjoy viewing your videos.

Monday
Monday Isa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2008, 12:18 PM   #5
Wrangler
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,898
Hey Monday- both Darrell and my fiance helped out on this job. Thanks for the kind words.
__________________
Glen Elliott
Cord 3 Films
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2008, 12:31 PM   #6
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 2,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Elliott View Post
Hey Travis, thanks for watching and commenting. I do indeed get carried away when I cut "trailers" and they end up being quite close to a highlight. A highlight is usually an entire song (3-4 minutes) and use a great deal more audio- vows, toasts/speeches, interviews (if applicable). I need to limit the trailer lengths to 90 seconds- that way it wont take a work-day to complete them. Very good point you brought up.

Regarding the A1's- I think I'm very different in my approach as I like to get the image as close as possible to ideal right out of the camera. The only filters I used in this were an occasional vignette, and light sky grad (MB looks) on the beach stuff. Usually the only filter I use is a vignette when I feel the shot can benefit from it. Otherwise the colors and exposure are AS-IS directly out of the camera.

My workflow is this way because, as you see, I don't apply heavy filtering or color grade my work. I don't feel the heavy graded look is conducive to my style- which I try to keep light (not overly "cinematic") with an emphasis on shot progression and story-telling.

Regarding titling I keep it simple in this regard as well. I use the built in "text" tool in FCP. All in all in the past 2 years I've moved into a very straight forward, stripped-down approach to my work. I don't work with slow-motion, dissolves, or heavy filtering. So really I could be editing on pretty much any NLE out there, I just so happen to prefer OSX over Vista/Windows.
Thanks for the info. I've been nervous about using presets because a specific preset might not work for a specific lighting situation, so I prefer to shoot flat and enhance the look later. Whatever you're doing is working great, though, so I wouldn't change it.

I've found that the text tool in FCP can sometimes not look good. For example, in my trailer I started out with FCP text and it looked fine. But once I added motion to the text via keyframes, the letters would bounce and flicker while they were moving. Bringing in text with movement from Motion solved that. Very odd that you can't get FCP text to move without issues in FCP. I don't use a lot of moving text, though, so usually the standard FCP text tool works fine.

I think you're other work looks great too by the way.
__________________
Black Label Films
www.blacklabelweddingfilms.com
Travis Cossel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2008, 01:27 PM   #7
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel View Post
Thanks for the info. I've been nervous about using presets because a specific preset might not work for a specific lighting situation, so I prefer to shoot flat and enhance the look later. Whatever you're doing is working great, though, so I wouldn't change it.

I've found that the text tool in FCP can sometimes not look good. For example, in my trailer I started out with FCP text and it looked fine. But once I added motion to the text via keyframes, the letters would bounce and flicker while they were moving. Bringing in text with movement from Motion solved that. Very odd that you can't get FCP text to move without issues in FCP. I don't use a lot of moving text, though, so usually the standard FCP text tool works fine.

I think you're other work looks great too by the way.
I know what you mean by this. I tried using FCP text but found my text to look better using motion. I normally take a preset and change it up for whatever I need and sometimes mix and match to get the look I want. I still have a hard time getting my work to look as great as you guys work.
Shaun Conner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2008, 02:25 PM   #8
Major Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 446
Hey Glen....I thought this was nicely done and looked really clean. Did you light the church at all...it looked really good. The golden hour really made the beachfront home pop.
__________________
John J. Moon
www.northernlightfilmworks.com - Event DV Top 25 Recipient
John Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2008, 04:46 PM   #9
Wrangler
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel View Post
Thanks for the info. I've been nervous about using presets because a specific preset might not work for a specific lighting situation, so I prefer to shoot flat and enhance the look later. Whatever you're doing is working great, though, so I wouldn't change it.

I've found that the text tool in FCP can sometimes not look good. For example, in my trailer I started out with FCP text and it looked fine. But once I added motion to the text via keyframes, the letters would bounce and flicker while they were moving. Bringing in text with movement from Motion solved that. Very odd that you can't get FCP text to move without issues in FCP. I don't use a lot of moving text, though, so usually the standard FCP text tool works fine.

I think you're other work looks great too by the way.
Travis when you animate text in FCP do not, and I repeat do NOT animate it by keyframing the text/font size. That will result in the appearance that you described. Rather animated it with the motion tab.

Thanks again for the kind words.
__________________
Glen Elliott
Cord 3 Films
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2008, 04:50 PM   #10
Wrangler
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Moon View Post
Hey Glen....I thought this was nicely done and looked really clean. Did you light the church at all...it looked really good. The golden hour really made the beachfront home pop.
Hey John, how are you? No I didn't light the church at all- the church was pretty dark actually. Those shots at the alter were 1/24th with 12db of gain. Luckily the gain noise produced by the A1s is luma as opposed to chroma which masks it quite well. Especially on a downconversion for the web.
__________________
Glen Elliott
Cord 3 Films
Glen Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2008, 04:53 PM   #11
Major Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen Elliott View Post
Hey John, how are you? No I didn't light the church at all- the church was pretty dark actually. Those shots at the alter were 1/24th with 12db of gain. Luckily the gain noise produced by the A1s is luma as opposed to chroma which masks it quite well. Especially on a downconversion for the web.
Wow..12db...I need to try that with my A1's. I would have expected a ton of noise. Way to push the camera.

We are doing well...hope to see you and the sidekick in Austin :)
__________________
John J. Moon
www.northernlightfilmworks.com - Event DV Top 25 Recipient
John Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2008, 01:05 AM   #12
Major Player
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: australia
Posts: 407
Hey glen,
whats the name of that song, pretty cool sound track
__________________
Rob.
www.rpbproductions.com
robert@rpbproductions.com

HD101/G5 Mac/4gig Ram/1TB HDD/30" Cinema Display/FCP.
Robert Bale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2008, 01:16 AM   #13
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 2,933
Glen, when you have plenty of light are you using a 0db gain setting or a -3db gain setting?
__________________
Black Label Films
www.blacklabelweddingfilms.com
Travis Cossel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2008, 04:19 AM   #14
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Amersfoort, Netherlands
Posts: 85
@Robert: It's "Vive la vida" by Coldplay.
The whole album (which has the same name) is fantastic.
Winfried Dobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2008, 07:17 AM   #15
Major Player
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 689
as usual, the reception lighting is perfect. loved it man.
Scott Hayes is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:48 AM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network