The All Brevis Wedding // What an experience - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
For video clip sharing and feedback -- VIMEO links will automatically embed a player.

Old December 18th, 2008, 12:20 PM  
The All Brevis Wedding // What an experience
Patrick Moreau Patrick Moreau is offline December 18th, 2008, 12:20 PM

We just got back from Mexico where we shot, what we believe to be, the first all brevis wedding. We had one rig on a steadicam and two hand held rigs. We brought along some top secret gear soon to be released and shot the ceremony with a couple 70-200s.

You can see a full write-up on our blog here as well as the highlights clip:

StillMotionBlog.com Dear 5D MK11: Start Your Engines // Training too?

We are considering flying Dennis from Cinevate down to Toronto and doing a round table discussion about the impetus for the shoot, the challenges we came across, how this will change our work moving forward, and how other can implement these techniques. We would then cut this in with some behind the scenes footage and make more of an educational piece out of it. I would love to know who would be interested in seeing something like this as it would be quite of time invested, but if we get enough interest we will certainly put it together.

Comments, questions, critique about the shoot are certainly welcome as well.

P.

Patrick Moreau
Still Motion
Views: 6006
Old December 19th, 2008, 11:05 AM   #31
Regular Crew

What is a brevis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelios Christofides View Post
What is an "all brevis wedding"? What is a brevis?

Stelios
Cinevate Inc | 72-1LE-FL-MP1 Brevis35 Imaging | 72-1LE-FL-MP1

The Brevis...
Casey Krugman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2008, 01:52 PM   #32
Regular Crew

Hi Pat,
How are you guys color correcting or grading your footage?, it looks really good.
Alain Mayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2008, 04:11 PM   #33
New Boot

Patrick,

Nice work as usual. Very cool.

I have shot two weddings with Red Ones just to see what I could do with it. It was very challenging but you can get some amazing results. Unfortunately I wasn't able to fly the camera, and the videos won't have that fluidity and style that your videos have. Weddings with 35mm depth of field do stand out from the rest.

Steve
Steve Sherrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2008, 01:09 PM   #34
Regular Crew

Hey Patrick,

Very nice work!

Just had sort of an off topic question....I am going to Mexico in a couple months, and was wondering if you had to do anything special as far as getting through customs with all that equipment?

Thanks in advance
Paul
Old December 23rd, 2008, 08:53 PM   #35
Still Motion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alain Mayo View Post
Hi Pat,
How are you guys color correcting or grading your footage?, it looks really good.
We do many different things to color grade the footage. Generally it is a three step process though, with the first being generally correcting, the second being the more advanced and artistic grading, and the third being the review process where the rest of the team checks things out and makes comments or tweaks on the look. We try to avoid canned looks like MB as much as possible to keep things original and to get the maximum amount of flexibility.

P.
Patrick Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2008, 08:55 PM   #36
Still Motion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Sherrick View Post
Patrick,

Nice work as usual. Very cool.

I have shot two weddings with Red Ones just to see what I could do with it. It was very challenging but you can get some amazing results. Unfortunately I wasn't able to fly the camera, and the videos won't have that fluidity and style that your videos have. Weddings with 35mm depth of field do stand out from the rest.

Steve
Thanks Steve,

I bet that the Red wedding was quite the challenge and exciting at the same time. I would love to try that out some time. Flying a red or this rig is certainly a challenge and we definitely missed some shots we would have gotten otherwise and one of my favorite shots is too soft to use, but in looking at the feel of the footage vs bare cam, it is hard to go back.

P.
Old December 23rd, 2008, 08:56 PM   #37
Still Motion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kendal View Post
Hey Patrick,

Very nice work!

Just had sort of an off topic question....I am going to Mexico in a couple months, and was wondering if you had to do anything special as far as getting through customs with all that equipment?

Thanks in advance
Paul
Paul- hope you get lucky. There are limitations on what you can bring in and your best bet is to stay under those. The biggest one is 2 cams per person. They also have a random red or green light system and if you get a red your bags will be fully searched. I would do some research into the local laws and decide how you want to handle it should you get a red light. In many countries like this it is legal to film a wedding if the couple is from the same country as you.

P.
Old December 23rd, 2008, 11:37 PM   #38
Inner Circle

I got "red-lighted" on our honeymooon, but I didn't have much besides clothes back then so it wasn't a big deal.

Patrick, did you learn your color grading mostly through trial and error or did you have an education source? If you had a source, you don't have to reveal it if you don't want to. I'm just curious.
Old December 24th, 2008, 02:17 AM   #39
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Moreau View Post
We try to avoid canned looks like MB as much as possible to keep things original and to get the maximum amount of flexibility.
Hi Patrick,

Love the look of this piece. Those shots on steady cam with shallow dof were great to watch.

What is MB?
Tim Harjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2008, 06:30 AM   #40
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Harjo View Post
What is MB?
MB = Magic Bullet Red Giant Software: Magic Bullet Suite 2008
Matthew Craggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2008, 08:55 AM   #41
Still Motion

Thanks Tim. We have some other shots that didn't fit into the story that are super shallow and shot with the steadicam.

Travis- we do have a source but he/she is currently locked in the basement of the studio until we are all fully trained, so I can't reveal their identity :)

It was mostly trail and error, but I started with a foundation of reading about color theory, talking to photographers, and having something I wanted to achieve. I've spent hours trying to get one shot to look the way I want and in the process I often discovered many other looks, more about the fundamentals behind the whole process, as well as how t get the look itself.

P.
Old December 24th, 2008, 09:07 AM   #42
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kendal View Post
Hey Patrick,

Very nice work!

Thanks in advance
Paul
Paul - we went to France this year with all our gear and didn't have a problem. We didn't fill out any special forms or paperwork or anything, just crammed it into a couple carry-on's tossed the tripods in my checked bag with my clothes and got on the plane. No worries.

Just check on the airline regulations pertaining to your lithium ion batts.

-Ethan Cooper
Ethan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2008, 11:23 AM   #43
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Moreau View Post
It was mostly trail and error, but I started with a foundation of reading about color theory, talking to photographers, and having something I wanted to achieve. I've spent hours trying to get one shot to look the way I want and in the process I often discovered many other looks, more about the fundamentals behind the whole process, as well as how t get the look itself.
Okay, thanks. By the way, I've got an extra room to lock up your source if you want to free up some space. d;-)
Old December 24th, 2008, 01:14 PM   #44
Major Player

Shot an all 35mm adapter wedding (full day with adapters) last June. Granted it was with only two cameras one with a brevis and one with a redrock. But, flying a rig... that's impressive!
RED One #6135 "Spartacus"
Andrew Waite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2008, 01:46 PM   #45
Major Player

I should probably elaborate so I don't sound like an ass. Sorry, Patrick.. wasn't trying to one-up you or anything. I started as a filmmaker and transitioned into weddings after... But, I have always been a filmmaker first, and I had just finished a feature length film that summer and decided... what the heck. We have now done a few entire weddings with Brevis only, but one thing we have yet to do is fly a Brevis setup. For one, it's too heavy for my Steadicam Pilot, but i know you use the Flyer. I haven't upgraded to the Flyer, I'm still waiting for a remote follow focus.... hopefully Dennis has one in the works. Even then, I don't know how practical it would be for a wedding... unless you had someone to walk along side you to pull focus for you. How did you get around this problem?

I'm VERY excited to see the Cinevate slider in action... I'm getting sick of how heavy my Indislider is. I can't wait to see what else Dennis is working on.
RED One #6135 "Spartacus"
Andrew Waite is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery