DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   Wedding Highlights... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/140516-wedding-highlights.html)

Alex Sprinkle December 30th, 2008 08:04 AM

Wedding Highlights...

This is a highlights video I made for a friends wedding. I know that most couples don't have this style, but I really feel it works perfect for this couple. Of course I made the romantic one as well, but I enjoyed this one a bit more. All criticism is appreciated ... as long as you're nice!

YouTube - Pugh Wedding - Faster Review

PS - I'm no good with compressing, so mind that not!

Stephen J. Williams December 30th, 2008 04:13 PM

A very fun video to watch... I know that it must have been even more fun to film :-)
I've never seen so much effort in catching the garner from the men. Usually it's the opposite.

Jason Robinson December 30th, 2008 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Sprinkle (Post 986024)
This is a highlights video I made for a friends wedding. I know that most couples don't have this style, but I really feel it works perfect for this couple. Of course I made the romantic one as well, but I enjoyed this one a bit more. All criticism is appreciated ... as long as you're nice!

looks like you rendered to a 320x240 file. Render to a widescreen sq

Jason Robinson December 30th, 2008 04:39 PM

Quote:

looks like you rendered to a 320x240 file. Render to a widescreen square pixel with full frame. Then let youtube do the compression and resizing.

Aaron J. Yates December 30th, 2008 05:44 PM

Well my little tag still says I'm a new boot, but I've done enough of these things to give a little constructive criticism while qualifying this by saying I'm far from perfect -- this is how we learn and get better, through criticism.

First of all I'll say that it was very entertaining. The pace was good and I liked the way you mixed in the speaking parts... very funny! Give him the game ball.

One or two of the shots toward the beginning seemed to linger on a fraction too long. One that pops out at me is when you pan the bridesmaids from right to left, the girl on the end stops smiling and has to fix her makeup or eyeshadow. If it were me, I would have trimmed the end and brought the speed down to 98% or so to leave that out (it sounded like you were editing to the beat, otherwise I would just say trim it).

The coloring may have been because of the compression, but at one point the bride looked a little too red. Some CC throughout may do some good to get the clips to have the same look.

Only other thing that stood out was the zooming in and out as the BG walked out through the sparklers to the limo. I learned early on that almost all zooming is bad. I used to think it was necessary, but now I know it almost never looks good.

Great job overall, and I'm sure the BG will love it! They were quite a spunky couple -- the kind you really enjoy shooting.

Alex Sprinkle December 30th, 2008 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron J. Yates (Post 986330)
Well my little tag still says I'm a new boot, but I've done enough of these things to give a little constructive criticism while qualifying this by saying I'm far from perfect -- this is how we learn and get better, through criticism.

First of all I'll say that it was very entertaining. The pace was good and I liked the way you mixed in the speaking parts... very funny! Give him the game ball.

One or two of the shots toward the beginning seemed to linger on a fraction too long. One that pops out at me is when you pan the bridesmaids from right to left, the girl on the end stops smiling and has to fix her makeup or eyeshadow. If it were me, I would have trimmed the end and brought the speed down to 98% or so to leave that out (it sounded like you were editing to the beat, otherwise I would just say trim it).

The coloring may have been because of the compression, but at one point the bride looked a little too red. Some CC throughout may do some good to get the clips to have the same look.

Only other thing that stood out was the zooming in and out as the BG walked out through the sparklers to the limo. I learned early on that almost all zooming is bad. I used to think it was necessary, but now I know it almost never looks good.

Great job overall, and I'm sure the BG will love it! They were quite a spunky couple -- the kind you really enjoy shooting.

Thanks! I really appreciate it all! I know what you mean about the CCing. I really need to do that to this video (I still have time, as I can't get ahold of them). The other videos I did.

So what would you suggest for walking out? Just stay a few feet in front and move with them, or stay at the end of the walkway and let them come to me?

Jason Robinson December 31st, 2008 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Sprinkle (Post 986359)
Thanks! I really appreciate it all! I know what you mean about the CCing. I really need to do that to this video (I still have time, as I can't get ahold of them). The other videos I did.

So what would you suggest for walking out? Just stay a few feet in front and move with them, or stay at the end of the walkway and let them come to me?

I "prep the crowd" for all my walkouts. that gives the crowd a chance to yell and whoop, and it gives me a chance to do an actual run through before the B&G are ready. I record, so that I can cut the footage in post in case the shot works well.

I have had pretty good success with my MultiRig running ahead of the B&G facing them (so quickly walking backwards). just be sure to remove the spring pod on the MultiRigPro because that fast of walking adds bumps if you use the rod.

Chris P. Jones December 31st, 2008 11:45 AM

Quote:

This is a highlights video I made for a friends wedding. I know that most couples don't have this style, but I really feel it works perfect for this couple.

I agree - LMAO at the opening quote. Very fun couple and wedding party. I bet you got a lot of great content from the people involved.

I echo the comments about the zooming. There is a way to do micro-zooms (a la NYPD Blue) to give it a verite feel, but it looked like you needed to just cut out the zooms, cutting from one well framed shot to the next.

Hope all your couples are just as fun!
jones