DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   Wedding Trailer (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/141034-wedding-trailer.html)

J.J. Kim January 6th, 2009 10:22 PM

Wedding Trailer

I uploaded this a while ago, but never asked for advice or critique here since my bride already saw it and loved it, but I want to post here anyway, since I would love to get some feedback from the professionals.
Laura+Francis 11.21.08 on Vimeo
Enjoy.

JJ

Travis Cossel January 6th, 2009 10:45 PM

Overall a nice job. Now for the nitty-gritty you asked for.

It felt really awkward to hear the bride reciting her vows and see a shot of her onscreen and she's not talking. Then you switch to the groom's vows and in the same shot he isn't talking either. That just felt really awkward to me. If they hadn't been on the alter in the church (like if you had used a photoshoot shot) it wouldn't have been as big a deal.

The other thing that struck me is you could really hear the audio for the vows fading in and out. You could either fix that with a longer fade or just overlap the audio a bit more to disguise it.

Those were the big things that stood out for me. I loved the sparkler shot .. it was magical.

J.J. Kim January 7th, 2009 12:57 AM

Thanks, Travis,
Here is my reply to your points:
The reason I didn't put talking part is because "when you hear her talking, you will see her talking..." I wanted rather something else since it's s trailer, something like the bride sweeping her tears and being all emotional, nice pan shot of altar, etc, so that's why I didn't put talking audio-talking video part.
For the audio fading in and out, I spent most time editing in vow audio. Since I mixed them up (groom full vow first, then bride's full vow), they were saying one sentence after another while the pastor was telling them what to say. If I faded a little longer, you would be able to hear the pastor... so that' why... I cleaned up the best I could do with what I have, but I do see your point.. it's not too smooth...
Thank you for the compliment on sparkle shot... it was truly lucky timing... fast thinking, I guess...

Travis Cossel January 7th, 2009 01:03 AM

I understand you intended for the bride to not be seen talking, but it still feels awkward to me. Just my opinion, though.

As for the vow audio, the problem for me was more that you could hear it break off abruptly. So what I was saying is (if you can't fade it more) to take where the bride's audio and the groom's audio meet, and just overlap them by like a second or a half-second. This would allow your fade to really help mask the cutoff I think. I cut a video once where I bounced back and forth quickly between the bride and groom speaking, and it really helped to overlap the audio a bit. Just a suggestion to try.

Good luck!

J.J. Kim January 7th, 2009 08:40 AM

Thanks, Travis.

I will try to extend the overlap of the audio more carefully when I get back to my office.

Thank you for your feedback!

JJ

Stephen J. Williams January 7th, 2009 09:29 AM

J.J.

I liked the vows over the video. I've done something like that in the past. For me it works... Somewhat of a narration to the video. I thought your trailer looked great.
My videos are no doubt to par like Travis's though. So if it were me, I would most likely take his opinion over mine.

J.J. Kim January 7th, 2009 10:00 AM

Stephen,
I appreciate your feedback.
"Narration" was the word that I was looking for, yes! Thank you.
I took Travis' advice and fixed the audio.
I should have paid more attention to audio at all time!
I picked up all the abruptly cut off part and fixed it...
Very glad that I posted the video here.
Currently re-uploading the video to vimeo right now, so it will be up again soon.
Thank you!

JJ