2nd Try: First Wedding Highlight Video + Promo at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery

Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
For video clip sharing and feedback -- VIMEO links will automatically embed a player.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old January 9th, 2009, 10:32 AM   #1
2nd Try: First Wedding Highlight Video + Promo
Jason Robinson Jason Robinson is offline January 9th, 2009, 10:32 AM

My previous post has been lost down the page, and besides, I now have everything up on Vimeo, so there isn't any long wait for a DL.

First up is my first ever wedding highlight edit, a music video form edit of an entire wedding day, but to the bride's favorite song. I cut this together the night before my first ever wedding show in a total of about 8 hours editing. Also first use of glidecam4k at a wedding with my GL2 on top, as opposed to being balanced for my Panny GS320.

Secondly is my first company promo cut together over a few weeks worth of work. Cut to a very different style to stand out, get attention, and highlight all the things a boring single cam wedding shoot is not. Used clips from lots of previous weddings, even a shot from my first ever wedding video (feel free to guess which one it is).

As usual, any and all comments welcome.

Jason Robinson
Trustee
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 1,997
Views: 722
Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 02:37 PM   #2
Trustee
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Vancouver Island, Canada
Posts: 1,200
Jason,

I know I should be spending more time working on my stuff than looking at other peoples work, but I think that there is real value in watching what other people are doing, and what works and what doesn't.

I really like the glides past the B & G solo and together. And the groom clowning with the groomsmen. One small thing is I think the shots may have been a little better if you'd locked off the exposure, and over-exposed the sky a little to pick up more detail in the foreground and mountains, but maybe that's just a combo of vimeo and my monitor.

The first shot of the flower girl getting her hair done is great, but the second one of her standing with the ceiling in behind is not doing much. The other is one of the two flower girls in the aisle shot on one their backing up, in the next they're going forward.

Your other highlight reel looks great. I like the PinP, but i think you don't need 30 seconds of it. The shot at 1:05 isn't that great because of the post. Then it's great shots from there on in.

I also would have liked to see a few more vfx in the reel. There's alot of stuff in V8 that 'your typical wedding videos' don't have access to.

I hope your recent investments pay off. Don't give up on it.
__________________
C100, 5DMk2, FCPX
Ken Diewert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 02:51 PM   #3
Trustee
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 1,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Diewert View Post
Jason,

I know I should be spending more time working on my stuff than looking at other peoples work, but I think that there is real value in watching what other people are doing, and what works and what doesn't.

I really like the glides past the B & G solo and together. And the groom clowning with the groomsmen. One small thing is I think the shots may have been a little better if you'd locked off the exposure, and over-exposed the sky a little to pick up more detail in the foreground and mountains, but maybe that's just a combo of vimeo and my monitor.

The first shot of the flower girl getting her hair done is great, but the second one of her standing with the ceiling in behind is not doing much. The other is one of the two flower girls in the aisle shot on one their backing up, in the next they're going forward.

Your other highlight reel looks great. I like the PinP, but i think you don't need 30 seconds of it. The shot at 1:05 isn't that great because of the post. Then it's great shots from there on in.

I also would have liked to see a few more vfx in the reel. There's alot of stuff in V8 that 'your typical wedding videos' don't have access to.

I hope your recent investments pay off. Don't give up on it.
For the outdoor shots, I was kicking myself for not over exposing a bit like you mentioned. The B&G are flat, but the colors in the background are nice.

The flower girls actually went down twice. First they went up, grabbed a roll of paper, then unrolled the paper from front to back, then they walked down the paper spreading flower petals. it was a bit confusing to me at the ceremony itself since the location wedding didn't permit us to attend the rehearsal. :-)

What sort of vfx could I do with out it being "here is something fancy in post!" I suppose a good color pass or desaturation to B&W then re-saturate shot is what I would do, if I were going to spice up a shot. Besides brides seem to always go gah-gah over a well done color pass / BW to Color fades (one of my photo movies has a great BW to color fade).

Good call on the flower girl with the ceiling in the BG. she also is a bit on the verge of throwing a fit, so I should ax that shot and get a better one.

For the shot at 1:05, do you mean the promo, or the highlight? The Promo at 1:05 has a shot looking down at the aisle as a bride walks down it. I did pump the colors a bit there. or may be it was the shot(s) before that with the groomsmen jumping or the fly-by of the groomsmen sitting. Both had a lot of chromic aberrations due to either the fish-eye on the first (and I pumped the blues a bit for the sky but possibly too much), or the fast movement on the second (I tried to de-interlace a bit in case that helped).

Thanks a bunch for the feedback. Now that I'm on Vimeo Plus, I'll be able to upload a bunch of times till I'm satisfied, and not loose my view stats. :-)
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 03:17 PM   #4
Trustee
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Vancouver Island, Canada
Posts: 1,200
Jason,

The 1:05 shot was on the Promo reel where the couple (i think it was father and bride) is walking forward and a post obscures creeps into the shot. No big deal.

The vfx I was thinking were subtle things like you mentioned, a nice color wash, or slight desat, somewhere, (though i found the colors in general to be a little flat, but I'm on my work monitor, which is bad).a little glow on some scenes or one I kind of like sometimes is a slow move to B&W or up from B&W to color, that kind of thing.
__________________
C100, 5DMk2, FCPX
Ken Diewert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 03:30 PM   #5
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 154
I like the use of the Fifth Element soundtrack...I've been saving it for something but, never knew for what. Now I know. Did you use the Glide for the sparkler gauntlet run? Seemed a bit shakey.
Overall, nice work.
Tom Sessions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 04:54 PM   #6
Trustee
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 1,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Sessions View Post
I like the use of the Fifth Element soundtrack...I've been saving it for something but, never knew for what. Now I know. Did you use the Glide for the sparkler gauntlet run? Seemed a bit shakey.
Overall, nice work.
No the sparkler run was MultiRig. I never seem to have enough warning when they want to do the grand exit to yank the cam off the multirig and put it on the glidecam4k. I also have all the audio perfectly adjusted through the beachtek for using the AT1820 UHF receiver and my AT897 shotgun on the cam.

I'm still a bit concerned about using on camera mics for those sort of shots where people are yelling and there could be peaking. I like the Beachtek's limiting to help avoid that problem.

But yes, I saw that footage and was thinking, dang.... that would have been way smoother with the glidecam4k.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 04:55 PM   #7
Trustee
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 1,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Diewert View Post
Jason,

The 1:05 shot was on the Promo reel where the couple (i think it was father and bride) is walking forward and a post obscures creeps into the shot. No big deal.

The vfx I was thinking were subtle things like you mentioned, a nice color wash, or slight desat, somewhere, (though i found the colors in general to be a little flat, but I'm on my work monitor, which is bad).a little glow on some scenes or one I kind of like sometimes is a slow move to B&W or up from B&W to color, that kind of thing.
Ahh... see I was tryign to be fancy and use the space between people standing to show the bride & father, and then the back of the guys shoulders as it came into view to do a timed linear wipe. I did it for both the bride's processional and the B&G's recessional.

So if it stood out as awkward, then that means I may need to work on that transition.

Edit Ok... now I got you. I was thinking of the wrong scene. Right, the outdoor wedding with the dark green post. I fought over at least three different takes for that one. Either the shots were a little wobbly (stupid XL1s lens sucked at the tall end of zoom), the post was the main feature, or she wasn't smiling. If there is one thing the shot has to have, it is a happy looking bride.

I agree. one of the weaker shots in the promo. I'll see about replacing it with a different wedding's processional.

Last edited by Jason Robinson; January 9th, 2009 at 04:59 PM. Reason: ok, last edit I swear
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 05:07 PM   #8
Trustee
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 1,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Diewert View Post
(though i found the colors in general to be a little flat, but I'm on my work monitor, which is bad)
I have overall been dissatisfied with Canon's colors. I've shot with an XL1, XL1s, and the GL2 and they all are just nothing like the Sony HDR-FX1 that I first shot with (granted the FX1 is an HD cam). I don't know, may be instead of A1 cams I'll be looking into something Sony makes.

I pumped the colors a fair amount on almost all the shots. Some of the ones with the groomsmen I forgot to pump (just checked my timeline) so I'll hit that clip and re-render over the weekend.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:02 PM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network