DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   NEW Save The Date Video & beware of black sand! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/142179-new-save-date-video-beware-black-sand.html)

SiuChung Leung January 23rd, 2009 04:50 AM

NEW Save The Date Video & beware of black sand!

Couple weeks ago we shot a STD at a famous surfing beach in West Auckland, New Zealand call Muriwai Beach. Muriwai Beach is special because of its black sand, caused by the iron content derived from the ancient volcanoes in the area. When we shot the STD, lots of black mineral sand was stick on our camera and other equipment(those sand attract to magnetic), which took us a very long time to clean it up. Also, when we try to write the Save the date message on those black sand, its hardly noticeable on camera (black on black). So they get something else to show the STD message.

Still, it was a very unique location and we had a lot of fun but we will try not to shot over there in the future.

Jonny and Krystel Save the Date Video on Vimeo

Any comments are welcome!

Niall Megahey January 23rd, 2009 08:17 AM

Really liked it, Nice shots, eidts. very fun! well done

Ken Diewert January 23rd, 2009 12:55 PM

SiuChung,

Nice shooting, too bad about the sand.

I'm was planning a spinning shot (bride or groom spins around the camera from 0:32 to 0:38), but I've never shot it. I tried picking up what was going on from the reflection in their sunglasses, but couldn't figure it out. I was thinking about finding one of those playground merry-go-rounds, and shooting it there. I noticed you've maintained the natural perspective (ie. shooting down to her and up to him).

Will you share your method?

Thanks,

Robert Bec January 23rd, 2009 02:14 PM

Very nice video

One question why do they call it save the date to my it looks like a pre-wedding shoot.

I just don't get it

SiuChung Leung January 23rd, 2009 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Diewert (Post 999746)
SiuChung,

Nice shooting, too bad about the sand.

I'm was planning a spinning shot (bride or groom spins around the camera from 0:32 to 0:38), but I've never shot it. I tried picking up what was going on from the reflection in their sunglasses, but couldn't figure it out. I was thinking about finding one of those playground merry-go-rounds, and shooting it there. I noticed you've maintained the natural perspective (ie. shooting down to her and up to him).

Will you share your method?

Thanks,

It was quite simple. First we do a long shot with the couple spinning around. After that we ask the groom to hold to camera slightly below his eye level and spin on his own, then do the same with the bride by holding camera above her eye level. That how we achieve the shot.

I think is was quite hard to get a nice sunglasses reflection because for the sunglasses's curve. With that curve, camera need to carefully set on the side of the couples while spinning and the result is still hardly noticeable. You may need to do a ECU on the sunglasses to achieve that shot. I think to do it on a merry-go-around is possible but you may need to do some test before you use it on a couple.

SiuChung Leung January 23rd, 2009 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Bec (Post 999789)
Very nice video

One question why do they call it save the date to my it looks like a pre-wedding shoot.

I just don't get it

The purpose of the video is invitation to their wedding with a save the date message in the end. That's why we call it save the day video.

Ken Diewert January 23rd, 2009 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SiuChung Leung (Post 999878)
It was quite simple. First we do a long shot with the couple spinning around. After that we ask the groom to hold to camera slightly below his eye level and spin on his own, then do the same with the bride by holding camera above her eye level. That how we achieve the shot.

Thanks SiuChung.

Dennis Murphy January 24th, 2009 01:18 PM

Nice work... it had a cool upbeat vibe that didn't come across as forced.

Denny Kyser January 29th, 2009 12:09 AM

Nice video, looks like you guys had fun creating it.

Travis Cossel January 29th, 2009 01:03 PM

Nice job. I like when people edit a piece that is the proper length. This was just the right length with just the right number of different shots. I like the creativity in the spinning shot and the date with the sticks. I wasn't a big fan of the pan up in the last shot. I felt like it would have been stronger to just fade out from the date on the sand, rather than pan back up to show the couple again. It's a minor thing, though. Great job.

SiuChung Leung January 29th, 2009 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Travis Cossel (Post 1003329)
Nice job. I like when people edit a piece that is the proper length. This was just the right length with just the right number of different shots. I like the creativity in the spinning shot and the date with the sticks. I wasn't a big fan of the pan up in the last shot. I felt like it would have been stronger to just fade out from the date on the sand, rather than pan back up to show the couple again. It's a minor thing, though. Great job.

Thank you for comment. I agree what you said about the ending. I think I will still keep the pan up, but I will increase the pan speed and at a bit a flash transaction.