DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   Highlights clip from Moscow suburbia (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/143293-highlights-clip-moscow-suburbia.html)

Oleg Kalyan February 7th, 2009 02:30 PM

Highlights clip from Moscow suburbia

O-K : photos : Roman&Olga Wedding Highlights- powered by SmugMug
Please let me know what you think, here I mixed up things a little which normally wouldn't do. In a sense the story told in bits and pieces. Also this time around I've used a stedicam for a few shots.

CHeers!

Oleg Kalyan February 8th, 2009 10:50 AM

Just to add a little... this wedding had an extensive show program, with performers from Brazil, Africa, who live in Moscow, it's an international city these days.

Please share your thoughts after watching, it's a new, unusual form for me to present material this way. Appreciate feedback!

Art Varga February 8th, 2009 01:09 PM

Oleg- I liked the randomness of the clips. I've been trying to do more of this myself. I think it works well in your piece. Beautiful imagery and music combo - and what a dress! I did notice some motion blur on some of your slo mo shots. I have this problem all time when I try to slow down too much in 24P. Staying above 65% seems to help. I edit in Vegas so I don't know how other NLEs handle. Spectacular wedding - did you supplement lighting for the indoor night scenes? They came out great.

Art

Oleg Kalyan February 9th, 2009 01:52 PM

Art, thank you! Motion blur, yes have to stay above 60% speed. I edit in FCP
Yes, indoor scenes were lit by a kinoflo 4bank!
Cheers!

Carl Wilky February 9th, 2009 03:30 PM

Oleg where do you get all these model look alike brides? and on top of it you get unbelievable venues AND las vegas style entertainment. Hope this one will make it to your demo reel.

I like the editing you did, i like the cuts to here and there feel and look you made. The only part i didn't really like is the voice over at church. It sounded like she was in the washroom or if you where hearing her inner thoughts. Probably out of you control due to the size of the room but i think i would simply remove it or use something that was said during the getting ready stages.

Thank you for sharing your work, always pleasant, specially this one. ;)

Oleg Kalyan February 9th, 2009 03:52 PM

Carl, appreciate watching it and sharing emotions, settings, cuts!
It happens that in Russia we have too many beautiful women :)
The voice that is made to echo a little is a usual ceremony speech
read by the official, before B&G put the rings on.
This speech is known to everyone in Russia, I wanted to make a different
impact on that, may sound a little strange for non russian speaker.
Thanks again for your feedback, will keep it for future..

Carl Wilky February 9th, 2009 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oleg Kalyan (Post 1009359)
Carl, It happens that in Russia we have too many beautiful women :)

(Carl is moving to Russia)

Oleg Kalyan February 10th, 2009 02:09 AM

(Carl is moving to Russia)

Welcome! :)

Randy Panado February 10th, 2009 01:34 PM

Wow, what a venue and wedding production!

Just some quick thoughts (all not necessarily related to feedback) :

1) That was the most revealing gown I've seen during the ceremony. I assume those prep shots in the beginning were her getting ready with her reception dress on?

2) Having a bear at your wedding is pretty freakin cool. I'd like to film a wedding with some wild life in it. Closest thing I've got is some dolphins in a pool by the reception.

3) The whip pan in the beginning that cuts to a scene of him kissing her cheek threw me out of the story and took me a few seconds to get drawn back in. It seems a bit unmotivated as it cuts abruptly follow by a static shot then an arm moving revealing them holding each other then to her looking away. I would say cut out the two shots (the cheek kiss and the flowers) between the whip pan and the shot of him holding her waist as the arm (or whatever is moving in the frame to reveal them) moves in the same direction as the whip pan and would be able to blend easier to make that sequence less jarring.

4) Your sequences flow together but some (not all) of the slow motion steadicam shots are a bit more blurry than I'd prefer. If that's the look you're going for, then ignore this one.

5) The tree shot after some of the car mirror shot was a bit jarring too me and I feel wasn't needed because that shot of them in the mirror is a great transition into the ceremony shot.

6) I like how you have plenty of shot consistency as far as where the bride and groom are in a shot and when you cut to another. I don't know if you consciously edited that way or it just came out like that but either way, it's great.

Cheers!

John Moon February 10th, 2009 03:32 PM

Oleg that was a very nice edit. Good mix of elements. Good whip pan.

Adam Haro February 10th, 2009 04:01 PM

I really liked it. That wedding looked awesome.

Oleg Kalyan February 11th, 2009 01:48 PM

John, Adam, thank a lot for sharing your impressions!

Randy, special thank you for your thorough feedback.
I looked into it.

1) That was the most revealing gown I've seen during the ceremony. I assume those prep shots in the beginning were her getting ready with her reception dress on?

Yes

2) Having a bear at your wedding is pretty freakin cool. I'd like to film a wedding with some wild life in it. Closest thing I've got is some dolphins in a pool by the reception.

Next time I come to the US to film dolphins, and you come to Moscow! Deal ? :)

3) The whip pan in the beginning that cuts to a scene of him kissing her cheek threw me out of the story and took me a few seconds to get drawn back in. It seems a bit unmotivated as it cuts abruptly follow by a static shot then an arm moving revealing them holding each other then to her looking away. I would say cut out the two shots (the cheek kiss and the flowers) between the whip pan and the shot of him holding her waist as the arm (or whatever is moving in the frame to reveal them) moves in the same direction as the whip pan and would be able to blend easier to make that sequence less jarring.

I thought of it and it's done for a style, not for real story telling, a little jar was meant!

4) Your sequences flow together but some (not all) of the slow motion steadicam shots are a bit more blurry than I'd prefer. If that's the look you're going for, then ignore this one.

I see what you mean, yes have to stay above 60 %

5) The tree shot after some of the car mirror shot was a bit jarring too me and I feel wasn't needed because that shot of them in the mirror is a great transition into the ceremony shot.

Great observation, you are right!

6) I like how you have plenty of shot consistency as far as where the bride and groom are in a shot and when you cut to another. I don't know if you consciously edited that way or it just came out like that but either way, it's great.

Thank you, it happened that way, for me most important was overall emotional flow of random editing.

Cheers!

Oleg Kalyan February 11th, 2009 01:55 PM

John, Adam, thank a lot for sharing your impressions!

Randy, special thank you for your thorough feedback.
I looked into it.

Yes

Next time I come to the US to film dolphins, and you come to Moscow! Deal ? :)

I thought of it and it's done for a style, not for real story telling, a little jar was meant!

I see what you mean, yes have to stay above 60 %

Great observation, you are right!

Thank you, it happened that way, for me most important was overall emotional flow of random editing.

Cheers!