DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   Wedding from Moscow (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/143794-wedding-moscow.html)

Andrew Melikov February 14th, 2009 05:54 PM

Wedding from Moscow

Hey all,
It’s an old shooting, but last-days editing, please, comment it!

Lianna & Konstantin - the highlights on Vimeo

Vito DeFilippo February 14th, 2009 07:35 PM

Andrew,

That was just beautifully done on every level. I'm really glad I saw it.

Thanks for posting.

Jason Robinson February 15th, 2009 04:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Melikov (Post 1012171)
Hey all,
It’s an old shooting, but last-days editing, please, comment it!

Lianna & Konstantin - the highlights on Vimeo

Like I said on Vimeo....

A fantastic highlight! I don't know that there was anything I would change. A good mix of close ups, DOF shots, wide, fish-eye, gliding / flying steadicams! Great emotions in the piece and a lot of beautiful people smiling!

Fantastic job!

Julius Tan February 15th, 2009 12:43 PM

Simply amazing and great camera works.

Konrad Czystowski February 15th, 2009 06:43 PM

I liked it very much, Andrew. It's really solid.
I like the sequencing and the pace of the piece. The car/meeting sequence was interesting too.
I don't know what camera you're using, but I can see that it has some nice range. I'm talking about holding the sky in particular. Is it EX1?
In saying that, I think you should watch how you process your shots. A lot of them are seriously blown out. I notice that you go for the high contrast look, but in doing so, you tend to go to far, which results in loosing the details, especially in the whites. The blacks are also too crushed here in there.
Your coloring is pretty solid. I think that at this level, small things like that will be the difference between great and amazing. I would strongly recommend paying close attention to what the scopes say.
The shot at 1:32 also takes away from the high production value. While I understand the justification of using auto exposure in certain situations, it looks cheap in situations like this.
A the reception there is person holding the light, who probably shouldn't be in the frame. Even stretching it in post would go a long way. For my liking, there may be just a bit to much of the camera movement (going form left to right dutch angles) in the dancing footage.
Just for curiosity, was there any purpose for b&w shots or was is random?

I hope you don't mind so much critique :)

The last shot was killer.
Kudos to the Russian talent!

Michael Y Wong February 16th, 2009 09:29 AM

Andrew

My quick comments:
- Incredible Colour Correction
- Good song choice ;) solid understanding of music structure
- Watch out for blown out whites @ 1:05; I see rolling shutter, so I'm assuming you're using an EX1, which will have enuf range to preserve the details in the whites.
- I'd crop out the lady closing the doors during the processional sequence, the piece feels like a music video but seeing the lady closing the door brings it back to reality.
- Nice vignetting in some spots, however the vignetting noticibly darkened faces in others.
- Great shooting skills + editing choices as well.
- The cinescope masking is really sweet too.

Konrad kept raving about your clip this morning, & I'm glad i didn't pass this up.

Simply awesome.

Michael

Andrew Melikov February 19th, 2009 04:26 PM

Guys, thanks for your comments!

Konrad & Michael, thanks for your critique, I really need it!!!
Cameras were EX1 & HV20.
White is not so great, I know, I’ll remember that for next :)
Dark vignetting I made specially coz I like it, it looks not so realistic.
What about b&w, (01.06) I’ve tried to make it like Amina makes ;) http://www.stillmotionblog.com/wp-co...oads/w0130.jpg meaningly “killed” the white.
1.32 is HV20, that’s why autoexposition, I couldn’t put EX1 on slim monopod, to make moving like this.
Person holding the light is assistant of photographer not from our studio :(( and shoot with HV20 with fisheye that lays on floor – and I shouted another things.
And what shot b&w you mean in particular? There are both- purpose ones and random ones.
And this song is really good, I know, thank you! ;)

Ethan Cooper February 19th, 2009 04:46 PM

I loved it, but was it a mafia wedding? Who can afford a Ferrari?

The only other minor, and I mean minor thing I had a problem with were the overly red skin tones, especially in the prep section near the beginning. I don't think it took anything away from the feel of the piece, but for me personally it stood out as something I'd change.

It's better than anything I've ever done.

Andrew Melikov February 19th, 2009 05:00 PM

Thanx! Naaw, it’s not mafia wedding :)))) He’s motorbiker and always dreamt to take Ferrari, it’s not so expensive for a couple of hours :)
Redskinned is real prob, but I like it :)

SiuChung Leung February 19th, 2009 06:18 PM

I think this is one of the 'Text book' Highlight. The music, color, edit, mix of color grading, mix of shots....etc are so good and so right. I personally learn a lot by watching your work!! Great job!

Andrew Melikov February 22nd, 2009 01:41 PM

Thank you!!!

John Estcourt February 22nd, 2009 02:31 PM

Mate, you,ve just raised the bar higher. That sets the standard, well done.
simply inspiring!

thank you so much for sharing that.
John

Andrew Melikov February 22nd, 2009 04:26 PM

John, thank you for good words, I will endeavour to make better, just learning now :)

Here is more new shooting, made in Jan 2009 Alexander & Marina - the highlights on Vimeo
Please, if there are some mistakes, comment’em!