DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   First 5DMII Experience (Uncut) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/144016-first-5dmii-experience-uncut.html)

Nicholas de Kock February 17th, 2009 05:49 PM

First 5DMII Experience (Uncut)

I posted this in the 5DII section however it's wedding related and thought I'd post it here too. This was my first experience with the 5DII:
First 5DMII Experience (Uncut) on Vimeo

Yang Wen February 17th, 2009 09:14 PM

Nice job for the first attempt. 5D2 is definitely challenging to shoot with.

The shots were too "locked-down" for my taste.. I prefer a bit more camera movements. One suggestion: use the 5D2 with the neck strap and by pulling the 5D2 away from your neck and tightening up the strap, it will offer you an extra bit of stabilization compared to hand holding.

Ken Diewert February 18th, 2009 01:05 AM

Jeez, this camera captures some beautiful images.

Nice job Nicolas - esp. for first time using the 5d2.

It's funny (not haha funny), I've got the XLH1 and HV20 and am desperately wanting some shallow dof, so have been looking at adapters for either camera, but the 5d2 (even with it's known issues) always looks so good. I already own a nice 70-200 2.8L, so it's hard to ignore the 5d2. A decent adapter is 1/2 the cost of the 5d2 but that low light performance is something else.

Jason Robinson February 18th, 2009 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicholas de Kock (Post 1013680)
I posted this in the 5DII section however it's wedding related and thought I'd post it here too. This was my first experience with the 5DII:
First 5DMII Experience (Uncut) on Vimeo

for my taste, the music was a bit percussive for the smooth visuals. Seems like it needed to have a bit more faster of cuts. The spin around shot at 1:12 has great colors in the sky! You just need to get a Glidecam or Merlin to float that camera smoothly!

Very interesting playing with the light at dark (1:20). I wouldn't use the full loop to the right and then back, but may be one direction. The impact of that scene is the nice silhouette effect, but if it stays too long, then you start watchign the path of the light and wondering if it is hand held or not..... etc.

What was the grip holding at 1:40? I couldn;t tell if that was a flash unit or a camera. I would be might concerned holding $3K that far out over water! (never mind, later scenes show that it is a slave flash unit)

I loved the shots at 3:13. That is what a TTD is all about! The other poster is right that the shots, hwile well framed, do seem to have a lot of static-ness (is that a word?)

Good job on dealign with the camera's auto issues. seems like it needs a lot of work in the firmware before it is ready to take video for any important on the fly shoots.

Yang Wen February 18th, 2009 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ken Diewert (Post 1013849)
Jeez, this camera captures some beautiful images.

Nice job Nicolas - esp. for first time using the 5d2.

It's funny (not haha funny), I've got the XLH1 and HV20 and am desperately wanting some shallow dof, so have been looking at adapters for either camera, but the 5d2 (even with it's known issues) always looks so good. I already own a nice 70-200 2.8L, so it's hard to ignore the 5d2. A decent adapter is 1/2 the cost of the 5d2 but that low light performance is something else.

Yep. I sold my Letus Mini which was previously connected to an HV30 as soon as the D90 was announce. No way I'm going to hang onto an adapter that costs the same as a video capable DSLR. You will get way less use out of an adapter than you would with the D90 or 5D2..

Nicholas de Kock February 19th, 2009 08:52 AM

Thanks for all the replies. Jason appreciate your feedback, Yang I recently sold my Letus Extreme for the same reason. I bought the Nikon D90 however sold it the very next day, the video on that camera is unusable. The 5DII is amazing though, HD + 35mm Adapter that fits in the palm of your hand! A dream come true. Now I can spend the money where it's needs to be spent - lenses.

Sean Seah February 19th, 2009 08:59 AM

Hi Nicholas, thks for sharing. How long did you take to convert the files to Cineform avi? I assume u kept it in 30p for editing in Vegas?

Nicholas de Kock February 20th, 2009 07:38 AM

Took about 5-6 hours for 10Gb of 5DMII footage, once converted it's 72Gb. I definitely feel that the CineForm conversion is worth the time/space though, it edits real-time and play silky smooth. I kept it at 30 frames however rendered out 25P in Vegas (PAL), maybe next time I'll convert to 25P via CineForm.