Documentary style Russian church ceremony , shot with 5D - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
For video clip sharing and feedback -- VIMEO links will automatically embed a player.

Old March 2nd, 2009, 12:28 AM  
Documentary style Russian church ceremony , shot with 5D
Oleg Kalyan Oleg Kalyan is offline March 2nd, 2009, 12:28 AM

???? ?????? - ????. - "???????? ? ??????", ????????&???????. ?????????????? ????? 7 ???.

Wanted to make is as a documentary film, sincere piece without any videography, "beautifuying" of the subject, scenery, content.

Shot with 5D entirely.
Please let me know what you think, do I need to put subtitles since there is some lines of dialogue

Another link
http://exposureroom.com/6e84dd01473a...400e7771cee25/

Last edited by Oleg Kalyan; March 2nd, 2009 at 01:38 AM..

Oleg Kalyan
Major Player
Views: 3211
Old March 5th, 2009, 02:05 PM   #16
Major Player

Thanks a lot for your feedback, colleagues and friends!
Really appreciate it!

Since the nature of the questions are more technically oriented, let me share my opinions on the camera.
Using 5Dmk2 seems to become more and more common in a wedding video work.
it as a great tool that allows a controled DOF and low light capability.

The camera is for sure for slow move, deliberate work, best for use with a tripod, probably not a great "dynamic" camera. Yes, some jello effect we all saw in many samples presented in this and other forums, again a very delicate handling needed, if the style of storytelling suits to a tripod work, it's an absolute winner, imo, (although I've had some good results with more or less dynamic camera moves, will post, hope in a few days one more wedding exerpt, shot entirely with the camera.

Interesting that on two professional Russian forums many pros saw the piece and no one told me, wrote, asked about any jello artifacts! So It may be no such a great deal?

No 1.2 wide open lens used here at all, hand held, and a few shots from a tripod.
I agree need to close down to 2.8 to make sure havind a safe focus, yet I hear some viewers like it that way, a little should I say "ambiguous" look?

Cheers everyone!
Oleg Kalyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2009, 03:15 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Kalyan View Post

Interesting that on two professional Russian forums many pros saw the piece and no one told me, wrote, asked about any jello artifacts! So It may be no such a great deal?
Oh for sure Oleg, its practically not even there. I just haven't raised the issue with anyone about it to date and wanted an opinion from someone I know has a flair for this job.
No its just while viewing under serious scrutiny that I can see elements of it. Chances are Im being overly critical of the camera. But really its simply because I really want one of these cameras but am trying to evalute whether I should wait on or dive in.

Again thanks for sharing, your work rocks.
Ger Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2009, 09:33 AM   #18
Major Player

Oleg
Outstanding. Everything. Can't say enough about. Btw what is the music you used for this piece?
Great Video
Thanks
Harry
Harry Lender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2009, 11:37 PM   #19
Major Player

Harry, thank you!
The soundtrack to the piece created from the works of Yoko Kanno, Xerxes, and some library sounds.
Oleg Kalyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2009, 12:09 PM   #20
Major Player

very stylish Oleg. I am very much taken with the understated approach.
Peter Ralph is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery