Documentary style Russian church ceremony , shot with 5D at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery

Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
For video clip sharing and feedback -- VIMEO links will automatically embed a player.

Old March 2nd, 2009, 12:28 AM   #1
Documentary style Russian church ceremony , shot with 5D
Oleg Kalyan Oleg Kalyan is offline March 2nd, 2009, 12:28 AM

???? ?????? - ????. - "???????? ? ??????", ????????&???????. ?????????????? ????? 7 ???.

Wanted to make is as a documentary film, sincere piece without any videography, "beautifuying" of the subject, scenery, content.

Shot with 5D entirely.
Please let me know what you think, do I need to put subtitles since there is some lines of dialogue

Another link
http://exposureroom.com/6e84dd01473a...400e7771cee25/

Last edited by Oleg Kalyan; March 2nd, 2009 at 01:38 AM..

Oleg Kalyan
Major Player
Views: 3180
Old March 2nd, 2009, 09:04 AM   #2
Major Player

Pretty darn effective! Looks amazing! Great style, who knows your video might even start off a documentary revolution in the wedding world.
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2009, 09:29 AM   #3
Major Player

It's amazing... I love the feel of the whole movie. I thought I was watching a short film or document rather then a wedding video. I love how you play with the focus - loosing it for a moment just to bring it back and refocus.

Since I don't speak in Russian - would you be able to tell us what they were saying to the camera?
Lukas Siewior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2009, 10:47 AM   #4
Major Player

Oleg - beautiful! So refreshing to see a well done documentary style piece. Didn't look like you used a tripod much. How did you stabilize the 5D - monopod? What lenses did you use?

Art
Art Varga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2009, 12:34 PM   #5
Major Player

Oleg...I didn't understand a darn thing but clearly this was an emotional piece. The great thing about docu style is that if you get the content the imagery is icing on the cake. I loved some of the rack focusing you did. Beautiful work.

Did you have any issues with editing / encoding, etc..?
Old March 2nd, 2009, 02:12 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Oleg this is beautiful! An amazing documentary format that really draws the viewer into their emotions and the atmosphere of that day.

Question: was that audio from the onboard mic of the 5D?
Old March 3rd, 2009, 03:02 AM   #7
Major Player

Thanks a lot everyone watching it, makes it feel good you liked it, even though its a bit dialogue heavy, and not understandable to many people around the world.
Good things I also get some good feedback from native Russian speaking people, I will put English subtitles, the words carry weight there. Some of them are very meaningful.

I had a directional mike on the camera, it worked OK, considering there is no audio levels control. Most of the film shot hand held 50mm f1.2 Nikkor lens on F2.
Some tripod shots with Canon 70-200 F2.8 is lens.

Will continue on with a documentary approach.
Videography approach also is great, but to me it's quite often music, score, camera and editing techniques dependent, the people, real emotions are left secondary. I would like to focus on real things more.

Cheers!
Oleg Kalyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2009, 11:02 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Oleg you did an excellent job here. Like you mentioned, a lot of people didn't understand the narration but the message was well understood regardless of the language barrier.

I really like the way that you heard the people talk and still had the background music which made it seem even more like a short film or documentary style footage.

Was this the final product for the clients or are you also handing them a longer edited version?

What about the technical aspect of it, did you convert the .mov file to something a bit more mailable or left it native?
Carl Wilky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2009, 11:10 AM   #9
Regular Crew

amazing

really excelent job!!! I love it.

did you do any color correction? or is that straight from the camara? it looks like it is a one camera shoot..am I right?
do you recomend this camera for wed shoots?
your work is very inspiring to me.

Thanks

Last edited by Osmany Tellez; March 3rd, 2009 at 12:11 PM.
Osmany Tellez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2009, 01:26 PM   #10
Major Player

Carl, Osmany thank you.

This is a final short film I give to the clients.
I converted all original footage to Prorez HQ 422, edited that way, did some minor color correction, then exported to the sequence with the same parameters,
from there on you can output it to DVD, internet, BLueray, etc.

Hope it helped!
Oleg Kalyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2009, 08:26 PM   #11
Major Player

That was utterly beautiful Oleg! Love the style and I especially love the mood.

Thanks for sharing.
Jason Magbanua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2009, 11:58 PM   #12
Major Player

Oleg, this is fantastic. Really beautiful, and captures the true emotion of the wedding day rather than some fantasy.

Did you use anything to keep the 5D shooting wide open - i.e. at 1.2?

Thanks for sharing this clip, very inspirational.

Cheers,

Matthew.
Old March 5th, 2009, 08:38 AM   #13
Major Player

Hey looks great..

One thing that bothered me though.. the use of shallow DOF was too much, especially in the vehicle shots were you can see two people talking/interacting but one was always extremely out of focus.. Stopping it down would have made the scene easier to process mentally

This is where manual aperture control is sooo important!
Yang Wen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2009, 09:03 AM   #14
Major Player

Oleg - how were you supporting the camera? if handheld with no support rig - did you lose a lot of footage due to image problems?
Peter Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2009, 01:12 PM   #15
Major Player

Oleg, absolutely top class piece and great work as usual.

I dont want to turn things negative but is it just me or is the 5d a little (too) jelloish when shooting handheld? I know the whole rolling shutter is the reason but to me its pretty obvious.
Particularly on some shots. The lamppost on the driving inside car scene etc.
It makes me feel a little woozy. I think something like a figrig or some other brace would help reduce it without losing the handheld look altogether.

Again Oleg though, I hope Im not taking from your work. Its top class, and plus we have trained eyes. I dont think the clients would even notice what I've been talking about.

EDIT: I realise this has been discussed at crazy lenghts all over these forums in the past while and doesn't neccessaily apply to just Olegs stuff with the 5d.
Its just the first time I personally have watched footage I enjoyed and yet felt the effects of it. Perhaps it is due the that exact amount of shake causing a subtle amount of the effect in question.
Ger Griffin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery