our first sameday edit - with Panasonic HMC154 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
For video clip sharing and feedback -- VIMEO links will automatically embed a player.

Old March 11th, 2009, 04:47 PM   #1
our first sameday edit - with Panasonic HMC154
Petrus du Toit Petrus du Toit is offline March 11th, 2009, 04:47 PM

On the 24 Jan 09 we shot and edited our first same day edit clip. It was an awesome emotional experience that following morning at breakfast when watching it with the couple, friends and their family...

. Blog Archive Brett & Sanet’s same day edit

Petrus du Toit
New Boot
Views: 1412
Old March 11th, 2009, 05:40 PM   #2
Regular Crew

What a good looking couple!!!! and a nice video!

but

Not sure you can call it a Same Day Edit when it was delivered the next morning.
Old March 11th, 2009, 05:51 PM   #3
New Boot

Technically you are right but ...

...why we call it a same day edit is because we delivered a highlights video of the couple's wedding within the same 24 hour period that the wedding took place :)
Petrus du Toit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2009, 10:02 PM   #4
Regular Crew

petrus,

interested to know what editing system you used.

jones
Chris P. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2009, 10:16 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Petrus- the playback from your website looked very "blocky", especially in the blacks. What I mean is that I am seeing block pattern. It shows usually on the groom's jacket and vest. Is that from the compression used to put it on the web or is that possibly in the original video as well?
Mike Petrucco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2009, 12:23 AM   #6
New Boot

Chris,

I used premiere cs4 (v4.01) , on a vista ultimate 64bit SP1, 2.6Mhz Core2Quad, 8gig 1333Mhz memory, Nvidia 9800 GT 512Mb graphics, 1.3 terabyte total HDD of which 1Tb 2x500gig HDD striped (raid 0 configuration) Mb Intel P45.

we edited the native AVCHD footage but it was difficult at most as every slomo/transition etc. had to be rendered to see what the result looked liked before we were happy.

The full edit of the couple is done on the same specs, but I have transcoded to P2 HD footage (DVCPRO HD) using the panasonic transcoder V2.1, (made by mainconcept). CS4 handles P2 footage as if it is normal DV footage (no pre rendering required!)

regards

Petrus
Old March 12th, 2009, 12:37 AM   #7
New Boot

Mike,

I have noticed the blocks as well, the HD footage was down converted to .mp4 and I must say I'm not totally satisfied with the encoding quality straight out of premiere CS4. Currently for down conversion we export as .avi and then re-export the avi in CS3 with the mainconcept (v3.3) encoder for best results (this clip did not get the new treatment)

For future HD edits I am looking to Neo Scene from Cineform, it is still in a testing phase but it looks promising!

regards

Petrus
Old March 12th, 2009, 09:18 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Nicely put together and i like the location you guys ended up in toward the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Barnett View Post
What a good looking couple!!!! and a nice video!

but

Not sure you can call it a Same Day Edit when it was delivered the next morning.
I would have to agree with Phil here, i do understand that you delivered the product within the 24hr/1 day period, but editing the content elsewhere than on location, you don't get the sense of that urgency of finish the product right then and there. To have the clips captured, edited, sinqed before the dinner is over. And technically the date of the wedding was different from the date of the showing. I would considert his more a highlight than a SDE.

Never the less, Pauli and Pierre must've had a pretty long night. Job well done guys, can't wait to see future films.
Carl Wilky is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery