Highlights for Andrew & Sabrina at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
For video clip sharing and feedback -- VIMEO links will automatically embed a player.

Old March 28th, 2009, 11:03 AM   #1
Highlights for Andrew & Sabrina
Travis Cossel Travis Cossel is offline March 28th, 2009, 11:03 AM

Here's a look at Andrew and Sabrina's wedding day. We filmed with Canon XHA1's and an HV30, and also used a Steadicam Merlin. Enjoy!

Highlights for Andrew & Sabrina on Vimeo

Travis Cossel
Inner Circle
Views: 2505
Old March 28th, 2009, 11:40 AM   #2
Major Player

Travis - nice work. I liked the time shifting, kept my interest because it was not so predictable. Toward the end of the piece, the pacing was starting to get a little slow for me and then you kicked in the fast cuts which I thought worked out great. What a beautiful backdrop from the dancefloor. I also loved how you captured the filtered sunlight. Overall - great job!

Art
Art Varga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 12:02 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Thanks, Art. I was so happy that their first dance coincided with sunset. Made for some great shots.
Old March 28th, 2009, 12:05 PM   #4
Major Player

Travis
Well made clip, great colors, first shot is awesome!
Keep good work coming..
Oleg Kalyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 12:44 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Wow! Very nicely done. Really like the way you timed cuts to music. Your artistry is amazing. Really brought out the emotion. Thanks for sharing.
Randy
Randy Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2009, 04:31 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Okay, seriously? More than 100 views and only 3 people have left a comment?
Old March 30th, 2009, 04:49 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel View Post
Okay, seriously? More than 100 views and only 3 people have left a comment?
Almost same story on my video that I posted

But I guess I am guilty of not leaving comments.

Great video and some awesome merlin shots

btw what weights do you use on your hv30. I always have hard time balancing my hv20 on my merlin. it flips sideways gently...like see saw
Old March 30th, 2009, 07:16 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Thank you, Jawad. Regarding the Merlin, I only shoot with my XHA1 on the Merlin. It's much more stable because of the extra weight. I used to shoot with GL2's, which are half the weight of the A1, and the Merlin was more difficult to control.

So now the whole setup has gone from 5 pounds to 10 pounds, which is better for control but much harder on me physically over the course of a day. d;-)
Old March 31st, 2009, 07:03 AM   #9
Major Player

Great stuff bro! Was this the wedding with the particular kiss shot we talked about? The quick cuts towards the end were great.
Randy Panado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2009, 12:19 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Indeed it was, Randy. Thus the reason I had to use the kiss shot from the balcony that was 100 yards from the alter. Thanks for watching and commenting.

R. Stewart, thanks to you also for the comments. Much appreciated!
Old March 31st, 2009, 01:40 PM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel View Post
Here's a look at Andrew and Sabrina's wedding day. We filmed with Canon XHA1's and an HV30, and also used a Steadicam Merlin. Enjoy!

Highlights for Andrew & Sabrina on Vimeo
Great shots. I was paying attention to the yellow color tone your choose (since I'm trying to figure out if / when I should try a post-based color grading) and it looked great.

I really liked the shot of the bridal party in a circle where you fly around them because you got some real fun footage of them goofing off. Lots of other money shots, especially the kiss at the end, and some of those dancing shots. Did the CotR church give you any more guff this time?

How did the cams behave in the low light? I am unfortunately stuck in SD for the remainder of this year (or longer) so I won't be moving up any time soon.... but I'm always curious about the HDV vs XDCAM debate to see which format "wins" for weddings.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2009, 02:07 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Jason, glad you liked the coloring. The bridal part shot was originally intended to be used in real-time with the actual audio, but then I got the idea to speed it up and it seemed to work better. Gotta love it when things just work right.

Regarding the CotR .. I really dislike filming there. It's a beautiful church, but the locations they allow you to film from are so limited. You almost need 5 or 6 cameras to do a really good job there. I shot another wedding there the next weekend and supposedly the bride got permission for me to be on the floor on my knees up front next to the aisle .. couldn't move at all obviously, so I was on my knees on that hard floor for 30 minutes straight. Anyways, afterwards they wanted to blacklist me again for being there. Apparently the bride didn't get permission from them afterall. From now on I just film from the other locations and save myself the trouble. d;-)

Oh, low-light on the A1's seems okay to me. The GL2's might have been a bit better, but it's hard to tell without a side-by-side test. One things for sure, there doesn't seem to be any good reason to upgrade to HD in our area. I poll every couple I meet with, and so far roughly 9 out of 10 don't even own an HDTV and aren't the slightest bit interested in HD. Of those few that are mildly interested, they aren't interested in paying extra for it.
Old March 31st, 2009, 03:55 PM   #13
Major Player

Great work travis. I am quickly becoming a fan of yours. A fine selection of shots. I notice some shallow DoF ones, did you use an adapter to get those???
Old March 31st, 2009, 04:11 PM   #14
Major Player

Hi Travis, I thought it was great. Some very nice moving shots and good mix of merlin shots. Only one minor observation at around 2:23...could be wrong will check! but a dissolve did not feel right!

Nice colour grading. I forgot to answer your question in your post earlier. I think it's magic bullet presets adding it's own diffusion! Will have to look into this further as I have found it sometimes blows the whites as well.

Cheers.
Old March 31st, 2009, 04:27 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny O'Neill View Post
Great work travis. I am quickly becoming a fan of yours. A fine selection of shots. I notice some shallow DoF ones, did you use an adapter to get those???
Thanks, Danny. Appreciate it. I don't use a DoF adapter yet. Just maximizing what my camera can do for now.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery