Not My Typical Highlights - Mark & Elizabeth - Page 2 at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery

Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
For video clip sharing and feedback -- VIMEO links will automatically embed a player.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old April 8th, 2009, 12:00 PM  
Not My Typical Highlights - Mark & Elizabeth
Travis Cossel Travis Cossel is offline April 8th, 2009, 12:00 PM

So this is a big departure from my typical cinematic style. I wanted to create a much more dynamic piece than usual, but keep an element of my cinematic style as well as strong emotional visuals. I think it turned out pretty good. In fact, I'm stoked at how it turned out. Here's the link:

Highlights for Mark & Elizabeth on Vimeo


Enjoy!!
__________________
Black Label Films
www.blacklabelweddingfilms.com

Travis Cossel
Inner Circle
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 2,933
Views: 2045
Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2009, 07:03 AM   #16
Trustee
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Nicosia, CYPRUS
Posts: 1,080
Travis
I really loved your video. I am always amazed as to how you synchronise the music to the video shots. How do you do this Travis? What editing program are you using? Is this done visually? I mean do you see the sound wave forms on your NLE and cut to that?

Stelios
__________________
My Blog: http://steliosc.blogspot.com
"I hope for nothing, I fear nothing, I am free" Nikos Kazantzakis
Stelios Christofides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2009, 12:55 PM   #17
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 2,933
Thanks, Stelios. For editing I just use Final Cut Pro. Syncing to the beat is a matter of just scrubbing methodically in the timeline and listening for the beats. Keep in mind that sound travels slower than light, so you don't want your cut to be right on the beat. A frame or two after the beat is more appropriate. Otherwise you'll see the cut a moment before you hear the beat, and it won't look right. In my editing the music drives the visuals, not the other way around.
__________________
Black Label Films
www.blacklabelweddingfilms.com
Travis Cossel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2009, 01:10 PM   #18
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Augusta, Ga.
Posts: 48
Nice work Travis. Most of what i would have commented has been covered. I will say as a newbie to the industry I am inspired by seeing what you and others do.
__________________
Phillip Barnett www.AtLastProductions.com
2 - Sony Z1U's 1- JVC GZ-HD7U and lots of other gear. . . .
Phillip Barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2009, 02:23 PM   #19
Trustee
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 1,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel View Post
Lighting .. I'm so bummed I didn't set any up for this reception. We tested the light before the major events kicked off (toasts, cake and dances), and it was pretty good for the most part. So I elected to go without the lights this time. Then when they kicked off the dances someone dropped the house lighting, so we were out of luck. I was still stoked to get a shot of the first dance from OUTSIDE the building. Never had that opportunity before. Still, in the future I don't care what the light looks like beforehand, we're setting up lights. d;-)
I've been teetering on the edge of getting the "Reception Light" but what do you use for lighting? Is it something from the photography side (because your photographer already has that equipment) or is it something specific for your video shoots (like a big softbox, etc)?

Regarding the highlight, I really liked the style. Your are killing me here!

j/k

I can see why you used the reverse forward effect as often as you did, because the music made use of that triple beat sequence all the time, and since your style means the music dictates much of what happens on screen, then that is a natural outcome.

But I will say that I also thought there were a few too many of the reverse effects. BUT.... that doesn't mean the bride won't like it! The snooty highbrow videographers may want more variety, but that doesn't mean a bride will. I had one bride who wanted the B&W effect all over the place and i was thinking "but I'm shooting in color, why throw that information away!" Instead I compromised and used a color pass on a few shots. She loved those and as far as I can tell, completely forgot about the request for lots of B&W shots.

But back to your video. I could see how you made use of the low light dancing scenes with the color effects. I have done the same thing on a client's video many years ago .... and as much as I thought it didn't look good, the client's loved it. So who am I to second guess my instincts. Some times what you choose to do in the edit suite is just the perfect thing for the clients!

And that is why you make your living doing this, and the dozen other "guys with a cam" in the valley are part time weekend video guys.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2009, 02:26 PM   #20
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Fresno, CA
Posts: 171
Very nice. I thought it was fun, upbeat and edited very well to the music.
At :08 what is the effect causing the glow around the card? Also the transition at :17, how did you get the nice white flash, looks to good to be a plain additive dissolve.
Adam Haro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2009, 02:45 PM   #21
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 2,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip Barnett View Post
Nice work Travis. Most of what i would have commented has been covered. I will say as a newbie to the industry I am inspired by seeing what you and others do.
Thanks for the kind words, Phillip. I'm honored to be an inspiration to you.
__________________
Black Label Films
www.blacklabelweddingfilms.com
Travis Cossel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2009, 02:52 PM   #22
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 2,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Robinson View Post
I've been teetering on the edge of getting the "Reception Light" but what do you use for lighting? Is it something from the photography side (because your photographer already has that equipment) or is it something specific for your video shoots (like a big softbox, etc)?

Regarding the highlight, I really liked the style. Your are killing me here!

j/k

I can see why you used the reverse forward effect as often as you did, because the music made use of that triple beat sequence all the time, and since your style means the music dictates much of what happens on screen, then that is a natural outcome.

But I will say that I also thought there were a few too many of the reverse effects. BUT.... that doesn't mean the bride won't like it! The snooty highbrow videographers may want more variety, but that doesn't mean a bride will. I had one bride who wanted the B&W effect all over the place and i was thinking "but I'm shooting in color, why throw that information away!" Instead I compromised and used a color pass on a few shots. She loved those and as far as I can tell, completely forgot about the request for lots of B&W shots.

But back to your video. I could see how you made use of the low light dancing scenes with the color effects. I have done the same thing on a client's video many years ago .... and as much as I thought it didn't look good, the client's loved it. So who am I to second guess my instincts. Some times what you choose to do in the edit suite is just the perfect thing for the clients!

And that is why you make your living doing this, and the dozen other "guys with a cam" in the valley are part time weekend video guys.
Jason, I use a standard 300-600 watt light on a stand. I don't use a softbox because it cuts the light so much and seems to make the light more obvious if that makes sense. I've never had a photog setup that helped me since they just use flashes.

Thanks for the comments on the video. I find it very interesting that the reverse-forward is the effect that people seem to feel was used too often. I though for sure it would have been the 'bump' effect. This edit sure has been a learning experience.

I totally agree that everyone needs to take the comments they receive here with a grain of salt. Fortunately and unfortunately all of us here watch videos here with a completely different mindset than a customer would. Sometimes we include a shot that isn't the best shot for example, but it reveals something that was very important to the client, so at the end of the day it actually WAS the best shot to use. Still, I think it's REALLY important to get feedback from professionals simply because they WILL watch things with a more critical and understanding eye. How you use the feedback is a bit of a balancing act.

Anyways, thanks for watching and thanks for the comments. Hope you're doing well. Things are REALLY slow this year .. scary slow.
__________________
Black Label Films
www.blacklabelweddingfilms.com
Travis Cossel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2009, 03:16 PM   #23
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 2,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Haro View Post
Very nice. I thought it was fun, upbeat and edited very well to the music.
At :08 what is the effect causing the glow around the card? Also the transition at :17, how did you get the nice white flash, looks to good to be a plain additive dissolve.
That's a basic 'light rays' filter. I backed it down quite a bit for a more subtle look. The other transition is a combination of things. First, I have the clip exposure ramp up quickly, and then I have it also quickly cross-dissolve into a pure white clip and then it transitions out with a lens flare filter.

Thanks for watching!
__________________
Black Label Films
www.blacklabelweddingfilms.com
Travis Cossel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2009, 04:03 PM   #24
Major Player
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bedfordshire, UK
Posts: 863
Quote:
Still, I think it's REALLY important to get feedback from professionals simply because they WILL watch things with a more critical and understanding eye
Very true, which makes professionals the worst clients to have. I hate doing shoots for the video pros but when they come back saying they love it, well it just has all that more meaning.

Loved it Travis, not your average wedding vid which is what you need to help avoid becoming a wedding factory.
Danny O'Neill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2009, 10:40 PM   #25
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 2,933
Thanks, Danny. One of the reasons I pursued this edit was to just do something out of my comfort zone. That's how you grow ultimately.
__________________
Black Label Films
www.blacklabelweddingfilms.com
Travis Cossel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2009, 06:31 AM   #26
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iloilo City, Philippines
Posts: 104
Great work! It's nice to move away from the usual stuff we do, it evolves you to become better
Raphael Jamil Pranga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2009, 04:43 PM   #27
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 2,933
I completely agree, Raphael. Glad you enjoyed it.
__________________
Black Label Films
www.blacklabelweddingfilms.com
Travis Cossel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2009, 10:29 AM   #28
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Hooper, UT
Posts: 177
WOW! I really, really enjoyed this style. Stunning quality/color/shot composition. Video keeping beat with the music is superb, kept me glued to the screen. This is one great highlight vid. I'm amazed at what you have created. Thanks for sharing. Headed out to shoot a wedding/reception in an hour and this really inspires me.
Thanks,
Randy
P.S. Not far from you in Hooper Utah
Randy Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2009, 01:46 PM   #29
Trustee
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 1,997
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel View Post
I though for sure it would have been the 'bump' effect.
I think the bump is more subtle so the frequency of use is not as evident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel View Post
Anyways, thanks for watching and thanks for the comments. Hope you're doing well. Things are REALLY slow this year .. scary slow.
Yeah I hear you. It feels like this is October, not April which should be about the busiest for bookings.

I've got only 2 bookings AND my grand prize winner from the wedding show give away didn't book! That was $350 off of a wedding and she still didn't take it!
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2009, 02:48 PM   #30
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 2,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Stewart View Post
WOW! I really, really enjoyed this style. Stunning quality/color/shot composition. Video keeping beat with the music is superb, kept me glued to the screen. This is one great highlight vid. I'm amazed at what you have created. Thanks for sharing. Headed out to shoot a wedding/reception in an hour and this really inspires me.
Thanks,
Randy
P.S. Not far from you in Hooper Utah
Hey, Randy, glad you were inspired! I hope you have an amazing wedding shoot today!!
__________________
Black Label Films
www.blacklabelweddingfilms.com
Travis Cossel is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:16 AM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network