Not My Typical Highlights - Mark & Elizabeth at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery

Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
For video clip sharing and feedback -- VIMEO links will automatically embed a player.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old April 8th, 2009, 12:00 PM   #1
Not My Typical Highlights - Mark & Elizabeth
Travis Cossel Travis Cossel is offline April 8th, 2009, 12:00 PM

So this is a big departure from my typical cinematic style. I wanted to create a much more dynamic piece than usual, but keep an element of my cinematic style as well as strong emotional visuals. I think it turned out pretty good. In fact, I'm stoked at how it turned out. Here's the link:

Highlights for Mark & Elizabeth on Vimeo


Enjoy!!
__________________
Black Label Films
www.blacklabelweddingfilms.com

Travis Cossel
Inner Circle
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 2,933
Views: 2046
Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2009, 01:15 PM   #2
Major Player
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: London
Posts: 313
Hi Travis,

I like more dynamic pieces, and therefore I liked this. Some solid, and great footage,nice tight editing and cutting to the beat. There is a good mix of cinematic and dynamic. I do think you do this extremely well.

Only one thing that jarred for me slightly was the overuse of the reverse forward shot. It lost its impact after a while. I think if it was used a couple of times it would have more effect, and maybe the slide down transition could be done differently with the church shot.

I thought this was otherwise an excellent and very creative piece.

Cheers,

John De Rienzo
__________________
De Rienzo Films
www.derienzo-films.co.uk
John De Rienzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2009, 01:15 PM   #3
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NYC Area.
Posts: 550
A few things.

First: WOW!

Second: There was some pretty impressive Steadicam footage in there for it being shot with a merlin, I would have guess pilot or flyer. But maybe thats just because I use the pilot and I find it difficult to operate a merlin because of its small form factor.

Third: How did the client react to the new style of yours. I personally love it, but not sure what they would think since its so different then what you usually post up here. Also what are you planning on doing as the longer version, or are you only sticking with that style for the short form.

Fourth: I noticed the reception footage was a little dark at times. What are you using in terms of light if you are using light. Although at one point your subject was standing right below one of the high hats, the lighting on his face looked great.

Fifth: Again, I loved it.
Louis Maddalena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2009, 01:36 PM   #4
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 2,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by John De Rienzo View Post
Hi Travis,

I like more dynamic pieces, and therefore I liked this. Some solid, and great footage,nice tight editing and cutting to the beat. There is a good mix of cinematic and dynamic. I do think you do this extremely well.

Only one thing that jarred for me slightly was the overuse of the reverse forward shot. It lost its impact after a while. I think if it was used a couple of times it would have more effect, and maybe the slide down transition could be done differently with the church shot.

I thought this was otherwise an excellent and very creative piece.

Cheers,

John De Rienzo
Thanks for the feedback, John. I have to agree with the church slides. I'm actually tweaking a number of things in the video right now so I'll be taking a look at how to do that differently maybe. I think the problem is the slides don't work so well with a pair of wider shots.

Regarding the reverse-forward shots, I hear you. I won't be changing those in this video, but I'll take the advice for future pieces. I was trying to limit the number of 'tricks' in the video and spread them out so that the piece felt consistent, but maybe those particular shots are just too much to have that often.

Thanks again for the comments!
__________________
Black Label Films
www.blacklabelweddingfilms.com
Travis Cossel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2009, 01:43 PM   #5
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 2,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Maddalena View Post
A few things.

First: WOW!

Second: There was some pretty impressive Steadicam footage in there for it being shot with a merlin, I would have guess pilot or flyer. But maybe thats just because I use the pilot and I find it difficult to operate a merlin because of its small form factor.

Third: How did the client react to the new style of yours. I personally love it, but not sure what they would think since its so different then what you usually post up here. Also what are you planning on doing as the longer version, or are you only sticking with that style for the short form.

Fourth: I noticed the reception footage was a little dark at times. What are you using in terms of light if you are using light. Although at one point your subject was standing right below one of the high hats, the lighting on his face looked great.

Fifth: Again, I loved it.
I have to say I film with the Merlin as if I had a Pilot. The Merlin is a major pain for sure due to the fact that it's smaller and has a much smaller contact area, plus I don't have the arm and vest. But I've worked really hard to try and overcome all of those challenges. Thanks for noticing!

The client hasn't actually seen this yet, and in fact I'm still tweaking parts of the video (enhancing some shots, replacing some shots, etc.). But I'm pretty sure they'll dig it. I create a short-form that is very cinematic, and I've been wanting to push the highlights a bit away from being cinematic so as to give more distinction between the two types of pieces. I probably won't go quite this far for every client, but I want my short-forms and my highlights to feel like distinct pieces.

Lighting .. I'm so bummed I didn't set any up for this reception. We tested the light before the major events kicked off (toasts, cake and dances), and it was pretty good for the most part. So I elected to go without the lights this time. Then when they kicked off the dances someone dropped the house lighting, so we were out of luck. I was still stoked to get a shot of the first dance from OUTSIDE the building. Never had that opportunity before. Still, in the future I don't care what the light looks like beforehand, we're setting up lights. d;-)

Thanks for watching and thanks for the comments. Glad you loved it!
__________________
Black Label Films
www.blacklabelweddingfilms.com
Travis Cossel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2009, 02:10 PM   #6
Major Player
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Surrey, UK
Posts: 680
Hey Travis

as ever, really liked your shots, colouring, and general quality

i really did feel like you were trying to force an effect/movement every few seconds though. I think personally I would have carried out the same cool effects but only for small snippets/sections at a time (i.e. perhaps during the choruses, or 'off-beats'). I hope that makes sense? the viewer would relax more and take it in better if there were parts that just played with no effect. 'Less is more' and all that.

really liked it though! the above is pretty minor, let's face it!
Richard Wakefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2009, 02:18 PM   #7
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 2,933
Awesome, thanks for the comments, Richard. Finding the right balance with this style is definitely difficult and time-consuming. I've probably spent 10 hours on this video now, and I'm STILL tweaking it, lol.

Anyways, thanks for watching!
__________________
Black Label Films
www.blacklabelweddingfilms.com
Travis Cossel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2009, 02:22 PM   #8
Major Player
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Surrey, UK
Posts: 680
well hey, i think I (and many others) took on board your very valid and recent point that not enough of us are reviewing clips.

i do like alot of your work so i thought it'd be better to pick up on something i could criticize, rather than just say 'i like it' all the time :)
Richard Wakefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2009, 02:38 PM   #9
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 2,933
That's cool. I will say that critiquing the work of others has a tendency of helping you improve your own. It's an odd thing, but it works.

I guess it helps to watch something with a critical eye when you aren't close to the footage to start with. When you watch your own work and the lighting is bad or there's a bump in the video, you can rationalize it and say "Hey, they turned the lights down on me or someone bumped into me." But when you see it in someone else's work it helps you to realize that your own excuses don't cut it.
__________________
Black Label Films
www.blacklabelweddingfilms.com
Travis Cossel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2009, 05:03 PM   #10
Major Player
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: London
Posts: 313
So true Travis. There was me just about to put another clip for review and you just made me change my mind! ha...

Cheers.
__________________
De Rienzo Films
www.derienzo-films.co.uk
John De Rienzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2009, 06:19 PM   #11
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Kingscliff, Australia
Posts: 196
Hi Travis,

Really liked the piece you've put together. The funky, upbeat style to it really works, as do the vibrant colours. I like also that you've included the rain shots, rather than pretending it was a perfect day & didn't happen :) - it cuts in nicely.

I'd echo what's been written already about the number of forward/reverse shots and the jump zooms (is that a term?) - maybe just a little overdone, but that's subjective I guess.

The other thing that sticks out for me would be the couples expectations on the style of finished product. i.e. what if they've booked you based on your previous samples/style and then receive something quite different?

The gliding stair shot at 0:48 looks familiar for some reason. Do you have this on your site?

Really well done on putting a great clip together. Very entertaining!

Cheers,

Matt.

P.S. I'm another that's heard your view about making an effort in reviewing others clips.
Matt Barwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2009, 09:18 PM   #12
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 2,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by John De Rienzo View Post
So true Travis. There was me just about to put another clip for review and you just made me change my mind! ha...

Cheers.
lol .. don't do that! Post it!
__________________
Black Label Films
www.blacklabelweddingfilms.com
Travis Cossel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2009, 09:23 PM   #13
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 2,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Barwick View Post
Hi Travis,

Really liked the piece you've put together. The funky, upbeat style to it really works, as do the vibrant colours. I like also that you've included the rain shots, rather than pretending it was a perfect day & didn't happen :) - it cuts in nicely.

I'd echo what's been written already about the number of forward/reverse shots and the jump zooms (is that a term?) - maybe just a little overdone, but that's subjective I guess.

The other thing that sticks out for me would be the couples expectations on the style of finished product. i.e. what if they've booked you based on your previous samples/style and then receive something quite different?

The gliding stair shot at 0:48 looks familiar for some reason. Do you have this on your site?

Really well done on putting a great clip together. Very entertaining!

Cheers,

Matt.

P.S. I'm another that's heard your view about making an effort in reviewing others clips.
Thanks, Matt. Glad you liked the rain shots and thanks for the feedback on the 'dynamics'. Regarding the couple's expectations I'm not too worried. Their short-form is very cinematic and probably the best one I've ever done, so they'll have that element there already. Worst case scenario they don't like the highlights and I'll have to edit another one more in my traditional style. Guess we'll see .. cross your fingers for me!

The stair shot and a few others are in the promo trailer I created for my website a few months ago. Good catch!

Oh, and glad to see you commenting and reviewing. It helps everyone here. Thanks!
__________________
Black Label Films
www.blacklabelweddingfilms.com
Travis Cossel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2009, 12:10 AM   #14
Major Player
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 231
Wow, Travis, this piece of work is very inspiring.

Watching your clip make me realize that I been edit my wedding video in certain style and kind of stop trying to find a new way. Your work is inspiring and refreshing since we've watch a similar wedding video style on the forum every day.

I like how you interact the picture with the beat and apply different color to the clip. It encourage me go try out something new to edit wedding highlight!

Thx
__________________
S.O.D.E Wedding Video(NZ): www.sode.co.nz
SiuChung Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2009, 12:16 AM   #15
Inner Circle
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 2,933
Awesome, Siuchung! I think it is important for us as film makers to find new ways to twist what we do .. if not for the client ... then for us as artists. Because if you get too set in your ways you won't grow, and if you don't grow you'll get bored, and if you get bored eventually the quality of your work will suffer .. and none of us want that.

Thanks for the comments!
__________________
Black Label Films
www.blacklabelweddingfilms.com
Travis Cossel is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:35 PM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network