DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   Gina & Daniel Highlights (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/195196-gina-daniel-highlights.html)

Darren Smith April 13th, 2009 11:33 PM

Gina & Daniel Highlights

Hi guys

It's been a long time since I've posted any work, and recently I had the opportunity to catch up with Matt Ebenezer from Shadowplay. We had a great chat and Matt managed to take a look at some of my work and made some valued and appreciated suggestions. Hopefully Matt you may see some improvement.

If any of you have the opportunity to get time with some of our respected leaders in the industry, grab it and don't let the opportunity pass you by, the time I spent with Matt has changed my perspective, and given so much clarity as to the direction I want to head. A huge thanks to you Matt, and I look forward to the next time we catch up.

While you guys have little to compare it to, would love to hear you feedback on this clip.

Wedding Videos on the Sunshine Coast

It is the first clip in the video gallery Gina & Daniel Wedding Day Highlights, 19th January 2009.

Cheers
Darren

Darren Smith April 14th, 2009 07:29 AM

website server upgrade - site down

my webhost is upgrading its server so my site will be down for a couple of hours - sorry
still if you get the chance, feedback is welcome!

I know it has been covered before, in order to receive feedback one should offer the same, I guess I fell into the trap thinking my opinions were not really worthy of publishing, I believe I have been dealing with those issues and hopefully my confidence in offering feedback will start to flow, so I get it if no-one has anything to offer.

Cheers
Darren

Noel Lising April 14th, 2009 08:59 AM

Thank you for sharing. Overall I like how you presented the Highlights. My only comment would be the ending, it would have been nice if it was just the Bride & Groom walking away.

Art Varga April 14th, 2009 12:07 PM

Darren - I really liked this. Your pacing, composition and song choice worked together nicely. Couple comments - I liked the interspersed audio but some of it was sub-par quality. There was a lot of background hissing during the bride's comments about a minute into the clip. I've had the same problem and used audio filter plugins to correct. I've heard Sound Soap is excellent though I've never used it. The opening speech from the groom was powerful - I would have used video from that as the very first shot in lieu of the slow mo dancing. Also agree with Noel that a closing shot of B&G would be better. Nice song - who does it?

Art

Darren Smith April 14th, 2009 02:14 PM

Thanks Noel

I agree about the ending shot, unfortunately I had asked the bridal party to hold off for a moment but perhaps they did not hear me, as I had planned this as a closing shot. I will have another look through the footage and see if there is anything that might be a better fit. That being said though, it does also offer a different perspective, in that the attendants are important to the B&G and perhaps they can be part of the closing clip. That is just my take on things, am I right or wrong, not ssure there is a correct answer to that as it is all subjective.

Cheers
Darren

Darren Smith April 14th, 2009 02:24 PM

Hi Art

Thanks for pointing out about the audio, it was a challenging day with audio, I couldn't get a line out at the church and my zoom H2 on the celebrant decided not to work, I had an iriver on the Groom and levels were probably a bit low, the church where the ceremony was a huge hall and so much reverb, by the way anyone have a workaround on that?
Admittedly I didn't do much PP with the audio from Gina so I will revisit that.
The opening shot, would have loved to use but had a camera knock when he started so couldn't really use it, but certainly take your point.
The song is called Arithmetic by Brooke Fraser, she is very talented!

Thanks again for the feedback
Cheers
Darren

Matt Barwick April 15th, 2009 06:58 PM

Hey Darren,

Thanks for sharing this clip - the Aussies are taking over - one clip at a time!

I really liked the way this was put together - the use of the speeches/vows etc. as a narrative worked very nicely and your choice of song selection with the overall feel of the edit was spot on.

That church looked more like an auditorium with all of the provided lighting upstairs. Must have been nice to shoot in!

Regarding the other comments on the noisy interviews, sound soap does a great job cleaning up stuff like this, where the background noise is constant. I just had a wedding where there were high powered fans used on & off during some of the speeches (in place of air con) and with SS you can fine tune the noise reduction to a point where the noise is only really noticeable if you're listening for it. I'm sure there's other equivalent noise reduction software out there too.

The only other thing that stuck out for me a little was the interview section of the groom after he'd finished shaving - not sure why it didn't really work for me, but pretty hard to leave it out for them I guess. I'm sure they must love it!

Cheers,

Matt.

Darren Smith April 15th, 2009 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Barwick (Post 1097599)
Hey Darren,

I really liked the way this was put together - the use of the speeches/vows etc. as a narrative worked very nicely and your choice of song selection with the overall feel of the edit was spot on.

Glad you liked it Matt, thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts, after speaking with Matt from Shadowplay I really wanted to make an effort to try and feel the music more while still trying to achieve a narrative/doco style.

The lighting was good on stage, but really bad with the bride leading up to the stage. I only wished I could have had access to their sound board as well as I was a bit disappointed with my audio. I will definately take a look at sound soap for sure.

Interesting you mention the clip about the shaving, I had virtually no groom footage getting ready and this was really all I could salvage for the clip, I was in two minds as to whether to include it or not, in the end I'm happy I went the way I did.

Thanks again & I'll be sure to keep an eye out for your work.

Aussie Aussie Aussie!!!!

Cheers
Darren