DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   Gina & Harry highlights - re-edited! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/202223-gina-harry-highlights-re-edited.html)

Matt Barwick April 15th, 2009 09:52 PM

Gina & Harry highlights - re-edited!

Hi all,

After feedback (both good + bad) on the last version of this weddings highlights, I took a number of things on board, and this is now a re-edited version, with a number of changes.

I don't think the original soundtrack was a good fit, so this one features something more suitable. I've worked on the audio levels also. I did have an issue as the only acoustic version of this track is this live one, so I had to tie in the crowd applause from the track with guest applause from the night. I think it works well and gives the ambient applause some added punch.

I've dropped all of the B&W as I don't think it added anything to the story.

I decided to keep a large portion of the slo-mo originally used as I don't feel like it's out of place at all and definitely more suited to the flutes used in this soundtrack.

I worked pretty hard on keeping colour temperature and levels consistent throughout and feel like it's pretty good now although may still be a little flat - would love some feedback on this aspect particularly.

This is a password protected video on Vimeo

The password is: barwick

Thanks for taking the time to have a look (and comment!)

Cheers,

Matt.

Darren Smith April 15th, 2009 11:11 PM

Hey Matt

Overall I liked it, it was good to see as my next edit is a jewish wedding, they can be a bit crazy, particularly the dancing.
The opening speech the groom mentions "he" can only assume he is his dearly departed father but this is unclear and for an opening audio it kind of left me wondering.

I thought a couple of shots still looked a little blue, some shots did look a bit flat as you mentioned, solution - practice I guess, I've only just started venturing down the colour grading path, I'm only concentrating on keeping natural colours at the moment but trying to push the saturation and levels a bit to make them pop a bit more. I think you achieved that generally.
Although the sky shot is a great shot, it just didn't seem to fit, likewise the shot of the tip of the white flag & tree, and maybe the pull focus of the bride @ 2:22. Just my thoughts.

The shot of the letter has relevance but artistically I thought it fell a bit short of the mark, but some really great shots in there - girl getting her lippy on, and the kids playing in the field, the dancing. I know exactly what you are trying to portray and I think you are very close to the mark.
It is exciting to experience personal growth with our work and if you are genuinly wanting to raise the profile of wedding videography down under you are on the right track. Look forward to seeing more of your work.

Cheers
Darren

Dean Morris April 16th, 2009 04:12 PM

Can't add much more than what Darren wrote. Perhaps my only thought would be that the audio could have been cut more and to leave some out. This is always a tough choice as I know that what is said in full can be significant to the couple, but/so the choice becomes whether to give what was said more impact by disecting and including the best bits.

Your shooting of the dancing is sensational with those high shots and so is the bride walking down the aisle with guests in the foreground - nice!

Cheers Dean

Matt Barwick April 17th, 2009 10:16 PM

Hey Darren & Dean,

Thanks for commenting and the feedback - very much appreciated!

Darren: Yep - Jewish weddings are CRAY-ZEE but heaps of fun. The day is always a bit of push 'n' shove also. Would love to see an online sample of your Jewish wedding when you're done.

The biggest challenge, I find is getting a reasonably good angle for the ceremony. I almost always end up doing it hand held which is a bit wearing (40 minutes or so straight with a fully loaded XH A1). Luckily with this one I had a 2nd shooter down the aisle.

In the opening dialogue, yes he was talking about his Dad. I actually kind of liked the fact that he wasn't mentioned directly but that's a personal thing. I probably could've cut another piece of audio in there to explain it better, but those that are involved will understand. The time-lapsed sky shot was supposed to be representative of his father not being around anymore (heavenly shot etc.), but I'm guessing if there's a need to explain that then it's missed the mark :) - thanks for letting me know.

re: the colour. I'm still working on that aspect. Rather than just fiddling around with settings etc. until things look 'right' I'm actually going to go back to the beginning and learning colour theory from the beginning properly and go from there. Will no doubt be a harder slog (is that only an Aussie saying?) but I'm sure it'll give a much stronger foundation in the long term.

Dean: That's great constructive feeback with the audio being long. Watching it now, I actually think the section where all the names are mentioned before talking about the grandkids could've/should've been cut and probably would've made a big difference.

Thanks again for commenting!

Matt.

Darren Smith April 18th, 2009 06:11 AM

Hey Matt

I've just been reviewing my footage of the ceremony and it is crazy, so many people in such a small area, very difficult to get clean shots of the B&G. And then when he goes to break the glass, who should jump in front of the my camera, #$%@&! photographer, missed it altogether, but the photographer does have a wonderful head, I just hope the B&G think so too!!!

Now I understand about the clouds, I am a bit simple sometimes, actually make that most of the time ;)

Let me know how you go with the colour, I'm interested in learning the nitty gritty myself, so any text or online help you can point my way would be appreciated.

Cheers
Darren

Jeff Harper April 18th, 2009 07:48 AM

Nice footage, but IMO their are several issues that would make me very dissatisfied if it were my work.

Sequence of events is poor and ineffective.

I believe their is way too much voiceover. Way too much. I particularly dislike the first voice over you begin with. It is too jarring, and it is not a "beginning point".

I would open with outdoor wide shots, not as is. You said something about black and white not contributing to the "story". As I see it there is no story as it is presented, your video is simply a random assortment of clips.

There is a way of presenting clips in what appears to be a ramdom and "artful" way and still convey a story, but that is not what has happened here.

For example you go from an indoor shot at the beginning to an outdoor of the clouds, and back to an indoor shot. The order of those clips in particular do not make sense artistically or logically.

You have misc uninteresting shots, but no shot of her coming down the aisle, unless I missed it. Absolutely a critical shot. If I missed it, sorry.

The cloud clip might be effective if slowed down to match the music tempo more and followed by other outdoor shots....as it is the clouds are moving too fast for the music and that whole thing just doesn't work.

I would open with clouds and move into outdoot shots. Group your shots together first. Then decide on the order those cluster go in.

There are so many issues. For example some shots slowed down too much, but the shot of her dancing (turning around in circles with bridesmaid or someone) is not slowed down and should be. The shot of them kissing at the altar begins too early soon and ends jarringly with a shot of the audience in mid-kiss.

Lastly, I dislike the song. Cut out 75% of the narration. It's like someone who has discovered the zoom on a camcorder and they cannot stop zooming. You have discovered the power of using voice overs and have gone bonkers with it.

Somone around here said recently if you can't tell what the story is without the audio, then there is no story. I beleive that is the case here.

Good luck, this is not an easy process. You are brave to put this stuff out here for criticism.

Matt Barwick April 19th, 2009 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darren Smith (Post 1098365)
but the photographer does have a wonderful head

Darren: I feel your pain. The obstructed breaking of the glass has happened in almost every Jewish wedding I've shot. I don't think there's really an easy way around it except to 'expect the unexpected' and prepare accordingly ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Harper (Post 1107773)
You are brave to put this stuff out here for criticism.

Jeff: Thanks for taking the time to have a look and provide your views. There are a few of your points that provide good, constructive feedback. I think the more people that take the time to have their work reviewed by peers with critical eyes the better. It pushes us to challenge ourselves and evolve. I, for one, would much rather have a fellow professional that's uninvolved critique a piece than have someone unqualified p*ssing in my pocket telling me how good it is.

Quote:

I believe their is way too much voiceover. Way too much. I particularly dislike the first voice over you begin with. It is too jarring, and it is not a "beginning point".

Yes, I agree that the amount of voiceover used is over the top, but we'll have to agree to disagree about the opening dialogues suitability. I feel it's extremely powerful & provides not only a starting point, but also an insight into the grooms thoughts on the day, regarding his 'greatest achievement'

Quote:

You have misc uninteresting shots, but no shot of her coming down the aisle, unless I missed it. Absolutely a critical shot. If I missed it, sorry.

There's 3 consecutive shots of her walking down the aisle from 2 different angles, and a comment about it above.

Quote:

For example you go from an indoor shot at the beginning to an outdoor of the clouds, and back to an indoor shot. The order of those clips in particular do not make sense artistically or logically.

I agree that this sequence of shots doesn't make sense and probably should be redone.

To be honest, I'm going for something a little different here. There's 1000's of studios that produce wedding highlights in an uninteresting, 'cookie-cutter' & linear fashion. eg preparation, ceremony, then the photos, reception etc. , throw in some sepia, diffused shots, slo-motion etc. in post and you're done, but it hardly pushes you to the next level by pumping out this kind of thing and it's certainly not what I'm trying to achieve.

Quote:

Lastly, I dislike the song.

Obviously this is 100% subjective and personal taste. I've heard enough "U2 - Beautiful Day", Celine Dion, and even "Israel Kamakawiwo'ole – Somewhere Over the Rainbow" in weddings to last me a lifetime, so am constantly on the lookout for something new. In this case it was actually something older that I found and I (and the couple) thought was a good fit.

Quote:

You have discovered the power of using voice overs and have gone bonkers with it.

No - it's not something I've 'just discovered' - I'm experimenting with an alternate method of storytelling, and we're in agreement that there's too much used.

Quote:

Someone around here said recently if you can't tell what the story is without the audio, then there is no story.

That's a great quote, and I will keep it in mind.

There's a few reasons why this one has missed the mark. I will take what I consider constructive feedback, and continue on!

Cheers,

Matt.