DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   First Wedding Highlight Video (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/235276-first-wedding-highlight-video.html)

Anthony Vu May 13th, 2009 10:24 AM

First Wedding Highlight Video

Hi everyone,

I wanted to share a wedding highlight that my friend Josh and I put together for our start up company, Alumiq Productions.

Kati and Jimmy's Wedding Highlights on Vimeo

First of all, we want to thank all those who participated/shared in this forum. We've learned a lot from this place and continue to learn. We encourage constructive criticism and definitely have open ears to listen for improvement. We have a LOOOONG way to go and looking forward to the experience.

Many thanks to Kevin Shahinian of Pacific Pictures who encourages me to keep trying to shoot beautiful footage and a great inspiration to many.

Thanks to Stillmotion. "Nuff said"

Anthony Vu

Oren Arieli May 13th, 2009 06:32 PM

Indeed, lots of beautiful footage, smooth shooting and good pacing. Only a few instances of exposure that could be better (some face shots were a bit dark), but otherwise, I think you're headed for success!

Paul Mailath May 13th, 2009 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony Vu (Post 1142456)
Hi everyone,
. We have a LOOOONG way to go and looking forward to the experience.

Anthony Vu

Not that far Anthony - that was bloody terrific! - I loved the way you cut to the music - even the walk of the bride & groom, it really cements the thing together

I watched it again to see if there was anything I felt I could comment on - nope, I'd be thrilled if I produced something like that - you should be too.

Susanto Widjaja May 14th, 2009 08:58 AM

That was great!

I envy your slow moving smooth pilot shots.......

I'm using merlin so its so hard to get a slow moving shot.

I think you need to do some coloring there. I think it will make a great deal of difference.

And the cut could probably be faster in some instances. But that's probably just me.. :)

Santo

Anthony Vu May 14th, 2009 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oren Arieli (Post 1142702)
Indeed, lots of beautiful footage, smooth shooting and good pacing. Only a few instances of exposure that could be better (some face shots were a bit dark), but otherwise, I think you're headed for success!

Thanks for the crits Oren. I do appreciate them very very much.

I agree with you. The shadows on a lot of the faces lack a consistency. I'm not quite sure how to remedy that since it's an event with changing light conditions. If anyone has ideas PLEASE share. I would love to know. I do try to color correct the skin tones to match each other, and believe you me, it's a daunting task.

Anthony Vu May 14th, 2009 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Mailath (Post 1142722)
Not that far Anthony - that was bloody terrific! - I loved the way you cut to the music - even the walk of the bride & groom, it really cements the thing together

I watched it again to see if there was anything I felt I could comment on - nope, I'd be thrilled if I produced something like that - you should be too.

Paul,

Your comments are very flattering and it humbles me to know that others are enjoying watching the video. I'm always looking to improve and I enjoy listening to peoples input, especially those I respect.

Anthony

Anthony Vu May 14th, 2009 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susanto Widjaja (Post 1142972)
That was great!

I envy your slow moving smooth pilot shots.......

I'm using merlin so its so hard to get a slow moving shot.

I think you need to do some coloring there. I think it will make a great deal of difference.

And the cut could probably be faster in some instances. But that's probably just me.. :)

Santo

Thanks for the input Santo! I will definitely put those into account when putting together the next edit.

The steadicam shots were taken by my friend Josh and I manned the Brevis. We also have a Merlin, and it's no where near as stable as the Pilot. But the Merlin is great in tight spots and the only people who notice not so good steadicam work are steadicam peepers like myself. :)

Anthony

Kevin Shahinian July 29th, 2009 04:00 PM

Well, Anthony, you know how I feel about this clip... I know the backstory and it being your first solo project is really something else. I'm so glad I've inspired you and I'm thrilled to see this kind of polish in your stuff. Keep up the awesome work and I look forward to shooting with you again soon.

Best,
-K

Victor Kellar July 29th, 2009 05:25 PM

Very nice, went together pretty smoothly, over all. What's the song?

Michael Padilla July 29th, 2009 07:04 PM

That was excellent.. very well done! Good job; look forward to seeing more.

Patrick Moreau August 3rd, 2009 09:01 AM

hey anthony,

i think your off to a great start. you had some good compositions, some great moments, and some nice solid move and ideas in there.

i think color would be huge for this but i wouldn't get caught up in trying to 'grade' the piece and be really dramatic. at this point, i think some basic three way color correcter to properly white balance and expose each image would go a long way in making the piece more cohesive. a lot of your shots felt very cool but the imagery suggested they should be warm - as an example.

the other thing would be the use of slow motion. i would ask yourself why your using it so much, what is it adding, and is it better to show some of those shots in 5 seconds (slow motion) vs the same thing in 2 seconds at regular speed. you have one song to get something powerful across, make sure that you don't waste a single frame. slow motion has it's place, but when overused it can certainly do much more harm i feel.

thanks for sharing.

P.

Kren Barnes August 3rd, 2009 01:01 PM

Dang you are good !! keep it up...

Wishing you guys much success

Matt Barwick August 3rd, 2009 07:09 PM

Good job Anthony - very nice work!

You've got some good constructive feedback above so not much more to add.

My fave cut was the lens flare timed with the track crescendo at 3:18!

Cheers,

Matt.

Taky Cheung August 3rd, 2009 10:20 PM

Anthony, woow that was nicely put together. I like all your steadicam shots. Very good job mixing with the music too.

Carl Wilky August 4th, 2009 09:40 AM

Nice clip. I enjoyed it all the way through. It's definitely a good base for a future career, not doubt about that.

As others have mentioned, proper exposure and maybe a bit of color grading would be a plus. The slow motion did seem out of place in some few shots but seem to have worked in others. I'm not sure if it was my connection but the slow motion seem very jerky.

The other aspect i wanted to mention was the audio. When i first started i was always tempted to leave the ambient audio out, to make it look more like a music video, but adding it to the existing music sometime bring the emotions out for viewers to relive the moment. Try it on your next SDE, and see the crowd reaction. You'll be amazed

Thanks for sharing.