DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   The First "real" Love story from i've been learn (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/235330-first-real-love-story-ive-been-learn.html)

Thanh Nguyen May 14th, 2009 02:41 AM

The First "real" Love story from i've been learn

Hello all. It an honor to be part of this Pro forum. I have been reading asking question and watch and watch many of the pro wedding highlights and love story. I tried to use as much as possible from what i learn or tried to remember from what i saw from other's video and create this love story. I want anything that you guys can throw at me the good the bad and the super ugly please anything, don't hold anything back heheh because i need to make it better more better. This video is for the couple's wedding date of July 4 08 and i also have June 20, August 1 and October 3 to create more videos. We have a schedule of shooting another love story for the August 1 in May 30 so i hope from this first "real" love story i would improve more on the May 30 heheh please input please

Spec for this video:

2 Canon XHA1 with Panalook2 preset (from this forum"
DTE Sony HVR MRC1k with 233x irata 32GB Compact flash
Shoot in HDV30F
CS3 with HDV 1080p30 preset
slowmotion 60% most of them
color correct i use the equalizer in the color correct folder(don't know how to use other)
I'm learn CS3 so heheh bear with me

here the link

PhuongPhuong on Vimeo

PS also check out this one Dieu Huyen Wedding A Day in the Park on Vimeo to compare before and after of my work.

Thank you all

Thanh Nguyen May 15th, 2009 01:02 AM

Please

Just wondering why haven't got any input yet. Was it so bad that you all have nothing to say?? please.

Susanto Widjaja May 15th, 2009 01:22 AM

Hi Thanh,

Here's what I think of your video:

1. Too many cuts of the same sort of frame
2. Too slow
3. I'm not sure that I dig the scene when the the couple is shooting with your a1. it looks too big for him.

What I think you should do,

1. I think you should work on your framing more.
2. Don't force yourself to use 2 cameras just yet. I think at the moment it gives you a ton of footage of the similar thing.
3. shoot more stuff :) You're getting there!

Thanks for sharing,

Santo

Thanh Nguyen May 15th, 2009 01:35 AM

Sweet

Thank you so much Susanto. i didn't expect you to comment on my video heheheh. You know it like i'm looking up the ladder and you are up there. Thank you so much. That get me thinking more how i'm going to do the next shoot. I'm trying to get the DOF man that make a big different.

The reason for 2 cam is that i plan to have the couple shoot each other while i shoot them. That why the second a1 are for. i didn't use much footage from the other A1.

I didn't get what you mean by "too big for him" heheh

and ""I think you should work on your framing more."" please explain more please

Thank you so much for your time to respond. Please keep it coming more thank you.

Mark Von Lanken May 15th, 2009 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thanh Nguyen (Post 1142857)
...I want anything that you guys can throw at me the good the bad and the super ugly please anything, don't hold anything back heheh because i need to make it better more better....

Hi Thanh,

The two biggest things to change that would dramtically improve your Love Stories are:
1. Don't use the heart wipes or any type of transition like that. Keep it to cuts and dissolves.
2. Shoot more closeups.

A majority of your shots were wide, but when you mixed in medium and close shots it really helped. An example of this is at 2:49-2:57. That was great, so do more of that.

2:56-3:04 is an example of having three wide shots back to back. Using a close shot in the middle of those shots would have really helped.

On the framing of wide shots, avoid putting the couple in the middle of the shot. At 1:45 the couple are on the left side of the shot. Perfect. At 1:23 they are in the middle, but that is a good example of when they should be in the middle of the frame.

3:01-3:20 was another really nice segment. Started with a wide shot, then to a closer shot, and when you had the low angle before they walked in was great. That was another example of when it is fine for then to be in the middle of the shot because the next shot is a wide shot with them framed to the left.

So bottom line, think of it this way. Try to avoid shots where they are framed the same way. If shot one is wide, shot two should be close. Really try to avoid two wide shots of the couple in a row. Two close shots in a row is perfectly fine.

John Moon May 15th, 2009 09:57 AM

Thanh...I agree with what Mark said. You had some nice shots in there. If you construct the edit a little different you will get an entirel new feel. Let the camera do the work. Simple cuts with variation in composition will do wonders. I'm sure your couple loved this.

Thanh Nguyen May 15th, 2009 01:26 PM

Thank you thank you

hi Mark and John

Thank you so much for your time checking and comment on my first video. That video was shot in June of last year which before i watch a lots of your's work and spent more time in this forum. My recent one are this one PhuongPhuong on Vimeo which i shot April 25 and just got it done i changed a lot from the previous one from style of editing and shoot. Please take a look. And thank you so much for your time commenting my work i really needed thank again.

Thanh Nguyen May 15th, 2009 01:29 PM

Oh I for got

When Mark comment i though he mean this PhuongPhuong on Vimeo and i check the time that he put and i keep asking myself at that time it closeup shot what did he talking about wide shot heheheh and stupid me i realize that he meant the other one heheheh silly me.

J.J. Kim May 15th, 2009 02:45 PM

Get HV30 and give it to the couple. Something small with good quality video.
At least that's my plan for my first STD video (or love story video)
I am not sure who chose the music, but it's a bit too slow. Save the Date should be somewhat cute, hip and fun.
They looked like they were having lots of fun but the lots of slowmo and music kind of held them back.

For the wedding video, I would cut down on graphics a little bit.

Here are my 2cents.
Thanks for the sharing, Thanh.

JJ

Stephen J. Williams May 15th, 2009 06:43 PM

I agree about getting another camera for the couple to use... When I did a STD I let the couple use my Super 8 camera. It helped tell a story a little more and they actually loved using it.
A super 8 looks great on camera in my opinion, and is unique with the younger generation.
You can pick one up off of ebay for pretty cheap..
Even if it didn't work it would make a great prop and you could duplicate the effect in post.

Thanh Nguyen May 20th, 2009 02:31 PM

Thank you thank you

Hello JJ i don't have any small cam so i use what i have. The music I Do by Mark Willis is their song. They chose that song. The graphic is the one a year a go which i don't like it either. As you can see with the new one that i did no graphic at all it only cross fade. Thank you so much for your time comments and your 2cents. Next time give me 3cents hihjihih

Please guys and gals i need critics on this video PhuongPhuong on Vimeo please. I had change the way i shoot and edit and that what i had done so far any comment to improve my video are super thank you.