Wedd.Clip critic at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery

Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
For video clip sharing and feedback -- VIMEO links will automatically embed a player.

Old May 19th, 2009, 08:35 AM   #1
Wedd.Clip critic
Erick Munari Erick Munari is offline May 19th, 2009, 08:35 AM

Comments are welcome on this clip, filmed under challenging light and space.
Thanks,
Erick.
Frank and Roisin on Vimeo

Erick Munari
Regular Crew
Views: 1118
Old May 19th, 2009, 08:59 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Everyone has their own style for these types of clips. It takes guts to put your film out here and ask for criticism. Applause for wanting to improve by hearing the opinions of others. Here are a couple of observations, keeping in mind that everyone will have their own opinion about these things.

1. I don't like it when I see lips moving but I don't hear audio. I saw the bride saying her vows during the ceremony, but I didn't hear them.

2. It looks like one of the cameras during the ceremony was on a tripod and the other was handheld? A bit shaky for my taste.

3. Audio when bride and groom are thanking people for coming could be louder. It was difficult to hear.

4. Is the copyright notice at the end a little too much in-your-face? It seemed a little bit much for me.

Again, for what it's worth, these are my opinions. It looked like a fun non-traditional wedding, and it definitely looked like it was challenging given the lighting and physical limitations of the venue. I'm sure the B&G will love it.

PS - Which version of Stand By Me was that? I'll be using the song for one of my videos and I'm trying to decide which version to go with.
Old May 19th, 2009, 09:52 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Aaron!
It is too shaky for me too, but there was no room for a tripod except for the one I set up unmaned on top of the bar at the risk of being knocked out anytime. Some of the shakes however worked to my advantage, but i do prefer tripod when I can, no budget for steadycams yet.
The audio was also difficult but mostly my fault on editing.
As for the song, it is the John Lennon version, so good!
Thanks again,
Erick.
Erick Munari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 11:55 AM   #4
Major Player

Aaron covered much of the same ground that I would have. When a tripod isn't an option, a monopod always will be. Otherwise, use image stabilization to your advantage, learn how to cradle the camera or plant yourself so that your shots are steadier. The lighting was indeed challenging, but that doesn't mean you should be a slave to it. On-camera LED lights can be bought for as little as $30 and would go a long way to filling in the faces, and popping the colors.
If you were a just an invited guest with a handycam, then this would have been a pretty good resulting video. If you were hired, or hoped to do this with an eye on getting future work..then there is room for improvement.
The biggest problem with being a guest is that you generally don't go out of your way to get the best shots. The advantage of being a pro is that you learn to be more up-front and inconsiderate (for lack of a better word) about the other guests sightlines. That means, standing more than sitting to get a good shot (like during toasts or speeches). There were some nice moments in there, and good shots (considering the tight location)..but I would lose much of the shaky-cam footage (or get a stabilizing plug-in for your NLE).
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 02:27 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Oren,
you are so right about those shaky shots, and get myself a stabilizer ( my monopod didn't stand the weight of the camera) when tripod is not an option. As for the on camera light, they asked me not to use it!
And of I go to another wedding, wish me luck!
Thank you for the time to watch and comment,
Erick.
Erick Munari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2009, 10:51 AM   #6
Major Player

Erick:

Running a deshaker script in your NLE can work wonders. I run it on almost all handheld shots.
Old May 20th, 2009, 11:56 AM   #7
Major Player

I think everything has been covered, let me just add a 250w Tota Lights would have done wonder in the venue. There are shots that should have been made with a glidecam, I don't own one either but I know what I can and what I cannot do ( shot wise i.e.)

Thanks for sharing.
Noel Lising is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery