DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   Photo Session using XH-A1 and HV30 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/236606-photo-session-using-xh-a1-hv30.html)

Taky Cheung June 2nd, 2009 10:12 AM

Photo Session using XH-A1 and HV30

Shot with XH-A1 and HV30 on Merlin. It was a tricky situation to shoot as the sun was setting casting hard shadow. The backlight was horrible too.

LA Color - Wedding Photography and Videography serving Great Los Angeles Areas

John De Rienzo June 2nd, 2009 10:18 AM

Hi Taky, extremely slow to play here, and thats with 10mb connection!

What I have seen, 30sec, I noticed a fade to black on each transition. Not sure it has the desired effect!

Cheers.

Taky Cheung June 2nd, 2009 10:19 AM

I just posted it to other forums, facebook, and to my clients. The sever might get busy now =)

Erick Munari June 2nd, 2009 12:30 PM

Taky,
are you shooting 24p on the hv and 24f on the xh? And if so, do you use FCP to edit? And, if so, how the h... do you match the two in the time line, specially if multicliped?
Nice footage, always liked your stuff.
Erick.

Taky Cheung June 2nd, 2009 12:33 PM

Erick,

Thanks for your comment. No I didn't shoot with 24F and PF24. 24fps is just not ideal in making slow motion scene. It was shoot with 30p.

Edited with Premiere Pro CS4.

Taky

Erick Munari June 2nd, 2009 12:36 PM

ah, the 30p slo mo, that's right. It looks good, Thanks anyway and good luck.

Jim Snow June 2nd, 2009 01:29 PM

You have some nice shots there. A couple of thoughts - When you are shooting posed shots and you have a choice of camera direction, it's good to be mindful of the problem with lens flare when the sun's angle is too close to the camera's direction. Try to set up your shot with a better sun angle. There are times when you are shooting an event that you are limited in what you can do with camera positioning. But when you are composing a shot, it's good to avoid bad sun angles if you can. You are less likely to notice lens flare in your camera's viewfinder or LCD when you are shooting than afterward when you see the footage but then it's too late.

A lens hood can help somewhat with lens flare from the sun but once the sun's angle become too close to the camera's direction, nothing will help. If you are using filters, make sure they are multicoated as this reduces flair susceptibility.

There are a few occasions when lens flare can be artistically used. An example that I saw was a vertical shot through the trees at a wedding venue. The shot was a rotating shot with the sun high in the sky. The lens flare actually made the shot look more dramatic. However deliberate "compositional" lens flare is one thing; inadvertent lens flare is another.

Taky Cheung June 2nd, 2009 03:18 PM

Jim, thanks for watching. As I have said, the scene is a tricky situation with sun setting. It's either getting back light or shoot the side or back of the subject. The photographer was also from another company so I can't be blocking his path too.

Both cameras has lens hood mounted. With the sun almost at eye level, lens fare is unavoidable. But I actually like the lens fare. It adds some artistic sense to the video.

So I'm proud of the outcome of the video even with this less than desirable condition. =)