DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   A next day edit to share! Debut of the pilot!! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/237366-next-day-edit-share-debut-pilot.html)

Ram Purad June 15th, 2009 07:40 AM

A next day edit to share! Debut of the pilot!!

Last time, I shared this clip with you guys in which our trustworthy GT made it's debut:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/wedding-e...lidetrack.html

This time, I would like to share a next day edit we did past weekend in which our steadicam pilot made its debut. After using handheld merlin for a year and a half, we upgraded our stabilizing unit to seatdicam pilot a couple of weeks ago. Although I have used the pilot on couple of engagement shoots before, this was the first real wedding shoot where I had plenty of opportunity to use it.

I hate to post clips here that are cut to other than an instrumental or an english as most of you won't understand the lyrics hence limiting you from experiencing the full effect of the clip. But I make this an exception since I would like you guys to critique on the (steadicam) visuals as I benefit a lot from the C&C comes from here. Thanks for your time.

Shree-Sai & Anil :: The Next Day Edit! on Vimeo

David Schuurman June 15th, 2009 07:55 AM

Hey Ram,

I liked your end shot the best.

Pilot shots were really smooth, good work on that.
I did feel like there was just a BIT too much pilot work, but I understand that you just got it and wanted to really get using it more.

Out of curiosity what cameras do you shoot with?

Noel Lising June 15th, 2009 08:07 AM

I have to 2nd David's comment, I love the end shot. Ram, you have evolved, comparing your work now to where it was last year you have become so much better. You have veered away from shooting like Still Motion ( who's not guilty anyway), developing a style of your own. If I can afford you I have Feb 6, 2010 shoot that requires a 2nd shooter.

Thank you for sharing

Matthew Craggs June 15th, 2009 08:50 AM

Very good stuff. I thought there was a good ratio of Pilot/non-Pilot footage. I don't like longer clips with no audio, but I'll let it slide because it looked so good.

Ram Purad June 15th, 2009 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Schuurman (Post 1158712)
Hey Ram,

I liked your end shot the best.

Pilot shots were really smooth, good work on that.
I did feel like there was just a BIT too much pilot work, but I understand that you just got it and wanted to really get using it more.

Out of curiosity what cameras do you shoot with?

David,

Thanks for taking time in watching and commenting on the clip.

Yes, the end shot is one of my personal favs as well.

We used 2 XH-A1s and a HV30 for this shoot.

Ram Purad June 15th, 2009 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noel Lising (Post 1158718)
I have to 2nd David's comment, I love the end shot. Ram, you have evolved, comparing your work now to where it was last year you have become so much better. You have veered away from shooting like Still Motion ( who's not guilty anyway), developing a style of your own. If I can afford you I have Feb 6, 2010 shoot that requires a 2nd shooter.

Thank you for sharing

Noel,

Thanks for the kind words. To even have the word StillMotion mentioned in my post is a great compliment. Like many others, I look up to those guys in many ways.

Glad to hear that you are noticing a style of mine own developing with my work. An identity of our own is what makes us thrive harder.

Ram Purad June 15th, 2009 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matthew Craggs (Post 1158736)
Very good stuff. I thought there was a good ratio of Pilot/non-Pilot footage. I don't like longer clips with no audio, but I'll let it slide because it looked so good.

Matthew,

Thanks for the comment. Assuming by 'audio' you are referring to voice overs (VO), I'm always on the look for include them in clips when possible; But I only would like to include VO if it can add to the clip and help tell the story better. With this piece, I did not find any useful VO that I can use plus I felt the story is well presented visually. I hate to include VO for the sake of including them.

Carl Wilky June 15th, 2009 02:08 PM

Hey Ram, good work. For a Steadicam Debut its quite impressive. All and all i like everything you've done here, specially the reveal in the woods, it was well executed and smooth.

I'm no color correction expert, but i think that's where your weakest point is. It seems to shift from cooler colors to warmer colors and back. If you could nail that aspect of you videos, then you would probably have a much stronger piece.

Concerning the song, i think it doesn't really matter if we understand the words or not as it pertains perfectly with the content. Its well sinqed and very interesting to watch, so good work.

P.S. speaking of song, is this a Shri Lankan song? What would be the title of it. I did a big no no not too long ago where i used a Hindu song for a Shri Lankan wedding... lets just say the clients explained to me the difference quite eloquently. What is the name of the song and the artist?

Thank you for sharing

Ram Purad June 16th, 2009 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl Wilky (Post 1158847)
Hey Ram, good work. For a Steadicam Debut its quite impressive. All and all i like everything you've done here, specially the reveal in the woods, it was well executed and smooth.

I'm no color correction expert, but i think that's where your weakest point is. It seems to shift from cooler colors to warmer colors and back. If you could nail that aspect of you videos, then you would probably have a much stronger piece.

Concerning the song, i think it doesn't really matter if we understand the words or not as it pertains perfectly with the content. Its well sinqed and very interesting to watch, so good work.

P.S. speaking of song, is this a Shri Lankan song? What would be the title of it. I did a big no no not too long ago where i used a Hindu song for a Shri Lankan wedding... lets just say the clients explained to me the difference quite eloquently. What is the name of the song and the artist?

Thank you for sharing

Carl,

Thanks for the feedback.

The song used in the piece is from the soundtrack of the movie called vaamanan. It's a South Indian movie. Here is a youtube version of it:

YouTube - Vamanan-Edho Seigirai FULL SONG

hope that helps.

Carl Wilky June 17th, 2009 07:07 AM

Thanks Ram for the reply, its much appreciated.

south Indian huh? You wouldn't happen to know for a fact where i can find a current popular Shri Lakan song? Would you know of any titles?

Richard Wakefield June 17th, 2009 07:40 AM

Hi Ram,

For a first-time with the pilot/GT, it's really impressive... did you use a lens with the pilot at all?

There are some clear influences in there, but hey, it's GREAT!

what was funny for me to note was you and I have exactly the same balance of static, wide, close-ups, gliding and glidetracking in our clips :)

if only if it had been in HD and with maybe a bit more levels/colour adjusting, it would have been stunning!

you're definitely one to look out for!

Ram Purad June 17th, 2009 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl Wilky (Post 1159618)
Thanks Ram for the reply, its much appreciated.

south Indian huh? You wouldn't happen to know for a fact where i can find a current popular Shri Lakan song? Would you know of any titles?

Carl,

Check your email. I've sent you a PM.

Ram Purad June 17th, 2009 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Wakefield (Post 1159631)
Hi Ram,

For a first-time with the pilot/GT, it's really impressive... did you use a lens with the pilot at all?

There are some clear influences in there, but hey, it's GREAT!

what was funny for me to note was you and I have exactly the same balance of static, wide, close-ups, gliding and glidetracking in our clips :)

if only if it had been in HD and with maybe a bit more levels/colour adjusting, it would have been stunning!

you're definitely one to look out for!

Richard,

Thanks for the feedback and for the compliment. Its huge coming out of you as I'm a fan of your work myself. Your promo clip about the GT a while back is what got me attracted to it.

No lens adapter was used on the A1 which was on the pilot.

Point taken about the CC. This will be addressed and improved in the upcoming works.

Again, thanks for the feedback.

Richard Wakefield June 17th, 2009 08:37 AM

aw man, cheers back!

u've clearly got a great raw talent, and a great eye for creative composition too, right from the word go...can't wait to see more of your stuff. i can just about get away with my flycam, but clips like this make me want to invest in a pilot!

by the way, you don't 'need' to do cc, i just think a bit of tweaking would give it the defining edge :)