A next day edit to share! Debut of the pilot!! at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery

Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
For video clip sharing and feedback -- VIMEO links will automatically embed a player.


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old June 15th, 2009, 08:40 AM   #1
A next day edit to share! Debut of the pilot!!
Ram Purad Ram Purad is offline June 15th, 2009, 08:40 AM

Last time, I shared this clip with you guys in which our trustworthy GT made it's debut:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/wedding-e...lidetrack.html

This time, I would like to share a next day edit we did past weekend in which our steadicam pilot made its debut. After using handheld merlin for a year and a half, we upgraded our stabilizing unit to seatdicam pilot a couple of weeks ago. Although I have used the pilot on couple of engagement shoots before, this was the first real wedding shoot where I had plenty of opportunity to use it.

I hate to post clips here that are cut to other than an instrumental or an english as most of you won't understand the lyrics hence limiting you from experiencing the full effect of the clip. But I make this an exception since I would like you guys to critique on the (steadicam) visuals as I benefit a lot from the C&C comes from here. Thanks for your time.

Shree-Sai & Anil :: The Next Day Edit! on Vimeo
__________________
Ram Purad :: Aspiring Event Filmmaker
http://www.butterflysquad.com

Ram Purad
Regular Crew
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 171
Views: 772
Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2009, 08:55 AM   #2
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Hamilton, ON Canada
Posts: 369
Hey Ram,

I liked your end shot the best.

Pilot shots were really smooth, good work on that.
I did feel like there was just a BIT too much pilot work, but I understand that you just got it and wanted to really get using it more.

Out of curiosity what cameras do you shoot with?
David Schuurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2009, 09:07 AM   #3
Major Player
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 789
I have to 2nd David's comment, I love the end shot. Ram, you have evolved, comparing your work now to where it was last year you have become so much better. You have veered away from shooting like Still Motion ( who's not guilty anyway), developing a style of your own. If I can afford you I have Feb 6, 2010 shoot that requires a 2nd shooter.

Thank you for sharing
__________________
Noel Lising
Noel Lising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2009, 09:50 AM   #4
Major Player
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Welland, Ontario
Posts: 311
Very good stuff. I thought there was a good ratio of Pilot/non-Pilot footage. I don't like longer clips with no audio, but I'll let it slide because it looked so good.
Matthew Craggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2009, 12:46 PM   #5
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Schuurman View Post
Hey Ram,

I liked your end shot the best.

Pilot shots were really smooth, good work on that.
I did feel like there was just a BIT too much pilot work, but I understand that you just got it and wanted to really get using it more.

Out of curiosity what cameras do you shoot with?
David,

Thanks for taking time in watching and commenting on the clip.

Yes, the end shot is one of my personal favs as well.

We used 2 XH-A1s and a HV30 for this shoot.
__________________
Ram Purad :: Aspiring Event Filmmaker
http://www.butterflysquad.com
Ram Purad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2009, 01:00 PM   #6
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel Lising View Post
I have to 2nd David's comment, I love the end shot. Ram, you have evolved, comparing your work now to where it was last year you have become so much better. You have veered away from shooting like Still Motion ( who's not guilty anyway), developing a style of your own. If I can afford you I have Feb 6, 2010 shoot that requires a 2nd shooter.

Thank you for sharing
Noel,

Thanks for the kind words. To even have the word StillMotion mentioned in my post is a great compliment. Like many others, I look up to those guys in many ways.

Glad to hear that you are noticing a style of mine own developing with my work. An identity of our own is what makes us thrive harder.
__________________
Ram Purad :: Aspiring Event Filmmaker
http://www.butterflysquad.com
Ram Purad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2009, 01:13 PM   #7
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Craggs View Post
Very good stuff. I thought there was a good ratio of Pilot/non-Pilot footage. I don't like longer clips with no audio, but I'll let it slide because it looked so good.
Matthew,

Thanks for the comment. Assuming by 'audio' you are referring to voice overs (VO), I'm always on the look for include them in clips when possible; But I only would like to include VO if it can add to the clip and help tell the story better. With this piece, I did not find any useful VO that I can use plus I felt the story is well presented visually. I hate to include VO for the sake of including them.
__________________
Ram Purad :: Aspiring Event Filmmaker
http://www.butterflysquad.com
Ram Purad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2009, 03:08 PM   #8
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montéal, Canada
Posts: 115
Hey Ram, good work. For a Steadicam Debut its quite impressive. All and all i like everything you've done here, specially the reveal in the woods, it was well executed and smooth.

I'm no color correction expert, but i think that's where your weakest point is. It seems to shift from cooler colors to warmer colors and back. If you could nail that aspect of you videos, then you would probably have a much stronger piece.

Concerning the song, i think it doesn't really matter if we understand the words or not as it pertains perfectly with the content. Its well sinqed and very interesting to watch, so good work.

P.S. speaking of song, is this a Shri Lankan song? What would be the title of it. I did a big no no not too long ago where i used a Hindu song for a Shri Lankan wedding... lets just say the clients explained to me the difference quite eloquently. What is the name of the song and the artist?

Thank you for sharing
Carl Wilky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2009, 04:09 PM   #9
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Wilky View Post
Hey Ram, good work. For a Steadicam Debut its quite impressive. All and all i like everything you've done here, specially the reveal in the woods, it was well executed and smooth.

I'm no color correction expert, but i think that's where your weakest point is. It seems to shift from cooler colors to warmer colors and back. If you could nail that aspect of you videos, then you would probably have a much stronger piece.

Concerning the song, i think it doesn't really matter if we understand the words or not as it pertains perfectly with the content. Its well sinqed and very interesting to watch, so good work.

P.S. speaking of song, is this a Shri Lankan song? What would be the title of it. I did a big no no not too long ago where i used a Hindu song for a Shri Lankan wedding... lets just say the clients explained to me the difference quite eloquently. What is the name of the song and the artist?

Thank you for sharing
Carl,

Thanks for the feedback.

The song used in the piece is from the soundtrack of the movie called vaamanan. It's a South Indian movie. Here is a youtube version of it:

YouTube - Vamanan-Edho Seigirai FULL SONG

hope that helps.
__________________
Ram Purad :: Aspiring Event Filmmaker
http://www.butterflysquad.com
Ram Purad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2009, 08:07 AM   #10
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montéal, Canada
Posts: 115
Thanks Ram for the reply, its much appreciated.

south Indian huh? You wouldn't happen to know for a fact where i can find a current popular Shri Lakan song? Would you know of any titles?
Carl Wilky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2009, 08:40 AM   #11
Major Player
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Surrey, UK
Posts: 680
Hi Ram,

For a first-time with the pilot/GT, it's really impressive... did you use a lens with the pilot at all?

There are some clear influences in there, but hey, it's GREAT!

what was funny for me to note was you and I have exactly the same balance of static, wide, close-ups, gliding and glidetracking in our clips :)

if only if it had been in HD and with maybe a bit more levels/colour adjusting, it would have been stunning!

you're definitely one to look out for!
Richard Wakefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2009, 09:16 AM   #12
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Wilky View Post
Thanks Ram for the reply, its much appreciated.

south Indian huh? You wouldn't happen to know for a fact where i can find a current popular Shri Lakan song? Would you know of any titles?
Carl,

Check your email. I've sent you a PM.
__________________
Ram Purad :: Aspiring Event Filmmaker
http://www.butterflysquad.com
Ram Purad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2009, 09:31 AM   #13
Regular Crew
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Wakefield View Post
Hi Ram,

For a first-time with the pilot/GT, it's really impressive... did you use a lens with the pilot at all?

There are some clear influences in there, but hey, it's GREAT!

what was funny for me to note was you and I have exactly the same balance of static, wide, close-ups, gliding and glidetracking in our clips :)

if only if it had been in HD and with maybe a bit more levels/colour adjusting, it would have been stunning!

you're definitely one to look out for!
Richard,

Thanks for the feedback and for the compliment. Its huge coming out of you as I'm a fan of your work myself. Your promo clip about the GT a while back is what got me attracted to it.

No lens adapter was used on the A1 which was on the pilot.

Point taken about the CC. This will be addressed and improved in the upcoming works.

Again, thanks for the feedback.
__________________
Ram Purad :: Aspiring Event Filmmaker
http://www.butterflysquad.com
Ram Purad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2009, 09:37 AM   #14
Major Player
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Surrey, UK
Posts: 680
aw man, cheers back!

u've clearly got a great raw talent, and a great eye for creative composition too, right from the word go...can't wait to see more of your stuff. i can just about get away with my flycam, but clips like this make me want to invest in a pilot!

by the way, you don't 'need' to do cc, i just think a bit of tweaking would give it the defining edge :)
Richard Wakefield is offline   Reply
Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY

Z.G.C.
(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

 



Google
 

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:14 AM.


DV Info Net -- Real Names, Real People, Real Info!
1998-2017 The Digital Video Information Network