DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   "Denis&Alena" Wedding Trailer (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/238178-denis-alena-wedding-trailer.html)

Oleg Kalyan June 29th, 2009 04:29 PM

"Denis&Alena" Wedding Trailer

One of the recent wedding in a film trailer form. Should I call it a documentary? Possibly so.
Still define it to myself, how to balance the facts, the characters discovery and the emotional content.

From tearful confessions of Denis Grandma to a trip to Macdonald's on a wedding day, a place where they've connected, to a few of highlights glimpses.

Denis&Alena Wedding Trailer By Oleg Kalyan On ExposureRoom

Appreciate your feedback as always!

Stephen J. Williams June 29th, 2009 04:42 PM

Great video... I love the play with the lights during the reception. I also liked the quick slide effect of the bride. Was that done in post or camera movements?

All in all, you achieve "as always" what I strive for... Great video.

Steve

Oleg Kalyan June 29th, 2009 08:56 PM

Stephen, thank you!

the lights play was done by the lighting DJ, a camera slide, by me, with camera..

To those of you who looked, does the trailer seem a bit sad?

For me the material presented quite complex mix of emotions, to tell the story, and in a long form, the entire film has logical continuity, yet happy and sad (ill grandma) coexist, in a subtle way..

Does a "Macdonalds" part track sound a bit shocking? Thinking of replacing it with actual film part, more mellow, lively track. Possibly the context of the trailer mixes up a bit too much?

Paul Mailath June 30th, 2009 02:31 AM

wonderful images and although the language is a barrier, the grandmothers emotion shines through.

I do think it's sad somehow but it seems to fit, perhaps the Hungarians arn't the only ones who 'take their pleasures sadly'

the couple did seem alone throughout most of the clip, it was 1:50 before we saw any of the people at the reception.

I think it's clear from the images that the golden arches is important to them but maybe the audio could be changed.

you give us a lot to aspire to

Oleg Kalyan June 30th, 2009 04:57 AM

Paul, thanks a lot for the comment!
The Russians are sad, until they drink, then life outlook changes, it turns into
a party :) Just kidding. I think every nationality within its traditions has subtleties
that present a great challenge for a film maker to reveal.

We have visual content, choice of a musical score, editing to accentuate on nuances.
Whether emotional link established or not, a viewer has to decide, most importantly
the clients, although universal truth can shine through!

I guess the soundtrack to MD part is not an issue?

Jerry Porter June 30th, 2009 09:20 AM

I really LIKE it and as far sad maybe a little but there is plenty of fun in there to counter it. What I really want to know is how did you get them to do all those set ups??? That's the biggest trick I see in the piece!!!

Oleg Kalyan June 30th, 2009 10:36 AM

Jerry, thank you!
Could you clarify, I don't understand the question: "how did you get them to do all those set ups?"

Art Varga June 30th, 2009 11:10 AM

Oleg - another refreshingly unconventional piece which we know we can always expect from you. I found the soundtrack very interesting - it seemed to ride a thin line between joy and sadness. The McDonalds music did jump out at me and maybe a bit dark but the effect on me was more of a surprise and a message to "pay attention" this is not what you expect". Loved the closing shot with the sly smile from the bride.

Art

Jerry Porter June 30th, 2009 11:11 AM

No problem, what I mean by "set up" it seems like they did a lot of posed or "set up" shots. The hallway, running across the plaza, kissing in the chair. How long did you have with them to shoot all those shots. Again I really liked it and good work.

Oleg Kalyan June 30th, 2009 11:55 AM

Jerry, now understood,

for the most part, set up shots, footage in this session are done, taken as as "byproduct" of a photographer work, who had dominated part of the wedding day, I had to work with a great, but very strict "set up" photographer who does not shoot live moments. Everything calculated, I've used some of his poses to get emotions shared to my camera. I thought some of my shots reveal emotional exchange going between B&G.

I assume in a true sense it's not a documentary, too many things done for the camera, but in the context of a set up photo session could it be called as such?
Perhaps I had to show a photographer in a trailer. He didn't want to be on camera. Tough guy!

Аrt, thank you for your input!

Steve Slattery July 1st, 2009 02:30 AM

Very enjoyable piece, loved the editing and the McD's piece. Didnt care for the dancing towards the end, it didnt seem to go with the music and it felt a bit creepy!! Just my opinion.

Would agree the closing shot was a gem.

Steve

Vito DeFilippo July 1st, 2009 05:46 AM

Oleg, I found it very interesting. Not sad really. A bit melancholic, which is not really 'sad', but there were enough positive moments to balance it out. It made it feel more like a movie, though, as opposed to a real wedding day. So it works as a trailer.

Great imagery as usual. Nice framing and shots. Loved the toss of the bouquet with all the flashes!

Jason LeFrense July 1st, 2009 09:30 PM

great work and great editing.

Oleg Kalyan July 2nd, 2009 11:05 PM

Thanks guys, it turn out that Flower bouquet throw the First dance shots are kind of drown in significance, shown as sort of a memory glimpse of the bride
( she is the "main character") ...

Yes, compared to complexity of emotions seen that day ( at least by me ) those things are not as significant.