Our first Same Day Edit (SDE) -heart attack anyone? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
For video clip sharing and feedback -- VIMEO links will automatically embed a player.

Old July 3rd, 2009, 02:03 PM   #1
Our first Same Day Edit (SDE) -heart attack anyone?
Kren Barnes Kren Barnes is offline July 3rd, 2009, 02:03 PM

I barely made it (8:22 pm) to the reception showing (8:30 pm) to hand this to my partner so the couple and 250 guests can watch it...TIP: always save your work just in case your cpu crashes :) took me a good 4 hours (with the crashes and all) and 3 cups of coffee and half a pack of Marlboros to deliver the final SDE film. not for the faint of heart but very very exciting..cannot wait to do it again !!

Your thoughts and advice are always welcome...

Cheers,

Vanessa and Reggie on Vimeo

Kren Barnes
Major Player
Views: 1413
Old July 3rd, 2009, 02:36 PM   #2
Major Player

Thanks for sharing. Just an advice though, it's always best to shoot the Bride when the make-up is done. It's not very flattering to see the Bride with make-up not on. I commend you for being brave and doing an SDE, I can't do it yet. The shoe shot are you trying to animate the shoes? It did not work for me.

Overall Im sure your client enjoyed the SDE.
Old July 3rd, 2009, 03:21 PM   #3
Major Player

Hi Noel,

Thanks for the input...i asked the bride before hand and she said she was OK with it...
The animated shoes could've have been better..i was scared to correct it fearing that my PPro might crash again....hehehehe!!

It helps to do an SDE if you have a team (there are 3 of us) and i only shoot and edit for the SDE. I used a SONY HDD SR1 AVCHD .

i also noticed that it is a good way to advertise our service since we have 5 bookings because of last weeks SDE...can't wait to do more !!

Cheers..
Kren Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2009, 03:39 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Congrats for pulling off the SDE! Hopefully you got a great reaction from the guests.

A few things I noticed ...

Filming a bride before makeup .. I know Noel advised not to do it but we do it all the time and it works great. You have to keep a few things in mind, though. First, does the girl have good complexion or not? In this case, the girls does not have good complexion so closeup shots without makeup are not going to be good for her. Second, make sure the lighting is going to compliment her skin if you want to use a color shot. The closeup of her has some nasty bluish outdoor light across part of her face, and it doesn't look good. In black and white that shot would look better.

I also have to agree that the shoe-animation segment didn't work at all for me. For a shot like that you definitely need to have the camera locked down on a tripod. The shot of the shoes bouncing around the screen also didn't work for me. But hey, you have to try something different sometimes, right?

I'm also seeing a lot of auto-exposure use. Turn it off and learn the manual exposure settings of your camera. When you're in the middle of a shot and the camera is automatically adjusting exposure it takes the focus off of the subject of your shot.

Anyways, it was a decent edit, especially for an SDE. I hope my comments help you. Thanks for sharing!
Old July 3rd, 2009, 04:27 PM   #5
Major Player

congrats dude, they are tough to do

I have done quite a few now but pressure of my first one wasn't even there because client never asked for it. I decided I let myself go smooth on the first one so if it works it does if not, at least client didn't ask for it

But even now, there is a pressure for sure

Great Work
Old July 3rd, 2009, 11:13 PM   #6
Major Player

Thanks Travis and Jawad for your inputs....i'll keep in mind for our wedding shoot tommorrow...

Cheers!
Kren Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2009, 07:01 AM   #7
Major Player

Too stressful for me! Awesome work pulling it off!
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4th, 2009, 08:44 AM   #8
Trustee

It's nice to be able to do a SDE if you have the manpower and time but for me, one man business, its impossible. Anyway I liked it, the shots you used are great although I noticed that in most of the shots the camera could have been steadier. I also didn't like the shoe animation.

Stelios
Old July 4th, 2009, 10:13 PM   #9
Major Player

hahahaha!! OK ...no more shoe animation
Thanks for the advice...
Kren Barnes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery