DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   Highlight clip... 1min 30 seconds.... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/238469-highlight-clip-1min-30-seconds.html)

Stephen J. Williams July 5th, 2009 11:17 AM

Highlight clip... 1min 30 seconds....

Well at least all of my recent highlights have been short.
I was really excited about this one since we went to so many places in Phili and the surrounding areas. But I think it might have degraded some of my work. I was task saturated.

Ohh well... comments are always welcome.

Steve

Kelly & Jason on Vimeo

Jason LeFrense July 5th, 2009 02:04 PM

Great job, man Love the shots and the story.

Matt Barwick July 5th, 2009 05:40 PM

Hey Steve,

Loved it. Really nice, relaxed yet upbeat feel to it and great job matching the edit to the track. The colouring was pretty saturated but it was pretty tight throughout so worked for me. I don't think the multiple locations took away from the piece at all.

Couple of things (if you want them) - if not please skim over :)

The shot trailing them at 0:38 would've been great w/out the photog in shot, but this is always a challenge.
The colouring of the 'Dracula kiss' around 1:00 looked a bit pastel compared to the rest of it.

Keep up the good work!

Cheers,

Matt.

Stephen J. Williams July 6th, 2009 08:00 AM

Jason...

Thanks for viewing and the compliments....

Matt...

Your becoming someone I can always count on to post on my work... I'm really thankful for that since I'm a fan of yours.

It's hard to keep the photog out of my shots. I've gotten better at it, you should have seen my stuff when I first started. That clip was just me carrying my camera across the street and not something I filmed intentionally.
I like the accidental shots that show imperfections. I think there needed here and there to make it look more "real"....

As far as the "dracula kiss" I really had to alter this clip within Magic Bullet. Originally all you could see in the clip was the skyline. so once I brightened up the couple and adjusted the skyline it had a different color tint to it then the rest of my project. I agree it looks odd, but i think the B&G will like it in there.

Steve

Oren Arieli July 6th, 2009 09:14 AM

Great use of sound during the first few clips, almost hoping the rest was done that way. Good energy throughout. Shame about the background noise during Kelly's vows. I would cover up the jumpcut at 1:18, but otherwise its a fun and well-shot piece.

Stephen J. Williams July 6th, 2009 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oren Arieli (Post 1167804)
Great use of sound during the first few clips, almost hoping the rest was done that way. Good energy throughout. Shame about the background noise during Kelly's vows. I would cover up the jumpcut at 1:18, but otherwise its a fun and well-shot piece.

Oren...

I tried to keep the natural audio throughout the entire video, but it just didn't sound right in some places....
2 helicopters were landing right over head as soon as the vows came around. It sorta sucked. Any recommendations for the Jump cut... I've tried simple fades and they dont seem to look right either.

most importantly, thanks for watching/commenting.

Steve

Jason LeFrense July 6th, 2009 12:35 PM

Hey Stephen,

Great job, nice edits. Some shots were a little yellowish but overall I think that was a good solid piece of work. The shot :45 in the middle of the street is screaming time lapse to me. I would say 5mins of footage at a good distance would have made that shot look super duper.

Awesome work Bro.

Vito DeFilippo July 6th, 2009 05:31 PM

Hi Stephen,

Here's some feedback for you:

In general, I like your shooting style. It's well framed, and even interestingly framed at times, which is nice to see. You have a good eye, and get good stuff to use.

I love the shot at 18sec of the fan from outside, and the shot at 50sec with the ring in the foreground.

The really shakey start to the shot at 1:03 was a bit TOO shakey for my taste, though I get what you are trying to do.

The flow could be improved greatly, I think, by some reordering of the shots, or by using a few more cutaways. This could get you away from a bit of the look of 'just a bunch of shots in a row', and could fix the closing jump cut as well.

For example, I find finishing on the vows to be not that strong, especially since his audio fades out too soon.

I would suggest ending with your opening instead so that we end on the applause, and start with the vows. You could start with her vow, cut to the few prep shots you have, then to his vow, then to your shots of the photo shoot.

If you want to keep the vows together, you could put in a cutaway over the jump cut, or a camera flash transition, or a wipe of some sort.

Anyway, well done. Looks great.

Paul Mailath July 6th, 2009 05:54 PM

Great - I really liked the music, it really was short & sweet.

a couple of things I noticed:

at :05 we can hear the celebrant saying "husband & Wife" but we're looking at the bride & Parents - it just seemed to throw me initially

I thought the photog was part of the action, it seemed like you were following along on the photo shoot - seemed fine to me

the cut at 1:16 stood out to me, I like the way you had them both saying something but why not use a transition of some sort?

Stephen J. Williams July 6th, 2009 08:33 PM

Vito...

Thanks for all the advice. I did go back and add in a flash frame between the clips of the vows. It's the quickest fix for now.

I'm glad that you liked some of my shots... On my next project I'll try to rethink the timeline where i'm not just adding clips.

Steve

Stephen J. Williams July 6th, 2009 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Mailath (Post 1168038)
Great - I really liked the music, it really was short & sweet.

a couple of things I noticed:

at :05 we can hear the celebrant saying "husband & Wife" but we're looking at the bride & Parents - it just seemed to throw me initially

I thought the photog was part of the action, it seemed like you were following along on the photo shoot - seemed fine to me

the cut at 1:16 stood out to me, I like the way you had them both saying something but why not use a transition of some sort?

Paul.... :05 Didn't even realize that until you mentioned it. Thats why I love this forum board.

It's funny that you mentioned why I didn't put a transition between the "vow clips". I did this once before with a transition on a different video and I was told that it didn't look good. I thought the same on this one. I went back and added in a flashframe.

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

Steve

Vito DeFilippo July 6th, 2009 08:41 PM

Hey Steve,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen J. Williams (Post 1168095)
I'm glad that you liked some of my shots... On my next project I'll try to rethink the timeline where i'm not just adding clips.

I liked a LOT of the shots. It's just a few really grabbed me as especially good.

Adding clips in a row is a tough edit when they are similar shots. I mean, for example, a row of medium shots of the couple kissing in various locations. If you have any available cutaways, you're much further ahead, and have material to bring us along in the story. I'm constantly kicking myself for not shooting enough cutaways.

Anyway, this is what we think about all the time, so we'll analyse the crap out of everything. In the end, it's your clients that matter, and I'm sure they'll love it...as they should because it's good.

Stephen J. Williams July 6th, 2009 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vito DeFilippo (Post 1168101)

Adding clips in a row is a tough edit when they are similar shots. I mean, for example, a row of medium shots of the couple kissing in various locations. If you have any available cutaways, you're much further ahead, and have material to bring us along in the story. I'm constantly kicking myself for not shooting enough cutaways.

I know what you mean... We were going so many places that I didn't get a chance to shoot as many as I would have liked. Infact, There are locations where I didn't shoot any at all.

Thanks again for the kind words and the advice. It's not unnoticed.

Steve