Maxim Magazine "Hometown Hottie" Video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery

Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
For video clip sharing and feedback -- VIMEO links will automatically embed a player.

Old July 6th, 2009, 07:25 PM   #1
Maxim Magazine "Hometown Hottie" Video
Travis Cossel Travis Cossel is offline July 6th, 2009, 07:25 PM

Thanks to Jason Robinson, I got the opportunity to shoot something very different than what I'm used to shooting. Each year Maxim Magazine has a competition for 'hometown' girls to try and become Maxim's 'hottie' for the year. In the past the videos were all shot by the girls themselves, with results being just as you would expect.

This year they decided to hire out the videos to professionals, and although the video had to be sexy and showcase the girl's personality ... I think we took it a step further and introduced some style and story.

Okay .. okay ... enough talk .... the video:

Maxim Magazine's "2009 Hometown Hottie" - Holly on Vimeo

Travis Cossel
Inner Circle
Views: 3229
Old July 6th, 2009, 07:49 PM   #2
Major Player

I'm blown away! 1st rate production Travis! Not overly fond of the slide shot on her crotch where she is tanning on sand, my only crit.
Nicholas de Kock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2009, 08:04 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Honestly, that's the one shot I wasn't totally happy with either. I had a different shot planned initially, but with how short the edit was that shot wasn't going to work. I had a few side shots of her legs but they weren't working out as well either. So I went to that shot. It bothers me more because you can see her nose, lol.
Old July 6th, 2009, 08:29 PM   #4
Major Player

Travis...

What a great experience it must have been... were using a glidetrack on the dolly shots?

I liked how you used the sky as a transition point.

Steve
Stephen J. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2009, 08:48 PM   #5
Trustee

Yo, Travis,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel View Post
Honestly, that's the one shot I wasn't totally happy with either.
That shot didn't bother me. It goes by so fast it seemed fine to me.

But Travis, you crossed the line with your first two shots! And again later on! Oh, the shame...

Other than that egregious flaw, I loved it. Really nice use of transition shots, too. That must have been a fun shoot.
Old July 6th, 2009, 09:00 PM   #6
Major Player

i just liked it big time.
Old July 6th, 2009, 09:09 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Stephen - It was a great experience. So fun to shoot and edit something totally different, especially with a great subject. d;-) And yes, that was a Glidetrack. Glad you liked the sky transition, because even though I had scripted it out it almost didn't happen. We had clouds all over and they cleared up just in time for those shots. I was pretty happy with the towel-to-shirt transition too, which was an improvised shot.

Vito - I'm assuming you're talking about the shots with the jeep, lol. I'm glad the other shot didn't bother you. When I finally settled on using it I decided to keep it as short and as fast as possible (I had a much slower glide version of the same thing). Thanks for the comments!

Dror - Thanks for watching!
Old July 6th, 2009, 09:11 PM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Cossel View Post
Vito - I'm assuming you're talking about the shots with the jeep, lol.
Yes, and I forgot my smilies. Glad you understood the tongue-in-cheek.

Great job.
Old July 7th, 2009, 07:21 AM   #9
Trustee

Did Maxim hire you directly, or were you hired by the model (or other intermediary?) Was there a set rate, or did they ask you for a quote? Were there a lot of requirements, or was it as easy as "look at our other videos and make it look something like that"?
Chris Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2009, 07:34 AM   #10
Trustee

...and please make sure that you don't forget the wedding videos after this...loved it Travis.Women are beautiful creatures and God bless those who work with them especially if they are models...The best scene was the one when she was fishing... :-) Don't you want an assistant for the next job?

Stelios
Old July 7th, 2009, 07:36 AM   #11
Major Player

Travis, what story telling? I can watch this video without sound and still enjoy it. j/k
Old July 7th, 2009, 08:22 AM   #12
Major Player

Great work Travis... Would be nice to do such a gig more often :-) Also agree about the "nose" shot - less nose would make it better :-)
Lukas Siewior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2009, 11:38 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Davis View Post
Did Maxim hire you directly, or were you hired by the model (or other intermediary?) Was there a set rate, or did they ask you for a quote? Were there a lot of requirements, or was it as easy as "look at our other videos and make it look something like that"?
I was contacted by a 3rd party who handled the details for Maxim. There was a VERY LOW set rate, but I negotiated mine up a bit (still very low pay). There was a 4-5 page shoot guideline packet with all the requirements, but the process was fairly open to creativity. They did provide a few samples, but mine doesn't look much like the samples. d;-)
Old July 7th, 2009, 11:41 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelios Christofides View Post
...and please make sure that you don't forget the wedding videos after this...loved it Travis.Women are beautiful creatures and God bless those who work with them especially if they are models...The best scene was the one when she was fishing... :-) Don't you want an assistant for the next job?

Stelios
I won't. d;-) I still love weddings. But I definitely wouldn't mind shooting some more of these as long as I'm allowed to be creative. I actually did want to have an assistant on this shoot, and it would have been really useful for me .. but believe it or not the 'model' was throwing a lot of static at me in the initial discussions of the shoot. I got the feeling she wasn't totally comfortable with doing it and decided less people on the shoot would be better. It's a bummer, because I would have liked to have some behind the scenes stuff and still shots of the setups. Oh well.
Old July 7th, 2009, 11:42 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noel Lising View Post
Travis, what story telling? I can watch this video without sound and still enjoy it. j/k
Success!! d;-)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery