DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   Surprise Wedding Concept Film! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/238656-surprise-wedding-concept-film.html)

Steve Zugelter July 8th, 2009 08:54 AM

Surprise Wedding Concept Film!

I haven't posted on here in a while but wanted to share my latest creation and get your feedback.

This was filmed over two days during Memorial Day weekend after months of pre production and I utilized all possible resources. This played at the surprise wedding, the guests thought they were attending a pre wedding reception for the couple's destination wedding the following weekend, the 4th of July. The event was on June 27th, and the guests had no clue was was coming. The bride came to me wanting something to show, possible a TTD and I came up with this concept never really expecting her to go for it. She did and it was a HUGE hit. You can read all about it and see the film in my blog. This is my first real concept film and I'd love your feedback, check it out!

Studio+Z Films Daphne + Jason: The surprise wedding concept film

Don Bloom July 8th, 2009 11:24 AM

very well done. I in car shots were terrific and the aerial shots were extreme.
I can see why the B&G loved it.
thumbs up!

Vito DeFilippo July 8th, 2009 11:28 AM

Steve, I thought that was great. Obviously, you put a lot of time and effort into the script and shot concepts, and it shows. Really well done and looks beautiful.

You should be proud of a great result.

Louis Maddalena July 8th, 2009 12:45 PM

i thought it was good... I just didn't understand how the jet ski fit in.

Steve Zugelter July 8th, 2009 12:57 PM

Thanks!

Thanks for the great comments. I had a blast with this piece and it was an insane experience both in production and in guest reaction. As far as the jet skis go, everything within this piece was relevant to the couple. The lake is actually part of the quarry and they used to climb the rock piles and ride their jet skies in the water. Thanks for watching and the great comments!

Dennis Murphy July 8th, 2009 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Zugelter (Post 1168902)
The lake is actually part of the quarry and they used to climb the rock piles and ride their jet skies in the water.

Ok, because I was thinking that I can't imagine walking my fiance up a pile of rocks/on a jet ski while she's dressed up to the limit with her high heels on.
Sounds like you got a great reaction that made the day epic. Nice work.

Martin Wiosna July 8th, 2009 09:20 PM

that looked awesome.

I wish every couple was that patient. That must have been a lot of takes and retakes!

In the end the product well worth it IMO.

Buba Kastorski July 9th, 2009 09:15 AM

Awesome!
how did you do the aerial shot, was it RC plane/chopper?

Steve Zugelter July 9th, 2009 09:30 AM

For the aerials, I used a helicopter. It was my first time in one and honestly a little unnerving with the door wide open, but the shots are very much worth it! Thanks for watching and the comments!

Kevin Duffey July 10th, 2009 12:32 AM

Wow! Seriously epic in quality. Great job. Did you video tape the guests and get their reaction when the screen went up? I thought the video might fade and show that next.. wanted to see how they reacted. What a really great concept. If you don't already, you should be putting this video up for one of them wedding video yearly awards contests. You may have a winner.

I would love to pitch a similar idea.. without the helicopter ride for areal shots however... I am curious how many hours you put in to this as the overall project? I'd ask for a rough idea of cost but that may be a bit much to post on a public forum. I'd guess quite a bit more than a normal wedding video tho.

Man, I am going to watch that again. Impressive!

Steve Zugelter July 10th, 2009 05:16 AM

Thanks Kevin! I really appreciate your comments.
I filmed the actual event with three cameras and I'm in the process of putting that together now. I didn't include that segment here because honestly, I felt it took away from the concept film itself. I know the reveal is part of the concept but the film is what I wanted feedback on, I plan on posting a revised version in my blog next week.
The film production lasted about 18 hours over two days and I utilized every resource I had available, including the helicopter. I then put another 25 hours or so in post. If you can do this for little or no money at all, I say do it, and do it for free. It will open so many doors that will lead to higher paying gigs. My first TTDs I did for free and they let to so many other gigs, including this one. I pitched the idea to her and gave her a number and she took it. Looking back it was worth much more than than, but I know with the exposure this has given me, I will get more gigs like this that will pay much more. Best of luck with it all!

Eugene Brown July 20th, 2009 10:39 PM

Steve, this whole concept was great man!! Wow!! Just Wow!!

Patrick Moreau July 21st, 2009 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Zugelter (Post 1168902)
As far as the jet skis go, everything within this piece was relevant to the couple.

i know our studio was confused by this too. perhaps with such a scene that stands out like that, it would be good to make it relevant to the viewer as well. why does this matter to us, or they story, or what your trying to say? don't get me wrong, i love levels of meaning, i love hiding things underneath the surface, but i think we still need to try and get our story across and make the main scenes fit into that or we run the risk of losing our impact and momentum. jet skis will draw a ton of attention, and when we don't understand what or why this is happening i think you lose everything you built.

very brave production steve. you built an awesome buzz around it too.

P.

George Pada August 23rd, 2009 02:21 PM

Very amazing work!

I also think that it will inspire all of us newcomers to try for something better! With deeper emotional impact. Thanks for sharing...

The only thing I noticed is that at 1:36 between the scene when he parks his car and the next there is a forgotten frame of the jewel from the brides dress.