DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   98.6% 5d destination sde (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/239204-98-6-5d-destination-sde.html)

Michael Gebben July 17th, 2009 11:18 AM

98.6% 5d destination sde

This was our first destination wedding and first wedding shot with nearly all 5D. Initially, the bride had no plans or budget whatsoever for wedding videography, but after seeing our work, she quickly booked us. We we totally stoked before the wedding, and we pulled it off with a two man crew. Preparation was vital in pulling off this SDE and showing it, along with a Love Story, before the first dances. And, for the record, this was edited entirely in Sony Vegas. Enjoy!

SDE- Amanda & David - DESTINATION SDE on Vimeo
Love Story- Amanda & David- DESTINATION Love Story on Vimeo

Winfried Dobbe July 18th, 2009 01:25 PM

Very good, very professional. I watched it until the end.

John De Rienzo July 18th, 2009 05:04 PM

It's all good, but if this is something I had filmed I would be frustrated with the constant wobbles and that would disappoint me!

Cheers.

Jawad Mir July 18th, 2009 07:52 PM

good video. really enjoyed it.

love the style and cuts

GREAT WORK

Keith Foster July 18th, 2009 09:35 PM

Awesome job! Thank you for sharing.

Ken Diewert July 18th, 2009 11:33 PM

Michael,

Nice work, Loved it... Especially considering it was SDE!

I just started bringing the 5d with me on a couple of weddings and on Friday I shot hdv (hv30/xlh1) simultaneously with the 5d for the ceremony. I was working solo so I set up the H1 with sennheiser wireless and the HV30 for b-roll. And wandered around with the 5d. I'm just blown away by the footage from the 5d though. To the point where I'm thinking more 5d and less hdv. However this is a departure from the tradition of a 60 minute finished version and I was wondering if you are marketing strictly as a 5-10 minute finished piece of vignettes.

Also can you share your lens and grip (stabilizer/dolly) info for the the piece.

Thanks.

Patrick Moreau July 19th, 2009 08:06 AM

hey michael,

thanks for sharing. you guys really stepped it up for this piece. you had some strong shots and sequences and to pull that off in an sde is always a challenge.

i would suggest taking a look at some of your sequences again and look at why you put certain shots where you did, and perhaps see if there was a way to slightly shuffle things and get quite a bit more impact. i know time is tight but the more the thought process on where things go becomes automatic the more efficient and the better sde you can pull of.

two examples of what i mean
-you show a dress shot, then do a slider shot of the bride with the dress on, then a shot of the bride without the dress saying something about being excited, and then back to earlier. i get how the dress shots are connected, but to me the use of timeshifting there really took away from the momentum. perhaps saving the dress shot for when she was going to put it on, then showing that, then her comment, then the dress on, then carry on with the story would build the piece more.
-the ceremony first kiss and bridal entrance. it felt like you showed your different angles of her coming down as entirely separate and unconnected shots rather than letting them build off each other. your slider reveal, as an example, was shown after we already saw the bride enter - so the reveal portion was negated. you then cut to black and followed her down but without connecting it to the rest i think you could have given that section some more oomph by a quick reworking.

again thanks for sharing. i tried to be as detailed as possible as i know you guys are always pushing yourselves and love the feedback.

P.

Michael Gebben July 20th, 2009 09:09 AM

Thanks for the nice comments everybody. We really do appreciate it!

John- Wobbles are something we're working on. But, we also like the natural, organic feeling as well. Definitely something to consider.

Ken- We love the 5D. We're definitely moving towards using it much more. Our lens setup was as follows- 16-35 canon, 50 1.4 nikon, 24-105, and 70-200. We also used the glidecam 2000 :) and cinevate slider.

Patrick- Your critique means a lot. We have been pushing the envelope, but it's good to hear some positive criticism. I can see what you're saying about the momentum of the piece. Sometimes, and only sometimes, we like to tease the audience a bit...but perhaps the dress shot you mentioned was a little too much. The entire entrance was a little crazy. I think, at that time, we were just trying to get the variety of shots in that would keep it moving. But, there is most definitely merit in not only keeping the piece moving with variety, but with natural flow of events as well. It's a great thought to keep in mind. Charles took a lot from what you had to say, so expect better oomph in the future.

For the record, we love detail. You guys seem to know a little bit about it. :)