Intro to Wedding DVD (Need advice!) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
For video clip sharing and feedback -- VIMEO links will automatically embed a player.

Old July 20th, 2009, 09:32 PM   #1
Intro to Wedding DVD (Need advice!)
Ferlon Webster Ferlon Webster is offline July 20th, 2009, 09:32 PM

Hello everyone,

There's a video of a wedding intro I did at the bottom, on vimeo: The footage is mixed (canon gl2 with an hv30)

Please read:
I'm pretty new here and I am also a beginning videographer. I began to shoot weddings with my godfather in May and I've done 4 to date (I've also done other events besides weddings, not many though). I need advice on what I can do to get a whole lot better in editing and also in shooting video. I believe I have a decent understanding of composition and how to edit but I know there is so much more to learn.

I shoot with a canon hv30, I have a rode videomic, a wide angle lens adapter w/a1 hood. I have a zoom h2 with a lapel mic, a glidecam hd2000, rode svm, and some new head phones on the way from b&h if this means anything.

He shoots with a GL2, thing is he shoots in full automatic mode and I hate that, I don't think the camera is even close to its' full potential in full automatic mode.

I also don't like the way the guys shoot who assist him, sometimes they are zoomed in so close to the persons face and start panning and it strains the eyes, it's hard for me to watch. The footage I shot is cropped and his footage is obviously not cropped. So advice on the cropped footage would be nice!

But anywho, I guess our footage doesn't mix well because I shot in HD and he's in SD but he doesn't mind this at all and loves my editing work. I on the other hand want advice from you all, because I've seen you guys work and it is absolutely amazing. I'd like all the advice you are willing to give and your honest opinions.

By the way I'm 22 years old and want to go on my own someday (soon I hope) to do event videography and continue to grow from there I thank you all for your help in advance!

Kind of embarrassed of the footage but what can I do to make the editing better? Thanks so much everyone!

I'm not good at uploading to vimeo, don't know the right settings, so the video lost a lot of quality and is darker.

Video of Wedding Intro: Wedding Intro Sample on Vimeo (you probably have to wait for vid to finish converting, I just uploaded it 5 min. ago, Thanks!)

Last edited by Ferlon Webster; July 20th, 2009 at 10:22 PM..

Ferlon Webster
Regular Crew
Views: 1239
Old July 20th, 2009, 10:30 PM   #2
Regular Crew

What software are you using to edit your videos?
Old July 20th, 2009, 10:33 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene Brown View Post
What software are you using to edit your videos?
I am using Premiere Pro CS3.
Ferlon Webster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2009, 10:44 PM   #4
Major Player

here is mine

i'm no expert but this is what i think.

What kind of style are you trying to achive. Is this your 1st or your 4th?

tell your godfather to stop the zoom and pan. ask him to get static shot, It better for you to work with. I got motion sickness when i watch the video. Get some shoulder mount or use the tripod more. By no mean in a bad way but your subject is already dark and with out any light it almost you have no subject so get some on cam light or film your subject in a well light enviroment, or don't use that dark footage at all. For those that wear white you can at lease see something. If you going to introduce the title or the name make sure at lease you can read them. just wat i think good luck keep watch more video from here and you will learn more
Thanh Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2009, 10:55 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanh Nguyen View Post
i'm no expert but this is what i think.

What kind of style are you trying to achive. Is this your 1st or your 4th?

tell your godfather to stop the zoom and pan. ask him to get static shot, It better for you to work with. I got motion sickness when i watch the video. Get some shoulder mount or use the tripod more. By no mean in a bad way but your subject is already dark and with out any light it almost you have no subject so get some on cam light or film your subject in a well light enviroment, or don't use that dark footage at all. For those that wear white you can at lease see something. If you going to introduce the title or the name make sure at lease you can read them. just wat i think good luck keep watch more video from here and you will learn more
Thank you very much for your advice, it is well appreciated! This was my second edit for him, and I'm not really sure what style I'm trying to achieve, I guess it's just developing. The thing is I don't know if I'm developing a style that is okay, not sure if it's acceptable or not?
Old July 20th, 2009, 11:10 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferlon Webster View Post
Hello everyone,

There's a video of a wedding intro I did at the bottom, on vimeo: The footage is mixed (canon gl2 with an hv30)

Please read:
I'm pretty new here and I am also a beginning videographer. I began to shoot weddings with my godfather in May and I've done 4 to date (I've also done other events besides weddings, not many though). I need advice on what I can do to get a whole lot better in editing and also in shooting video. I believe I have a decent understanding of composition and how to edit but I know there is so much more to learn.

I shoot with a canon hv30, I have a rode videomic, a wide angle lens adapter w/a1 hood. I have a zoom h2 with a lapel mic, a glidecam hd2000, rode svm, and some new head phones on the way from b&h if this means anything.

He shoots with a GL2, thing is he shoots in full automatic mode and I hate that, I don't think the camera is even close to its' full potential in full automatic mode.

I also don't like the way the guys shoot who assist him, sometimes they are zoomed in so close to the persons face and start panning and it strains the eyes, it's hard for me to watch. The footage I shot is cropped and his footage is obviously not cropped. So advice on the cropped footage would be nice!

But anywho, I guess our footage doesn't mix well because I shot in HD and he's in SD but he doesn't mind this at all and loves my editing work. I on the other hand want advice from you all, because I've seen you guys work and it is absolutely amazing. I'd like all the advice you are willing to give and your honest opinions.

By the way I'm 22 years old and want to go on my own someday (soon I hope) to do event videography and continue to grow from there I thank you all for your help in advance!

Kind of embarrassed of the footage but what can I do to make the editing better? Thanks so much everyone!

I'm not good at uploading to vimeo, don't know the right settings, so the video lost a lot of quality and is darker.

Video of Wedding Intro: Wedding Intro Sample on Vimeo (you probably have to wait for vid to finish converting, I just uploaded it 5 min. ago, Thanks!)

Ferlon....

It's easy to tell which shots are yours and which shots are coming from the GL2. It took me a long time to realize that sometimes the best shot is just a simple one. Meaning the camera mounted down on a tripod capturing the action in front. A well mixed video between static/handheld/steadycam...

-avoid the zooms... i didn't see to many in the video you had shot.

-I'm not a fan of the effects like the one you used at 2 48. Thats just me.

-Also keeping everything short. This could have been cut down by about a minute or more since some of the shots resembled the clips before.

I don't think you did a bad job overall. I might not even be the best person to take advice from. Keep having fun with it and watching what others post on this forum. This place really is the best class room to learn from.

Steve
Stephen J. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2009, 11:10 PM   #7
Major Player

set your selft a goal and try your best to achive that goal if you know what i'm talking about??? """The thing is I don't know if I'm developing a style that is okay, not sure if it's acceptable or not? """
Thanh Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2009, 11:18 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen J. Williams View Post
Ferlon....

It's easy to tell which shots are yours and which shots are coming from the GL2. It took me a long time to realize that sometimes the best shot is just a simple one. Meaning the camera mounted down on a tripod capturing the action in front. A well mixed video between static/handheld/steadycam...

-avoid the zooms... i didn't see to many in the video you had shot.

-I'm not a fan of the effects like the one you used at 2 48. Thats just me.

-Also keeping everything short. This could have been cut down by about a minute or more since some of the shots resembled the clips before.

I don't think you did a bad job overall. I might not even be the best person to take advice from. Keep having fun with it and watching what others post on this forum. This place really is the best class room to learn from.

Steve
Thanks for you advice, yeah I see exactly what you mean about cutting the footage down, I guess shorter is better when possible. Thanks again!
Old July 20th, 2009, 11:19 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanh Nguyen View Post
set your selft a goal and try your best to achive that goal if you know what i'm talking about??? """The thing is I don't know if I'm developing a style that is okay, not sure if it's acceptable or not? """
I see what you mean, I'll do that and I think with that in mind my videos will come out better too. Thank you!
Ferlon Webster is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery