Highlights with Stills at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery

Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
For video clip sharing and feedback -- VIMEO links will automatically embed a player.

Old August 3rd, 2009, 11:35 AM   #1
Highlights with Stills
Denny Kyser Denny Kyser is offline August 3rd, 2009, 11:35 AM

Here is a highlight show I just finished, I like the stills in it, but looking for other opinions.

Vorse Highlights on Vimeo

Thanks

Denny Kyser
Major Player
Views: 1062
Old August 10th, 2009, 07:34 PM   #2
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny Kyser View Post
Here is a highlight show I just finished, I like the stills in it, but looking for other opinions.

Vorse Highlights on Vimeo

Thanks
Yeash people . . . get some comments in here. I've been quite busy lately, making history in my state (and trying to pay the mortgage), but thought I could lend a comment or two to get the thread started....

keep in mind that everything I say is entirely one blowhard's opinion. I am by no means an expert cinematographer (though I would love to reach that status eventually). All my comments are obviously what _I_ would do and have very little bearing on what you should do. Every has a different market, different target audience.

Having said that . . . I'll give you a complete running commentary as I watch it (because I'm lazy and that is how I seem to do these things).......

at 0:18, you have a static shot of shoes, pillow, & garter. It is a nicely set up shot, but nothing moves. It might as well be a photo (which it could be, I can't tell). So that kind of stuck out as I watched it.

The next shot (0:25) is a pan R to L but it looks hand held. If at all possible, do pans on a tripod. Also, the pan ends but the video is still rolling. I would x-fade to the next shot while the pan is still happening so the motion doesn't stop and become noticeable.

your next shot straight down the aisle is pretty well done. The ever so slight shake indicates that you probably don't have a tripod or forgot to use one (because this shot is just screaming for a tripod or glidecam).

Again, the next shot after that is a static shot of the program. Well lit and composed, but it begged for some movement. Consider getting a hold of Mark & Trish's "Art of Moving Camera Techniques" or simply watching their videos posted to EventDV.tv (and other peoples How-To videos).

I really like your outside the church pan up shot (0.37). Very well done. Very smooth, especially for a hand held shot.

that is followed up by a shot of roses that is static. I would love to see some movement there. the colors are brilliant, and the DOF is lovely. Either shift the DOF (if it is a video clip) or apply some ken burns to the shot if it is a still photo.

Good to see some locked down shots (aisle shot) so I have to take back my earlier comment about you not having a tripod. The colors are not matched between the photo and hte video, so if possible experiment with the color wheels in your NLE to see if you can pump up hte saturation on the video to match the still.

Good angle at 1.00 to see the bride. The colors on this angle are a little too orange (because of the heavy wood background no doubt).

skipping a bit. good photos in there, but again, the stationary shots next to the video is a bit jarring when it shows up.

I would like to have heard some ambient audio VO in there, especially vows, prep, or something like that. That really kicks up the production value.

Overall, nice and clear video and good looking stills. I think the quality of the production could be bumped up significantly with just some minor changes in shooting habits and with inclusion of audio.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2009, 09:14 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for the detailed critique I actually have a fantastic tripod and head now, so no more excuses. I finally broke down and spent over a grand for a tripod, too many of you have stated that importance.

I am still learning tons, but went from ready to toss in the towel after a tough bride made me re edit, to having her as well as the next two just rave about the video. So back to practicing and learning even harder.
Old August 11th, 2009, 09:43 AM   #4
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny Kyser View Post
Thanks for the detailed critique I actually have a fantastic tripod and head now, so no more excuses. I finally broke down and spent over a grand for a tripod, too many of you have stated that importance.

I am still learning tons, but went from ready to toss in the towel after a tough bride made me re edit, to having her as well as the next two just rave about the video. So back to practicing and learning even harder.
Ugh. I feel for you on the rough words from a client. That is never fun to hear (and too easy to take personally).

Glad to hear a new tripod helped (though I'm still using the $150 Mathews starter tripods). I think just plain a lot of practice is what helped me.
Jason Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2009, 10:41 AM   #5
Major Player

Nice work. In my opinion a pan & zoom effect on the photos would have made the piece even better.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery