New Wedding Highlight !! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
For video clip sharing and feedback -- VIMEO links will automatically embed a player.

Old August 3rd, 2009, 01:05 PM   #1
New Wedding Highlight !!
Kren Barnes Kren Barnes is offline August 3rd, 2009, 01:05 PM

i want to share our latest piece, since i value the feedback of members from this forum , i am very much open to your honest opinion ...

Thanks everyone!

Elizabeth + Roger on Vimeo

Kren Barnes
Major Player
Views: 1123
Old August 4th, 2009, 05:39 PM   #2
Major Player

There was some great stuff in there and think you went for it well enough.. however..

I don't think you need to over edit (or compensate) with MB.. but I like the idea. On footage there is a lot of movement; if its a "steadicam" type of movemeent or a camera zoom.. it needs some cleaning up. There really needs to be a good mix of movement and really nice still shots that fill your frame to make it complete.

And if you don't have a stabilizer.. please don't pretend that you do :D
Old August 4th, 2009, 06:38 PM   #3
Major Player

Nice video!

some steadicam movement was a little bit overdone but Hey! I'm a steadicam person so don't mind it too much. I overdo a lot of steadicam myself because I simply can't help it sometimes..

Don't favor the glow effect on some of the coloring.. I think less is more will be better with this piece.

I love the first bit but I think the edit doesn't build up that much after halfway.

my 2 cents!

Santo
Old August 4th, 2009, 08:32 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Steadycam wasn't too steady, it was dreadful. Kren, you need to practice more with your steadycam, and then use it a lot less.

Filmic effects overdone. Original footage appears to have been overexposed in spots and under-exposed in others. Difficult to watch.

Kren, consider going for few conventionally framed shots now and then. The shot of the group walking down the street had way too much head room or down-below room, I forget, but it looked like amateur hour. Sloppy camera work is not cinematic, it is just sloppy.

It appears the camera person was trying overly hard to be cinematic but yet lacked some basic shooting skills. Need to learn to walk before we run.

I've seen lots of videos lately where people are trying to achieve a high-end look before they have mastered the basics. We have to learn, just too bad it's on someone else's dime.

It would be nice if people started at the beginning and worked their way up instead of the reverse, but I did the same thing. I began in the business intending to shoot and edit cinematic wedding "films" and now I'm concentrating on perfectly framed and steady shots.

Weird, huh?

Last edited by Jeff Harper; August 4th, 2009 at 11:07 PM.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2009, 09:28 PM   #5
New Boot

Amen finally someone speaks out!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
Steadycam wasn't too steady, it was dreadful.

Filmic effects overdone. Original footage appears to have been overexposed in spots and under-exposed in others. Difficult to watch.

Kren, consider going for few conventionally framed shots now and then. The shot of the group walking down the street had way too much head room or down-below room, I forget, but it looked like amateur hour. Sloppy camera work is not cinematic, it is just sloppy.

It appears the camera person was trying overly hard to be cinematic but yet lacked some basic shooting skills. Need to learn to walk before we run.

I've seen lots of videos lately where people are trying to achieve a high-end look before they have mastered the basics. We have to learn, just too bad it's on someone else's dime.

It would be nice if people started at the beginning and worked their way up instead of the reverse, but I did the same thing. I began in the business intending to shoot and edit cinematic wedding "films" and now I'm concentrating on perfectly framed and steady shots.

Weird, huh?
Mastering a camera for the wedding industry doesn't happen over night it takes years and let me tell you I run into camera operators that you got to shake your head.
I give out tips but they just go about there business.
Its called respect and the newer individuals in the business should join your local wedding video group for support and mentoring. You will learn allot faster and get more facts on shooting.
Your right me as a shooter and editor would spend about double amount of time on a video that was presented to me like this one.
This individual should just take his time and focus himself on his next shot and just take his time and not use his zoom so much first learn how to hold a camera steady!!!
Fred Todisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2009, 11:07 PM   #6
Inner Circle

The last time I asked someone to critique a video of mine was a while ago.

The man I asked to watch it got exasperated, rightly so. It was horrible. I used slow motion to cover up the fact I had trouble getting 5-10 seconds of steady, properly framed footage. Then I set it to music and thought it was a masterpiece.

Ever seen the episode of the Simpsons where Lisa becomes a filmmaker? I happened to see that earlier this evening and it would've been funny except it reminded me of myself when I began! I especially liked the part where she exclaims "I am a FILMMAKER!".
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery