DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   Lonnie&Haley | A Love Story (short) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/375005-lonnie-haley-love-story-short.html)

Travis Cossel September 8th, 2009 12:43 PM

Lonnie&Haley | A Love Story (short)

Here's one of our most recent love story videos. We went shorter with this edit, and I like the result. Enjoy!

Lonnie&Haley | A Love Story on Vimeo

Kren Barnes September 8th, 2009 03:27 PM

Great Job Travis!
We are avid fans of your filmwork!

Ken
Vertical Video Works | Official Site

Travis Cossel September 8th, 2009 04:38 PM

Thanks so much, Kren. Appreciate the comment on Vimeo as well!

Oleg Kalyan September 8th, 2009 04:58 PM

Travis, well done, (thought of cutting it a bit shorter)
The story is well told. Transitions between shots from her to him, was it necessary?
Plain cut could do, imho.

once again, good work!

Travis Cossel September 8th, 2009 05:59 PM

Thanks, Oleg. I didn't understand your first comment. Were you saying you would have cut this video even shorter?

Regarding the transitions in the interviews, I didn't like the look of the straight cut in this case. We actually shot the interviews with 2 cameras for wide and close-up shots, but a technical issue required us to throw out the wide angle footage. Normally we would straight cut from say .. a wide of the girl .. to a close-up of the guy .. then to a wide of the guy ... then maybe to a close-up of the girl. It looks nice like that. But I didn't like the look of the straight cut from close-up to close-up, so I used that short transition and just liked the look of it. d;-)

Thanks a lot for watching and for the comments.

Matt Barwick September 8th, 2009 11:50 PM

Great job Travis. Enjoyed pretty much everything about it.

I personally thought the length was great - sharp editing kept the story rolling & interesting and the transitions between the couple worked for me too.

The inter cutting of the proposal footage is gold - particularly with his son there to witness it. Another example of 'content being king'.

The mix of handheld, stabilised, glidetrack and static shots was spot on. No one shooting method overpowered the other.

Cheers,

Matt.

P.S. Funnily enough it's actually quite refreshing to see something NOT shot on the 5DII :)

Travis Cossel September 9th, 2009 12:47 AM

Thanks, Matt. I actually had to film that skydiving footage off my computer screen from the client's Facebook page, lol. But yeah, it was totally worth it. I actually changed it to B&W and increased the contrast to give it even more distinction from my own footage. The client doesn't know it's in there and is in for a great surprise at the reception.

I'm really happy you liked the mix of shooting methods. That's something I'm working really hard on, so it meant a lot that you noticed the balance.

Funny comment about the 5D. d;-)

Richard Wakefield September 9th, 2009 04:03 AM

really good travis - you've definitely got a style, and as matt said, great to see equal use of filming techniques (i try to do this myself too).

the couple are gonna love it!

Bill Vincent September 9th, 2009 05:45 AM

Great work, Travis! I love your eye for unique shots. Just really nice overall!!

Travis Cossel September 9th, 2009 12:30 PM

Thanks for the comments guys!

Jason Robinson September 9th, 2009 10:08 PM

Very slick. good story. only thing that stood out was that I couldn't quite hear the VO because the BG music was a little too loud.

Travis Cossel September 9th, 2009 11:14 PM

Jason, thanks for watching and for the input.