DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   Our First Wedding Shoot (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/377627-our-first-wedding-shoot.html)

Bill Vincent September 9th, 2009 05:30 AM

Our First Wedding Shoot

Hi all,

Here is a highlights reel from our very first wedding shoot, which happened on Sunday. All said, I think it turned out pretty good. We had a blast, and learned a huge amount. It was a great experience. Please let me know your thoughts! :)

Jon & Katie Wedding Highlights on Vimeo

Thanks all,

Bill

Bill Vincent September 9th, 2009 08:56 AM

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller??

Oren Arieli September 9th, 2009 11:45 AM

I think you did a fine job, especially for a first wedding. The song you chose could really be enhanced with the addition of some nat sound/vows/ or toasts. Instrumental songs sometimes lack the emotional 'punch' that a lyrical song would (movie scores nonwithstanding). There were a few shots that seemed a bit out of place (closed chafing dishes at 1:30 and a very shaky first dance shot around 1:54). Since the name of your company is 'First Dance Pictures', you should NAIL those shots above all others.
Thanks for sharing and rock on! (but don't rock the camera).

Don Bloom September 9th, 2009 12:04 PM

I agree with Oren about the natural sound and adding the vows. The one shot that didn't make sense to me was the one of the cup cake "cake", the shot was fine but I din't get the right pan off of it. I would have liked to see a slow push in to it but having said that overall it was well done and a good job for your first wedding.

Bill Vincent September 9th, 2009 12:26 PM

Thanks for the comments so far, guys, and for the tips. I may go back and tweak some more, I'm loading FCP 3 Studio as we speak and am ready to play with it anyway. It's still a work in progress, as it's going to evolve as my demo as well. I was also racing to get this out because I want to eventually get SDE's into the mix.

Thanks again for your suggestions and critique!

Travis Cossel September 9th, 2009 12:26 PM

For a first wedding you did excellent; solid editing and some good money shots. As Oren already mentioned, the first shot of the first dance was not a good shot. I'm guessing that was a 5D shot? Get a stabalizer like a monopod or a Steadicam and it will help a lot.

The other thing you might improve on is the coloring. Some of the shots had 'pop' to them while others were fairly flat.

But like I said, for a first wedding, you did a great job!

Paul Mailath September 9th, 2009 06:07 PM

Terrific, maybe a bit to much use of fade to black in the early part of the clip - I liked the shot of the bride coming down the stairs. the colour seemed a little washed out when you were on the bride's side at the ceremony - 2nd cam?

well done

Bill Vincent September 9th, 2009 06:12 PM

Yes, I had three distinctly different cams - a 5D, an HF20, and an XLH1 - all Canon, but all very different pictures. I was going to shoot a chip color bar chart to better match the cams in post, but of course, ran out of time. The difference you see between the groom side and the bride side is the 5D vs. the HF20. I did some color correction to match, but from the comments I could have gone further with it.

Thanks for the comments, Paul!

Bill Vincent September 9th, 2009 07:27 PM

I have decided to implement a couple of changes based on feedback - the new file will have a new vimeo link I will post here when it is uploaded fully. (If you're trying the video and it's not working right now, that's why). Thanks for all the great feedback!