my latest with all natural audio. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery

Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
For video clip sharing and feedback -- VIMEO links will automatically embed a player.

Old September 9th, 2009, 07:10 PM   #1
my latest with all natural audio.
Stephen J. Williams Stephen J. Williams is offline September 9th, 2009, 07:10 PM

Different approach I guess just using the audio off of my shotgun mic for the entire HL.

Steve

Dave & Alissa on Vimeo

Stephen J. Williams
Major Player
Views: 2021
Old September 9th, 2009, 07:26 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Really, really nice job Steve. Brave decision using just the natural audio but you nailed it. It definitely pushed you to produce a stronger, tighter piece rather than relying on background music as a fallback.

Using the (Spanish?) guitarist to cement the piece together is fantastic and the shot of the bride turning at 1:15 is just beautiful. Some may comment on the blown out whites but the shot trumps any technical nit picks!

Was this all shot on the one cam? Some of the shots looked razor sharp and some looked a little softer. Didn't detract from the piece - just to satisfy my curiosity...

Cheers,

Matt.
Matt Barwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 07:35 PM   #3
Major Player

Thanks a lot Matt...

Yep it was all shot on one camera... I used a newblue filter to brighten up some clips and maybe thats where the softness lies.

I did a pre wedding shoot a few months ago for them and the bride talked non stop about how excited she was about the spanish guitarist. Luckily I remembered that come wedding day and I'm hoping she'll like the video.

The "blown out" shot looks great in my opinion. I have always been a fan when others have pulled off the same look.

I appreciate the feedback as always :-)

Steve
Stephen J. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 07:44 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen J. Williams View Post
I did a pre wedding shoot a few months ago for them and the bride talked non stop about how excited she was about the spanish guitarist.
Way to connect with the couple. What can seem like little things like that make all the difference between creating something truly unique for them and something that came out of a 'chop shop'.

BTW - your spinning rings are improving :D
Matt Barwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 07:53 PM   #5
Major Player

Nice job, Stephen! Using all nat sound is a refreshing touch! Unfortunately the wedding I just did had a really bad pair of violinists (reeeeeallly bad) and I don't think the B&G would have wanted me to remind them of that nightmare... but it's great that you remembered about the guitarist. I loved the popping of the champagne and pouring. Simple sounds like that can have so much character!

Very cool... loved it!
Bill Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 08:00 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Barwick View Post
BTW - your spinning rings are improving :D
I've been practicing with mine here at home :-) Also the "roll-by"
Old September 9th, 2009, 08:02 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Vincent View Post
Nice job, Stephen! Using all nat sound is a refreshing touch! Unfortunately the wedding I just did had a really bad pair of violinists (reeeeeallly bad) and I don't think the B&G would have wanted me to remind them of that nightmare... but it's great that you remembered about the guitarist. I loved the popping of the champagne and pouring. Simple sounds like that can have so much character!

Very cool... loved it!
Thanks Bill...

I actually re-recorded the pouring sound at home in front of my computer. I wasn't sure if people would even notice the small details. So I thank you for noticing the small touches.

steve
Old September 9th, 2009, 08:10 PM   #8
Major Player

Great!!! Nailed it perfectly... Simple yet beautiful.
Lukas Siewior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 08:15 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Different and nicely done. I liked it.

I'm still practicing spinning the ring ;-)
Old September 10th, 2009, 08:55 AM   #10
Major Player

Oooh, Stephen, you did some foley for that pouring sound?? VERY nice!! You just raised the bar for everyone!! ;) I think I'm going to have to try doing a nat sound edit like this when the right wedding comes along.
Bill Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 10:53 AM   #11
Major Player

Very nicely done. I'm a big fan of nat sound over canned sound. If only all of my events had such a great background element to work with. Even then, the droning noise of guests tends to overwhelm the beauty of an acoustic instrument. Great balance on both allowed us to hear just enough of the voices without it being a distraction.
Oren Arieli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 11:15 AM   #12
Trustee

Nice Stephen,

This may be my favorite piece of your work. Love the the backlighting at 1:30 and again at 1:58. I felt that watching this (less one or two shots), that it could have been shot in Europe. Nice use of tight teaser shots (shoes, dress, neck tie, guitarist, etc). The whole piece had a very nice feel to it, which was brought together by the live guitar and the ambient audio.
Old September 10th, 2009, 02:15 PM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Diewert View Post
Nice Stephen,

This may be my favorite piece of your work. Love the the backlighting at 1:30 and again at 1:58. I felt that watching this (less one or two shots), that it could have been shot in Europe. Nice use of tight teaser shots (shoes, dress, neck tie, guitarist, etc). The whole piece had a very nice feel to it, which was brought together by the live guitar and the ambient audio.
Wow... What a great surprise to return home from real job and see all of these great comments. From the support of you guys I feel like my work might be taking a turn for the better. Thanks for taking the time to watch and most importantly comment.

Ken, I thought the same thing about it having the european look and feel.

Steve
Old September 10th, 2009, 08:15 PM   #14
Major Player

Stephen, really enjoyed this piece, documentary feel really makes it authentic, which nothing can beat.

On an add note, too little context shots, establishing the line, context of activity.
Has the beauty of it's own however a bit hectic, disorienting, on the other hand.
Overall it's a significant step forward in a docu direction. Congratulations!

Last edited by Oleg Kalyan; September 10th, 2009 at 10:21 PM.
Oleg Kalyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 08:26 PM   #15
Trustee

Stephen, that was by far the best thing I've seen from you, and and near the top of the pile of anything I've seen here. Great, great work. It's so refreshing to see a new approach tried...and done well. Congrats.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery