DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   A new short Greek wedding teaser (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/385700-new-short-greek-wedding-teaser.html)

Dimitris Mantalias September 11th, 2009 07:22 AM

A new short Greek wedding teaser

Well, this is, as the title suggests, a short teaser from a recent Greek wedding. Any comments would be appreciated, especially since it will go public in few hours.

Just for the talk, we used Nikon Lens on Jag35 adaptor in the initial teaser shots, while the rest of them are either shot by hand, Flowpod or Glidecam 4000. We tried not to give away too much though until the whole wedding will be complete (and that will take some time, we still edit May works!).

Thanks for reading!

http://vimeo.com/6530727

Yunisbel Marrero September 11th, 2009 12:19 PM

what is the password?

Dimitris Mantalias September 11th, 2009 01:32 PM

My mistake. I removed the password an hour ago from the video, and I did the same from my post but I didn't know this couldn't affect the link I gave you. I edited my original message and now it plays fine. Sorry about that.

Stelios Christofides September 11th, 2009 02:31 PM

Dimitris
I really liked your video clip and especially the music.The scene of the fathers bride getting emotional (00:58) is priceless. The only thing I would commend is to use your tripod more often as some beautiful shots were a bit spoiled by the hand movement.
Did you see my wedding clip? Any commends?

Stelios

Dimitris Mantalias September 11th, 2009 04:34 PM

Thanks Stelios. You're right about the father scene, I was trying to stay away with full zoom from the moment I saw him going there, because people are usually hold themselves when the camera is near. :)

About the camera handycam movement (you mean the initial 35mm shots, right?), well, you may be right, but it's done on purpose actually, since there is always a monopod/tripod/glidetrack around. The reason is I really love the "shaky" style to be present from time to time, influenced maybe (or certainly) from many modern cinema filmmakers. I won't pretend we can do it as good as they do, but I like this style and I hope its minimum usage in the trailer doesn't ruin the whole thing. For history I should mention another teaser we made using only the 35mm handycam camcorder (which was also our first experiment with 35mm). I am talking about this one. Vasilis & Dimitra Cinematic Teaser on Vimeo

Regarding your video, I think every provider in my area has a problem since yesterday, specifically they stream in dialup speeds, making video viewing impossible (I was desperately trying to watch Oleg Kalyan's latest but my provider don't like me at the moment). When everything goes back to normal, I'll take a look.

Bill Vincent September 11th, 2009 05:39 PM

Hi Dimitris,

Beautifully shot work, I loved watching! As for handheld shooting, I think it's fine sometimes as long as it doesn't detract from the story you're trying to tell. It didn't bother me much as I watched, and I would have said so if it did - so I think it's probably okay from a creative decision perspective. :)

Nice job!

Stelios Christofides September 12th, 2009 04:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimitris Mantalias (Post 1341649)
...The reason is I really love the "shaky" style to be present from time to time, influenced maybe (or certainly) from many modern cinema filmmakers. I won't pretend we can do it as good as they do...

Well if it was done on purpose then I suppose I can't complain, nevertheless as far as I am concern I really hate this look that some directors are using in some latest motion movies. Sometimes I think that the camera man has a Parkinson disease...lol. but I suppose if cinema goers like you like it who am I to object. It's like a painting I suppose, some people like it some hate it. I wonder who started this style in the first place?

Stelios

Dimitris Mantalias September 12th, 2009 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stelios Christofides (Post 1343684)
Well if it was done on purpose then I suppose I can't complain, nevertheless as far as I am concern I really hate this look that some directors are using in some latest motion movies. Sometimes I think that the camera man has a Parkinson disease...lol. but I suppose if cinema goers like you like it who am I to object. I wonder who started this style in the first place?

Stelios

It goes many years back (Godard for example), but from the recent ones, I can remember Lars Von Trier (and the Dogme movement), Paul Greengrass (totally amazing camera work, Bourne 2-3 and United 93 were breathtaking), Alfonso Cuaron and Inaritu. All of them at the top of my favorite directors list.

And of course let's not forget Spielberg who made handheld go mainstream when the world first watched "Saving Private Ryan".

Stelios Christofides September 12th, 2009 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dimitris Mantalias (Post 1343697)
...And of course let's not forget Spielberg who made handheld go mainstream when the world first watched "Saving Private Ryan".

"Saving Private Ryan" is one of my best movies I saw and i never really noticed that it was made handheld. Oh well, it must have been so well made then.
Thanks Dimitri for all the info.

Stelios

John De Rienzo September 13th, 2009 10:23 AM

Hi Dimitris,

I have not read others comments as I do not wish to be influenced by them.

I love this piece. I like the edginess to some of the hand held shots as well as the mix of gliding shots. Beautifully put together.

My only reservations was the beginning title clashed for me with the change of scenes. Maybe keep the title on for one scene only!

There was also a gliding shot shortly after which had no real meaning to me in a hallway! and it was cut short. Only minor and based on what I found distracting.

Really good piece.
Thank you for sharing.

Cheers,

John De Rienzo

Dimitris Mantalias September 13th, 2009 03:43 PM

John, thank you for your reply. The hall scene was inside the hotel as I was moving to the hotel room where the bride was (the next scene). But you're right. It may be obvious for me or the bride but not for the ones that weren't there. Next time I will upload my videos here a couple of days (and not some hours as I did with that video) before I let them go public, so I can have helpful opinions.

Thanks again!