DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   Room for improvement - Highlights clip (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/389219-room-improvement-highlights-clip.html)

Richard Wakefield September 12th, 2009 05:30 AM

Room for improvement - Highlights clip

Hi all

(damn, can't compete with the likes of Oleg, but posting anyway ;)

Jo and Andy - Wedding Highlights on Vimeo

I've decided that from now on I will tone down colour-grading and those goddam white flashes!
Any other room for improvement?
(Maybe a bit of VO wouldn't have gone astray, but I decided against it on this occasion.)

thanks all

Stephen J. Williams September 12th, 2009 08:59 AM

Richard...

I always love how you incorporate the text into your videos...
Personally I've always been a fan of your color grading. This piece did look great without it IMO. I loved the shot at 44' and the closing shot of the bouquet.
One thing I found a --> little <-- was the lights from the reception overlapping the first dance.

By the way "the trained eye" .... AWESOME!!!!!!!

Steve

Ken Diewert September 12th, 2009 11:40 PM

Richard,

While I'm a big fan of Oleg's work, I'm also a fan of your work. Though I've been shooting for a long time, and shot my first wedding nearly 20 years ago, I've only really taken weddings seriously this past season. It's because of looking at work like this over the past 2 years that inspired me to look at shooting weddings in a whole new way, continually striving to improve my shooting and story telling.

One of the things I most appreciate about this forum is the global nature of it, and the fact that we can learn from watching our peers work. Thanks for sharing.

Richard Wakefield September 13th, 2009 12:51 AM

Thanks so much guys, really!
I think it's so great how we all enjoy watching, or being inspired by, others on here. This forum has opened my eyes for what is possible and I've often excitedly gone away with creative ideas. (avoiding the word 'copying' coz I don't mean that!)
So I'm personally glad I might inspire others too, it's sort of like returning a favour!

Stephen, I'm not even going to fight my case with that 1st dance comment. Ur right, and actually it does look a bit old-school to have the overlapping lights like that! Def room for improvement there, thanks :)

re The Trained Eye, more to come from that - quite a nice, refreshing sideline I have to say ;)

Vito DeFilippo September 13th, 2009 01:33 PM

Hey Richard,

I thought it was great. You shoot so well, and have an interesting mix of angles, shot size, etc. Kept me interested all the way through. Nice work with the stabilizer and the slider, too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Richard Wakefield (Post 1343817)
damn, can't compete with the likes of Oleg, but posting anyway ;)

I feel your pain. I stop posting once in a while after watching Oleg's stuff, too. Then I figure, what the hell, I'll try again...

Jeff Harper September 13th, 2009 02:05 PM

My opinion does not match the others...I personally do not care for the song selection with the footage. Also the fast moving mouths at the beginning just don't work for me and conflict with the tone of the song. Very few shots of the family together which I would expect witht the theme of this song. Also, the song is female singing to a man, so the shot of her eyes and mouth during the words "eye" and "voice" are backwards and out of sync to me. Those shot should clearly be him not her.

Some very nice shots, but overall not the song I would use with your footage. I've used the song to great effect with tons of family shots and closeups, shots of people hugging, which I believe is what is called for here.

Everyone else seems to love it, but just my two cents.

John De Rienzo September 13th, 2009 03:11 PM

Hi Richard. You did a nice job.

I would like to see you get more closeups as well, get more expressions, people laughning and personalities. It adds more intamacy and engages the viewer with the piece.

I do like the gliding shots etc but find most of the time its just distant shots with backs of people, or with the glidetrack, shoe shots. Hope this makes sense.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers,

John De Rienzo

Tim Sargent September 13th, 2009 04:55 PM

HI Richard

Love the clip - keep up the good work

By the way, what wide angle do you use? Its awesome

Tim

Richard Wakefield September 14th, 2009 02:40 AM

Jeff/John - yep, totally taken on board those comments, great to hear what you think. will see if i can think more about the shots/song-lyrics for next time...

tim - cheers - it's a 72mm fisheye lens that i use - trying to source a good WA too at the moment, coz that fisheye is too extreme at times!

cheers