DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   A "Dirty Dancing" highlight re-edit... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/466354-dirty-dancing-highlight-re-edit.html)

Matt Barwick October 23rd, 2009 07:17 PM

A "Dirty Dancing" highlight re-edit...

Hi Guys,

Thought I'd share this recent clip with you all.

This wedding is actually from April 08. Long story short the couple were after a few changes to their extended highlights (~ 25 minutes) and due to personal circumstances their project was left open this long. Not something I would normally do but I was really happy I could help them out.

Anyway - during the re-edit I realised some of the great footage I had and had a 'lightening bolt' moment & really felt like I could do it more justice putting together a shorter, tighter version.

Their first dance was the "Time of my life" routine from Dirty Dancing - they did a full rehearsal on the beach prior to the reception and then pulled it off amazingly later in the night (lift included!). I thought it was a great opportunity to combine the two. Anyone who's checked out my site will no doubt recognise some of the footage which I still think holds up pretty well.

There's no flashy camera moves, no shallow DoF shots and way more slo-mo that I would use these days but I still think it works. Normal speed, particularly the combination of this track & the dance footage just didn't look right.

Any comments appreciated. Thanks for watching!

Cheers,

Matt.

Stephen J. Williams October 23rd, 2009 07:44 PM

Matt...

Great work... Was the dance rehearsal on the beach planned or just "right place at the right time"... It pieced together real well.
Just another example how simplicity when done right can look amazing.

Steve

Susanto Widjaja October 23rd, 2009 08:50 PM

I LOVE THAT SONG..!!! I've been meaning to use it but kinda worried because its not the typical love song... I agree that the slow mo is a bit too much. nice dance rehearsal cut in with the actual dance...

Well done! :)

You're giving me the courage to use that song now :P

Jim Snow October 24th, 2009 05:00 PM

Well Done! I like the way you weaved the footage from the rehearsal on the beach with the First Dance at the reception - nice touch.

Matt Barwick October 25th, 2009 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen J. Williams (Post 1437060)
Matt...

Great work... Was the dance rehearsal on the beach planned or just "right place at the right time"... It pieced together real well.
Just another example how simplicity when done right can look amazing.

Steve

Hey Steve - thanks for taking the time to check it out also your kind words. With the practice dance, it was at the end of the photo shoot and they wanted to have one last go at it before heading up to the reception so I guess planned to some degree. The final lift on the beach didn't work out after 2-3 attempts so was good to be able to cut to the reception version.

Thanks again.

Cheers,

Matt.

Matt Barwick October 25th, 2009 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susanto Widjaja (Post 1437085)
I LOVE THAT SONG..!!! I've been meaning to use it but kinda worried because its not the typical love song... I agree that the slow mo is a bit too much. nice dance rehearsal cut in with the actual dance...

Well done! :)

You're giving me the courage to use that song now :P

Thanks for checking it out Santo!

I love that track too and think it works really well here. This was done as more of a personal project than anything else and funnily enough when I showed the bride she loved it but did comment that she thought the song choice was 'too sad'.

Yeah - the slo-mo is a little bit heavy and probably a reflection on how I was shooting then - I'd certainly shoot it a little differently these days.

Cheers,

Matt.

Matt Barwick October 25th, 2009 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Snow (Post 1437415)
Well Done! I like the way you weaved the footage from the rehearsal on the beach with the First Dance at the reception - nice touch.

Thanks very much Jim - I was pretty happy with the combination of the two. Proved to be quite a valuable exercise.

Cheers,

Matt.