complete short form edit at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery
For video clip sharing and feedback -- VIMEO links will automatically embed a player.

Old November 1st, 2009, 05:33 AM   #1
complete short form edit
Scott Hayes Scott Hayes is offline November 1st, 2009, 05:33 AM

this wedding was shot back in May, in Sarasota. I cut it in a chronological short form style.
Let me know what you all think, I don't think I have ever posted a completed wedding.

shot with EX1, HMC150, and A1. Run time is 32 minutes.

Last edited by Scott Hayes; November 1st, 2009 at 07:44 AM..

Scott Hayes
Major Player
Views: 1827
Old November 3rd, 2009, 08:56 AM   #2
Major Player

Hiya Scott,

I should be honest straight up... I didn't watch all of it, but I did watch a significant bit. The first thing that came to my mind is wow... there's a ton of editing time here. You've created this piece as if it were a broadcast doc, (or as you said, "shortform style") and it's a really wonderful piece - I'm sure the B&G were completely blown away by this. How long did this take you to complete?

The only thing I would say is to maybe consider breaking it up into chunks for their DVD (if you haven't already done so). Even 42 min. broadcast shows have commercial breaks, which serve as good 'viewing breaks' as well. Just a thought. There's lots of natural places in your piece to do it easily and organically.

Overall, a very, very nice work - your clients should be beyond thrilled with this. I hope they were paying you for all that extra time....
Bill Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2009, 09:15 AM   #3
Major Player

Hi Bill,

Thank you very much for the compliment! It took quite a while. I don't even think I could begin to count the hours. I also did a full length long form ceremony edit for them as well as segment for the band. Compensation was good, but I put a lot of extra time fine tuning because it is the biggest $$$ amount wedding I have shot.
Scott Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2009, 09:04 PM   #4
Major Player

scott..

I watched this the other day for about 15 minutes. I thought it was really great. I loved how you spliced in the interviews with friends and family. I hope that I get the opportunity to create something like this one day.

steve
Stephen J. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2009, 04:01 PM   #5
Major Player

Great work Scott! Question - you mixed up the toasts, narrative elements and detail shots so well - what is your approach to that? Do you just feel your way along and see how it falls together? Do you lay down the verbal structure first and then fill it in with visuals? Just curious if you use the same approach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hayes View Post
this wedding was shot back in May, in Sarasota. I cut it in a chronological short form style.
Let me know what you all think, I don't think I have ever posted a completed wedding.

Cristin + Justin - Complete Wedding on Vimeo

shot with EX1, HMC150, and A1. Run time is 32 minutes.
Joel Peregrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2009, 04:45 PM   #6
Major Player

Thanks Joel!

this one was really complicated, we shot sooo much footage! since I pieced together
in chronological order, I had to decide first what "feel" I wanted. so the first arduous
task was selecting music and not using the same stuff i had been, which I think I inevitably did because it fit. I then went through and picked the strongest shots, then went about selecting the best audio clips from each segment. I started over on some segments several times. Some edits, I just fly by the seat of my pants, others I know how I want them to go as I am shooting. I have another full edit I may post this weekend.
Scott Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2009, 12:42 PM   #7
Major Player

Kudos for posting an entire video - Great work!

It is very difficult to judge a wedding video - the only relevant criteria is how well you tell their story. And the family are the only people whose opinion matters.

As an outsider I thought the first half of the edit came off a little flat. I would have chosen a more segmented approach to the edit - to vary the pacing. But I can see that approach might detract from the story.

To be fair I must admit that when watching most samples my feeling is the opposite - too much attention to cinematic effect and too little to the narrative. So please do not take my comments negatively.

PS - I searched "complete wedding" on Vimeo and yours is the only one. That is really bizarre when you think about it.
Peter Ralph is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Special Interest Areas > Wedding / Event Videography Techniques > Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery