DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Wedding & Event Video Sample Clips Gallery (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/)
-   -   Newbie Wedding Trailer! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/wedding-event-video-sample-clips-gallery/467880-newbie-wedding-trailer.html)

Christian Filippone November 17th, 2009 07:57 AM

Newbie Wedding Trailer!

Hi my name is Christian I have been a qualified Chef for about 9 years. I have always had a passion for film so for the last couple of years I have spent a lot of time learning from sites such as this one. This Forum is has pretty much taught most things I know about the Film world. So a big thank you to all the professionals that spend a lot of time to share their knowledge.
So here is my first trailer. Please let me know what you think & remember that I'm pretty much self taught so be nice!

Stephen J. Williams November 17th, 2009 09:03 AM

Christian...

Wow you picked this is up pretty well... I'm another self taught person who learned/learning from this forum as well. I must be a slow learner if this is your first trailer:-)

The shots were nice... Some were out of focus or slow to come into focus. Were you using MF or AF?

I really liked the detailed bar shots. I think it's a good way to add to the story.

Steve

Roze Hanks November 17th, 2009 09:26 AM

Way to go Christian!

Beautious work Christian! Very good eye for composition, music timing is perfect. Love being able to hear the applause in the background when they enter the reception.

One "imho" thing... from 1:24-1:127 the shots of the husband are a little "hot"... too bright compared to previous shots, particularly the one just before that sequence. All others have a nice, rich subtle tone, not too dark for the content or too bright. That's my only suggestion for a 'fix'.

Really awesome first effort! You are well on your way. Looks like you have had a good bit of fine art photography experience. Great job!!!

Jim Snow November 17th, 2009 02:13 PM

Very nicely done. Keep it up and you will become a recognized figure in the business. I really like your composition in a number of the shots. You also did a good job with synchronizing shot transitions with the music. The only suggestion I have is go easy on the focus transitions and use of shallow depth of field. Both of these techniques add a lot to a production but there is an optimum balance. If they are overused, it can detract from the viewing experience.

You have some real talent. I really enjoyed watching your work.

Christian Filippone November 18th, 2009 05:42 AM

Thanks for the feedback

Thank you!! I really appreciate all the feedback I can get specially coming from professionals. I really have a big passion for film & I'm constantly trying to better my work with every job that I get. I have taken what I learnt in the kitchen that every dish you create has your name on it so before it leaves the kitchen it has to be 110%!!
So all positive or negative feedback I will take it & learn from it so thanks again!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen J. Williams (Post 1448503)
Christian...

The shots were nice... Some were out of focus or slow to come into focus. Were you using MF or AF?

Steve

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim Snow (Post 1448503)
I have is go easy on the focus transitions and use of shallow depth of field. Both of these techniques add a lot to a production but there is an optimum balance. If they are overused, it can detract from the viewing experience.

Steve

Hi Steve & Jim, I was using the Letus Extreme for groom, brides & locations so it was manual focus only for those shots. I thought it was a cool effect to go from out of focus to in focus but I probably over used the effect.

Roze... I didn't even realise those shots were too hot, thanks for pointing that out for me. I will fix that with the original edit.

Roze Hanks November 18th, 2009 09:41 AM

You are WELL on your way Christian. Beautiful work. Keep sharing. It will be interesting to see where you go next! And I agree with other about your sync with music. Great sense of timing / pacing! Cheers and God Bless, Roze

Dimitris Mantalias November 18th, 2009 04:02 PM

Christian, if this is your first take on weddings, I am sure in the future you will show us some mighty impressive stuff. Maybe the in and out of focus shots are more than needed, but the editing is very nicely done and overall it's hard to believe that this is a "first-timer's" video. Thanks for sharing!

Sarah Pendergraft November 18th, 2009 07:56 PM

Christian,

Is this your first wedding ever, or just your first trailer? It's great no matter what, but if this is your first wedding... wow!

BTW, did you get your logo animation from revostock? I almost bought that but I don't have trapcode particular so I just made something up myself.

Great job.

Sarah Pendergraft
PenWeddings | Oklahoma Wedding Films | Tulsa Wedding Video

Christian Filippone November 18th, 2009 07:56 PM

Dimitri...

Hi Dimitri & Sarah thanks for the comment! Just to clarify things. I have filmed & edited Only about 6 weddings in the last 2 years while still cooking as a chef, but this is my first attempt at a wedding trailer. I normally give the client 20 minute highlights but after watching some very cool wedding trailers from other studios I got inspired to do one myself! Hopefully this will get me more work in the future!! ;)

btw I'm very keen in taking my work to another level so if any studios out there are offering training or work experience please let me know!! I will happily carry all your equipment bring you coffee when you need it & I can also cook a mean breakfast!!! I would love to see how the Pros do it!!